Bishmeister's Darklands Hobby Blog

For Mierce products as well as anything else you may want to show off
Bishmeister

Bishmeister's Darklands Hobby Blog

Postby Bishmeister » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Hello to all the peoples of the Darklands and beyond.

This blog will document my progress through the Darklands and Mierce Miniatures hobby.

I will be painting their wonderful miniatures and documenting any work in progress on any Darklands terrain or scenery projects (of which I hope their will be many).

I am generally a slow blogger and if you want a daily/weekly update follow me on Twitter @bishmeister1.

Firstly a little background about myself.
I have been involved in miniature painting for 27 years, 25 years solely spent on GW miniatures.
During the Mighty Monsters Kickstarter I discovered Mierce Miniatures and Darklands and could not resist the exquisite models.
Having built up a massive collection of miniatures over the years (most of which will sadly never be painted) I decided it was a good time to make the switch to spending my limited disposable income on quality models rather than accumulating quantity. This may also help with my pledge to paint every miniature that I own. So I jumped in and then the amazing models just kept coming and I couldn't resist.

I am now collecting five kindreds:
Erainn - it was the Fen Beasts that started my obsession with these guys, I also spend a fair bit of time in Ireland.
Fomoraic - what can I say, loads of massive beasts, Uthull is my favourite ever model, such an amazing sculpt.
Jutes - amazing looking Undead, I've always been a fan of skeletons, blame Ray Harryhausen and Jason and the Argonauts for that one.
Infernii - Just could not resist the best looking demon models on the planet.
Byzantii - I never intended collecting this army despite growing up in a village founded by the Romans and spending much of my childhood playing in the ruins of a Roman Fort but again the miniatures sucked me in.

Fortunately I have bought most of my miniatures through Kickstarter so have yet to receive them. This is fortunate as I am not overwhelmed by unassembled and unpainted miniatures.
I have painted one so far but it is a big one, Vaak, for the Fomoraic. I enjoyed painting at this scale and was using this model to try out my ice painting technique which I had never attempted before. I also tried out snow basing and grass tufts for the time.
I am happy with the results and am looking forward to painting Skaadi using the same technique when she arrives.
I used a Zenithal effect going from very light blue to very dark blue.
Enough words for now, here are the pictures of Vaak

I have also the started construction of a Darklands specific gaming table that will incorporate hills, a river, woodlands, Byzantii monuments and a Temple emerging from a cliff face.

Thanks for reading.
zedmeister

Re: Bishmeister's Darklands Hobby Blog

Postby zedmeister » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:47 pm

That is a gorgeous paint job for one of my favourite models. Looking forward to see what else you produce!

Even the base is wonderous. What materials and colours did you use for it?
Pirate Robot Ninja

Postby Pirate Robot Ninja » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:35 pm

zedmeister wrote:That is a gorgeous paint job for one of my favourite models. Looking forward to see what else you produce!

Looks like bark?

Gorgeous paint job, definitely. Can't wait to see the rest of your work!

Let me also just say that the quality of paint logs on this forum is astounding. Makes me feel very intimidated about posting my own work!
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:27 pm

Bish where is you live?
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Phil Winstanley

Postby Phil Winstanley » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:28 pm

Jonathon Chester wrote:Bish where is you live?

He says, sounding like a pervert :P
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:35 pm

barefootquill wrote:
Jonathon Chester wrote:Bish where is you live?

He says, sounding like a pervert :P

Lol was wonderingly if he was near me for gaming
Phil Winstanley

Postby Phil Winstanley » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:59 am

I figured :P
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:10 pm

barefootquill wrote:I figured :P

anyway you get the SHeffield Slaughter blog posts up! I want to sup on the rage of game 5 ;)
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:38 pm

zedmeister wrote:That is a gorgeous paint job for one of my favourite models. Looking forward to see what else you produce!

Thanks for the compliments. Pirate Robot Ninja is correct, the rock formation on the base is made up from bark, not sure which tree though but it had been felled.

