Brythoniaid and Teulu ubiquity

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Blue Prophet

Brythoniaid and Teulu ubiquity

Postby Blue Prophet » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:07 am

The Teryn as commander or general makes Teulu into Mainstay.

Uchelwr makes Teulu into Common.

What happens if both a Teryn and Uchelwr are in a host and I'm using Teulu? Must Teulu be in both of their commands? And at what ubiquity slot for each Teulu unit?

I am trying to make a host with the Brythoniaid models I have (albeit not assembled) which includes 20 Rhyfelwr and soon 15 Teulu. I am having a really hard time doing this for a 2000g host. It is hard to get the 2 common in the list. Once Savage Hordes 2 models for Saethwr and Helwr are out things will be easier.

One build I'd like is to be able to use my Angrislaug (with his new very high gold cost), but I don't see a way to do it without buying 10 more Rhyfelwyr, which I'm not doing. Or wait until the SH:II stuff is shipped. I was thinking of using two Uchelwr, so that is why I want to know if they are forced to use Teulu in their commands when the Teryn has an unit of Teulu at mainstay.
James Harding

Re: Brythoniaid and Teulu ubiquity

Postby James Harding » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:29 am

Hmm, interesting. (And apologies for the lack of name references - despite having lived in Wales for 4 years, the names still look like my 4 year old has been playing with scrabble letters!)
I see what you are saying, unlike in other instances those nobles affect the Teulu as long as they are in the army.
I'd guess that the Warlords rules over ride the Warchiefs, but I've not seem that anywhere, so maybe they both apply and you can choose (which rings a bell from a conversation some where....), but not make one unit count as both Mainstay and Common!
Plus can't imagine Rob would have issue with the way 5 units of infantry would look on the battle field!
As to needing two units because both nobles say they must have a unit in their command if there is one, requiring you to have two units if you only wanted the one seems a bit harsh, so I guess the Warlord would overrule his Warchief and command the unit.

Just my 2p worth mind.....
Lesrac

Postby Lesrac » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:40 am

I'm with James. Warlord rules override the Warchief rules. So Teuleu become Mainstay and one unit has to be included in the Teryns command. But I think Rob will sort this out to be clear.

When you use 1 Teryn and 2 Uchelwr you already have your Uncommon und two Common slots that you need at a 2000g host. Or did you talk about another build, when you said that it's hard to fill the required Common slots?
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:59 pm

I have spoken to Rob about this before the Teryn's version of the rule overrides the uchelwr so teulu become mainstay.

To fit a draiggoch on is actually quite simple as 530 gold fits the mainstay minimum with 2 10's of rhyfwelr and a 10 of teulu. About 250is gold on top for the three characters then you've filled the requirements.
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Blue Prophet

Postby Blue Prophet » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:11 am

It is hard to have lots of options in filling the Common slot until the new SH:II figures are out. It's either Uchelwr or using Dyndraigs with their Prifdyndraig commander. Since I don't have a sixth Dyndraig (they were sold in sets of 5 remember) I have two options to get the Common unit currently. Or if the Uchelwr is general and they take Teulu in their command as common (but then I'd need 30 Rhyfelwr, and I only have 20 of those models). That is what I mean by limited choices right now.

Also, looking at Brythoniaid, I'm trying to work up a host with a Prifdyndraig general of the Gwaelod realm. But the only nobles with lower authority are Abad, Bard, Dewindraig, and Prifdynwocor. Although I don't see it explicitly in the muster, since an Abad cannot have non-man units in his command, can he serve a non-man general? I'll assume not. A bard with 20 authority can lead one unit at best. Dewindraig is very cool, no model for it yet. And I think I understand that the Prifdynwocor would be taken as an ally. Correct me if I am wrong in any of that.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:49 am

You can have a Prifdyndraig with a teryn commander if you so desired. Though you would have to muster the host as a gwaelod realm to do this but it isn't massively difficult to achieve this.

General Prifdyndraig beaten armour uncommon 214gold
Command
Dyndraig 3 beaten armour, Pendyndraig, Tandyndraig mainstay 261gold
Cawrdraig 2 Beaten Armour, Pencawrdraig, Tancawrdraig uncommon 474gold

Commander Dewindraig Uncommon 2 157
Command
Dyndraig 3 beaten armour, Pendyndraig, Tandyndraig mainstay 261gold

Allied Commander Abad uncommon 78gold
Command
Rhyfelwr 10 Champion, bannerman, herald, Drilled common 160gold
Rhyfelwr 10 Champion, bannerman, herald, mainstay 130gold
Helwr 5 champion common 2 105gold

That is an example of this I wrote a while ago. This came to 1840 to allow me spells and a few other options to move stuff about. As the humans are an allied command the Abad could be swapped even for the teryn like I said and as he is an ally won't be he general. If you wanted to you could even drop the helwr from the list and take an uchelwr and have him command one of the Rhyfelwr units which would actually save you about 25 gold for other stuff.
Blue Prophet

Postby Blue Prophet » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:32 pm

Yeah Jonathon, that is pretty much how I see it being built with Prifdyndraig as general. I had a Prifdynwocor as the allied commander (since I got him as a model), but I see that an Abad or Uchelwr can work. I was just thinking that Abad doesn't make as much sense fluff-wise being under a dyndraig general, but the rules don't seem to preclude it.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:21 pm

Fluff wise you can argue it working but I know most people will play to a certain level of fluff influencing the list that they like. I personally would happily use an Abad with draig allies

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”