The base was a bit of trial and error, the first attempt at snow it went yellow so I scraped it off with a wire brush which also scraped the grey paint off which actually gave a noce effect as it added some brown into the base. The second snow attempt I used powdered glass, white paint and PVA as I wanted a slushy effect to give the impression that the snow is melting. The snow is also concentrated to the rear of the base to give the impression that Vaak is coming from the North. I glued on sand which was then painted green and dry brushed a lighter green for the moss effect. PVA for the water and a mixture of tufts and flock for the grass/planting.

Pirate Robot Ninja, thank you, don't be intimidated, be inspired, I've been painting for a very long time.

Jonathon Chester, I live in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. Your comment and the responses did make me laugh.

If you live in the area it would be great to catch up for some Darklands.
Phil Winstanley

Postby Phil Winstanley » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Jonathon Chester wrote:
barefootquill wrote:I figured :P

anyway you get the SHeffield Slaughter blog posts up! I want to sup on the rage of game 5 ;)

I will, moving house takes a toll you know :P

@Bish - sorry to derail, want to see more stuff from you , the above is stunning!
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:08 pm

More progress on the Darklands Briton board. Currently working out the trees I require.

The hills need a little more filler and I have yet to create this cliff.

I will be making the Byzantii temple removable to give the board more options.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 pm

I live in Coventry mate (sorry for the long reply didn't see it until now!) so could sort something out in the future. Board looks great can't wait to see models on it when it's all done.
Tim Fisher

Postby Tim Fisher » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:48 am

You might see it sooner than you think! ;0)
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:29 am

Well it’s been a year to the day since my original post here and I thought it could do with an update.

Firstly, I’ve had a busy year, particularly working on Darklands projects. All the Kickstarters have really fuelled my hobby passions for this game.
With regards to Kindreds I’m now collecting Albainn as this seemed a bit of a no brainer with their amazing looking monsters and I managed to get Gomagg for free from one of the kickstarters.

Anyway let’s go back in time to a year ago and continue this blog of the creation and construction of the Darklands table.

During the construction of the Darklands table I contacted Rob and Tim at Mierce and asked if they would like to use this table for their demo games at Salute 2016. They were both hugely enthusiastic so this gave me a deadline to work towards which I find necessary to complete hobby projects. In my discussions with Rob he stated that he only had space for a 4’x4’ demo table. This was actually a bonus as I would not be able to complete the entire 6’x4’ table for Salute 2016. So I focused my efforts on the river section and monument section.

After a tonne of filling, sanding and cladding all the flat areas with pvc it was ready for painting.
Primer

A couple of scale shots with Vaak and Uthuull

Pre shading

Rockwork spraying completed with five different colours speckled on and then green for moss. The speckling helps to give a more natural rock appearance. I was going for a granite type rock of northern England.

The river section with brown airbushed on in streaks, I wanted the impression of shallows and deep water.

Grass sheets added, this was the paper variety, great stuff albeit incredibly bright and vivid.

With trees, I wanted an autumnal look to the table.

Detail of the tomb entrance that has been ‘greened up’ and had foliage added.

I sprayed the grass with a brown spray to knock back the colour and make it more natural and dirty looking.

Some action shots

Next onto the column which I had cast in plaster and added a 54mm Roman soldier figure to the top.

The column and plinth were heavily weathered which was easy to achieve in the plaster. This was sealed with pva, sprayed off white and I then set about using brown and green washes to add weathering and dirt.

I wanted to have a Roman road running through the table, this would also help to disguise the join in the table sections. After some research I settled on this design. The white areas are pvc, the blue are foam with rocks and sand. This was built in three sections to allow me to replace the middle section with a T-junction as I would be adding a bridge over the river section to connect the third table section in the future.

The water effects were poured onto the river section. I had some issues with this as it took over 2 months to go completely hard and was still tacky whilst being played on at Salute. The resulted in some damage but I’m hoping that this can be cured with another thinner pour of water effects.

The table in action at Salute 2016 at the Mierce stand with Rob Boyce giving a demo game.

The two Robs in action

After the storm of Salute the monument section sat in my hobby room where I was able to display all my Mierce miniatures.

Personally for me 2016 was a year of highs and lows: In April I completed my first ever wargames table, displayed this at Salute where I was lucky enough to meet and chat with Rob, Tim and the Militia from Mierce. In July I survived bowel cancer and sepsis thanks to the NHS and my wife. I have been able to cope through my recovery by throwing myself into the hobby which has kept me looking forward and focused on goals in life to achieve.

So one year on and another conversation with Rob regarding this year’s Salute. Rob stated that Mierce had a dedicated demo space and would like to have a 6’x4’ table. Awesome. This gives me the perfect incentive to complete the next section of the table, which I hope will be the most impressive. This section is a hillside with a Byzantii temple on it, whilst working out the scaling of the table I had to reduce the size of the Temple as it would leave no room for gaming. This resulted in just having the porch of the temple which is the most impressive piece anyway and allows for another table section for expansion in the future.

Some updated pictures of the board with some gorgeous Mierce miniatures on it.

With the third table section I wanted to have the Byzantii temple removable. This was because I wanted to have the option of just a hillside which would increase the table’s versatility. I also have a rather tight deadline to complete and plan to work on the temple once the table is near enough complete. Most of the construction work was complete, I just need to add some rock work, pvc for the flat areas and built some sides to the table. I had originally planned to construct a cliff face on the edge of the table but scaled this back to some rocky outcrops.

Rockwork complete, pvc added, filled and sanded.

With the rockwork complete I added lots of rubble, stones and sand for a more natural look. The trip to this is to use stones and gravel of varying sizes. This was then sealed with pva glue.

Large stones

Medium and small stones

Sand

Sealed

At this stage I had to make a start on the temple as I needed to work out how it would fit onto the hillside. This was an important stage as it meant that I would have to include some substantial steps to access the temple.

Scoring the pvc for the temple floor. The temple would be derelict and heavily weathered.

Having sorted out how the temple would interact with the hillside I turned my attention to the construction of the Byzantii bridge that with link the Temple with the Monument section. This would match the road sections I have made and would have the appearance of being weathered. I wanted the bridge to be removable and set about making the main construction from pvc. This was to make it durable and sturdy, the brickwork was then clad in blue foam which had been scored up and textured.

Texturing the brickwork

Crazy crazy paving

You shall not pass

So this is where I am currently, Salute 2017 is in nine weeks, I have my work cut out for me but I’m confident this will all be finished in time. I will try and post more regular updates from now on.
Thanks for reading
Bish.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:51 am

Christian... what can I say. You have excelled yourself once more.

Fantastic work! No words are adequate to describe how awesome this is mate.

Keep it up!

Cheers
Rob
deadlydeceiver

Postby deadlydeceiver » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Incredible work Bish! Highest respect and a tiny bit of envy ;-)

Best Sven
Come visit my blog about Mierce, Kingdom Death and more
http://sendtheeighth.blogspot.de/
Beire

Postby Beire » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:49 am

Wow Bishmeister, that table looks awesome :shock: . I'm looking forward to seeing it in action at Salute, it will draw a lot of attention!
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 pm

Thanks for the kind words folks.
I'm starting to get excited now as I've started to crack on with the Byzantii temple. The steps took a while to design as I wanted there to be steps for humans and beasts. This also gives more room for standing miniatures on the steps.
I have added two plynths either side so I can have two Daunted Behema of Dis statues standing guard. I also added two smaller plynths for smaller statues although I may leave these empty as it adds more 'gaming' area to the temple.

The steps and the plynth still need a lot of work, mostly weathering.
Beire

Postby Beire » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Two Daunted Behema of Dis statues standing guard? What an awesome idea Bish! I'll be following your updates with great interest...
OrlandotheTech

Postby OrlandotheTech » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Really impressive work there
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks folks.

The next part of the project was to work out how the temple would integrate with the hillside terrain. The temple is modular and is made up from two parts, the temple and the plinth it sits on. Whilst this is a lot of work to make it removable from the board this is necessary for transporting the piece and also to increase it's versatility, The board can just be rolling hills if required.

With plinth (WIP)

With base of temple

With columns and potential statues

Views of the entire board so far, this can be set up with the river section in the middle dividing the two hill sections or with the two hill sections together to create a more imposing temple.

Last edited by Bishmeister on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
antoine

Postby antoine » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:23 am

Incredible job!
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:23 am

There was a day of perfect weather for spraying so I just had to go ahead and get some paint on the model.

I started with a grey primer which would be the colour of the board's sides and the base colour for the rocky outcrops. I then airbrushed some shading in the recesses using a darker grey.

This was followed by creating the rock effect. I had to match what I had done before on the previous sections which was not straight forward. I used a spray gun on the speckle setting and used a variety of colours in the following order: dark grey, almost black, light grey, almost white, warm brown and then with the almost white again. This gives a granite look to the rock and I think I matched the previous work fairly well. I then airbrushed two shades of green to mimic moss.

At this stage I was painting the road sections and the bridge so they would all match.

Next it was time to work on the grass. I have a paper flock sheet that I used before. As this will be quite complex cut i started out by making a template with scrap paper, this will save wasting the valuable flock sheet.

I then flipped it over and traced the pattern onto the rear of the flock sheet.

Flock paper pattern

Flock paper glued down and the edges softened with extra pva and flock.

With the temple in situ.

The grass was then speckled with a brown spray to tone it done a bit and tufts, bushes and trees were added.

More pics over the coming week.
Last edited by Bishmeister on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:57 pm

With the base board finished I turned my attention back to the Byzantii temple.
With the columns completed I set to work on the pediment and ceiling.

I contacted Mierce regarding the painting of the model as I wanted to add some colour and wanted to check with the experts on the Byzantii. I was thinking something like this.

Rob was unavailable at the time so I had an extensive chat with Tim which changed the temple direction slightly. The temple originally built by the Romans has now been reconsecrated to the worship of the Infernii. We also revisited a discussion I had with Rob some time ago about the sculptures that make up the pediment. I was told that the rule of cool is paramount by Tim so I just had to turn up the coolness to number eleven. I butchered the pediment so I could fit the sculptures in.

Rob emailed to confirm the details Tim and I had discussed and gave some art direction. Just two and a half weeks to go.
Last edited by Bishmeister on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skull king

Postby Skull king » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Wow Bish!

This is really going to command people's attention at Salute! Excellent work!
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:02 am

Cheers Skull King, let's hope, just two weeks to go now.

This week has been very productive, I've managed to finalise the pediment design and get some paint on the temple. The bottom part of the columns have been painted with the blood of Christians, this happens when the temple was desecrated to the worship of Sceechus, Servile Fiend of Dis. I wanted to add colour as this was traditional on some Roman temple, is more eye catching and balances the green colour.

Three columns fully painted, proper dank looking.

Last edited by Bishmeister on Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:28 pm

With the columns completed the next job on the list was to waether the steps. This was done using the same technique as the columns. Wet blend Agrax Earthshade into the recessess followed by the same with Biel tan green.

Next up was adding the flock for moss, static grass, tufts and bushes for that really deprivated overgrown look.

I was now into the last week before Salute 2017 and I needed to repair the water effects which had not set properly at the last Salute and ended up being damaged. Probably should have left more time this time round but hey ho. This time I went for water effects and lashed it on with a paint brush, warning, do not do this, it looks terrible. There was also a tense 24 hours waiting for it to go clear. It did go clear and I redone it applying it with a piece of plastcard to give it a smoother finish which worked out much better.

I wanted to paint all the Infernii sculptures as aged bronze so they would be a green patina colour. These tutned out rather well.

Work on the roof of the temple was completed. I decided that the rear of the roof that would have been timber and red clay tiles would be completely ruined and overgrown after hundreds of years of neglect.

With all the work complete it it was off to Salute 2017.
Last edited by Bishmeister on Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 pm

The drive to Salute was uneventful but it was a very early start. I arrived and the Mierce team came down en masse to give me a hand with the board. It wasn't too long before it was all set up and Jonathan Chester and I just had to go ahead and christen the board by having a demo game.

Jonathan was a real gent and had an amazing understanding of the rules. We played a battle using Norse and Ysians.
We used the painted starter hosts and I chose to command the Norse. I had Eirik Longaxe as my commander, a unit of 10 Holumann and 3 trolls whereas Jonathans force consisted of Carrowek on foot, 10 Axe Drunes and 3 Brutes.

Jonathan set up his forces either side of the river but I was a bit sneaky and deployed a reduced flank formation on the temple side of the river.

I felt the two sides were well balanced and the board facilitated some cinematic and realistic events such as the Holumann unit with the commander forming a shield wall across the bridge to reduce the frontage and subsequently the attacks of the 3 Brutes. This of course reduced the amount of damage coming my way and eventually prevented the Brutes from annihilating the Holumann. All the action was occurring at the base of the temple steps.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game despite not really knowing the rules which is a great tribute to Mr Chester. After the dust had settled there was one very wounded Troll left and a bleeding Eirik.

By the time we'd finished the hall was beginning to fill up and there was quite literally a que of people waiting to play.

In one of the many games that Jonathan hosted that day there was an absolute classic historical myth moment when the three Norse Trolls emerged from under the bridge to attack the Anglecynn.

It was a great day where I was able to chat about Mierce miniatures, Darklands and the demo board to numerous people from all over Europe. I was amazed by the number of people that had travelled huge distances to attend Salute and felt privileged to be part of the Mierce team.

It was great to see people walking past and doing a 'double take' when they saw the board and then come over and take a load of photos.

Of the many questions I was asked on the day the four most popular were, Who made the board?, (me) How did you make the Trees?, (instructions are on my blog on the Mierce Forum, although I've just realised it's not so I will have to update this blog with that) Where did you buy the columns from?, (they're scratchbuilt by me but you might be able to buy them from Mierce in the future - keep an eye on their website) and Where can I buy a starter set? (just over there).

The board travelled well and didn't sustain any damage. My wife was also impressed with the board and suggested that we set it up in the spare bedroom, I wasn't expecting that I can tell you. So there it resides for the time being but it isn't quite finished and I will be tinkering with it over the next month just to add some little details.

Thanks for reading and commenting.
All the best Bishmeister.
Last edited by Bishmeister on Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beire

Postby Beire » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:11 am

That table must have been a real eyecatcher at Salute, fantastic work Bish!
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:27 am

Just excellent work mate! You are a legend.

I can only say thank you for putting so much effort into what was a fantastic day for us all!

Cheers
Rob
antoine

Postby antoine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks for the feedback, I was eager to see darklands hosts fighting on your amazing table!
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:14 am

It was a privelidge to play on the board all day it was gorgeous and was wonderful to see so many people interested. Glad you enjoyed the game mate :)
deadlydeceiver

Postby deadlydeceiver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Amazing work Bish! The table is pure art!
Come visit my blog about Mierce, Kingdom Death and more
http://sendtheeighth.blogspot.de/
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:56 am

PhotoBucket has decided to display all the pictures again.
Happy Days.
I'll be updating this thread soon!!
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:33 am

It's been a long time since I posted here despite saying I would post more often.
This thread needs an update and I'll be taking a retrospect look at the Darkholds: Byzantii Catacombs board I made for Salute 2018.

Firstly a bit of background on Darkholds. This was going to be a Mierce Miniatures 'dungeon crawler' style boardgame that looked amazing and had a very solid and entertaining ruleset. It was launched as a Kickstarter but unfortunately didn't gain the momentum required and was cancelled. I was deeply saddened by this as a dungeon crawler board game with Mierce Miniatures would be my dream come true. Alas, it never ended up being produced but it may be resurrected in the future, more undead than dead. Fingers and toes crossed.

I began this project before the Kickstarter launch and managed to get hold of the dungeon plans of the first level. The boardgame is set in a Jute Barrow but I wanted my own take on it and used this as an excuse to build a 3d Roman/Byzantii style dungeon crawler. I love Roman architecture and wanted to make a 3d 'dungeon' with a difference. Despite the game not being funded on Kickstarter I was determined to complete this 3d dungeon.

So I discussed this with the Mierce guys and began planning.

The first level based on the informatiom from Mierce.

Imageimage by bishmeister75, on Flickr

A 3d dungeon crawler creates some interesting compromises for anyone who decides to design and build one. It has to perform it's primary function and be playable but also be believable as an immersive environment. To achieve the feeling of being in an enclosed space meant that the walls would need to be taller than the models, some of which would be monsters upto to 100mm tall. This then impacts upon the ability to play on the board as higher walls restrict the visibility of the players to the board. So to reduce the impact on playability I increased the size of the dungeon. This was achied by increasing the board squares from 32mm to 40mm and also added a 45mm corridor between the walls and the board tiles that contained columns, plinths and statues that clearly blocked movement but allowed the players to view the play area. These elements were magnetised so they could be removed to create differing dungeon plans.

Creating the larger dungeon floor plan whilst retaining the original design and play area.

I started work on some scale drawings of what the walls would look like. I wanted the catacombs to be a mix of 'regular' burials but also grand burials. The idea being that this was the catacomb of a particular settlement or legion.

Having the tiered catacombs worked very well visually and allowed full view of the gaming area.

The material I used throughout this project was ePVC. 5mm for the floorplans and 3mm for everything else.

Once the foorplan tiles were designed I cut them out of 5mm ePVC and tried out some figures on them.

I built a dungeon tile up to full height to see how it faired.

The project became really exciting at this point as I could really see the cinematic potential of the board.

I purchased a shed load od 54mm roman soldiers for the statues.

I built some large plinths and played around with some statue ideas.

I went through each room tile and made a cut list of what was needed to build the walls.

I wanted the dungeon to have some level changes so I built some room tiles as steps. These are the first three tiles of the level which correspond to a level change in the original boardgame design.

More floor tiles and some walls.

Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Here's the process I use to create the floor tiles.

I use a pen with some shortened and smooth sanded coat hanger wire attached to it to score the ePVC.

Draw in the tile design, then score in the squares.

Mark and score in the brickwork.

Randomly score in the cracks. You'll also notice I added magnets to some of the squares, on the underside, to help architectural features to stat in situ.

The cracks were softened by rounding the edges.

Mierce were a great support through this project and provided me with a tonne of architectural casts of the masters that I had provided them. This was just one box.

The entire floor plan laid out, all of the floortiles maintained their functionality of being able to be configured in multiple dungeon layouts.

One of the tiles nearly complete with hand scored brickwork.

Some action shots testing line of sight and playability.

All of the grey architectural elements, except the arches, are removable and help in place by magnets. I also created some removable walls to greater increase the dungeons potential.

Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:38 pm

After scoring up the horizontal lines of the brickwork I cut the sections into what I would need to build the walls, each piece had a 45 degree cut into the corners where required so the brickwork would marry up. I then set about scoring up the vertical brickwork lines.

The walks were cut to size for the column niche.

With resin arches for the catacombs

Last edited by Bishmeister on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:40 pm

More of the dungeon tiles completed.

One of my favourite rooms

Onto the plinths, decided to use a Roman warrior flanked by Mierce lions for this room.

The entire dungeon level all set up.

I wanted a special feature for the 'end of level' room, hence the Infernii shrine.

I wanted a room that looked like an ossuary with skulls falling out of the walls.

All the bits laid out ready for spraying. I wanted to added texture to the paint work to make it look like stone and brick so I used a spray gun to speckle the paint on.

At this stage I also started to make the treasure markers.

After spraying the stone and brickwork I used a syringe with Agrax Earthshade to bring out the cracks.

Then Biel Tan Green was washed into the edges using a brush.

At this stage I decided to mound the game pieces on clear bases to blend in with the gameboard.

Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm

After being speckled with three different shades of red the brickwork was painted randomly with varying shades of yellow, brown and red ink to give a natural look. Emulsion was then washed into the scored surface which bleached the brickwork slightly and added a pale colour for the mortar. Green and brown washes were added for the weathering focusing on areas that would retain dampness.

Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Some shots of the finished model.

Here you can see the painting process from start to finish

The model turned out very nice in the end. Two of the rooms' wall were built higher, 150mm, to accommodate larger architectural features. All the floortiles were magnetised so they would stay together once set up. This was a massive project that was completed for Salute 2018. There are still some bits to do some more work on, adding some more weathering to the statues, but by and large this project is complete.

This model recieved a lot of attention at Salute with many compliments. Hopefully the Darkholds game will be rescheduled for a Kickstarter sometime in the future.
A big thank you to the Mierce guys who helped throughout this project.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Wow, Bish, hat's off to you buddy, this looks absolutely amazing, the amount of work that has gone into it is phenomenal, I would not have the time, patience and definately not the skill involved to have even known where to have started.

It's a shame the Darkholds kickstarter didnt realise it's funding, was talking to Rob abaout it a few weeks ago and it looked amazing.
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...

Return to “Painting and Modelling”