Darklands and Google Earth

Anything unrelated to any of the other forums
Dan Pratt

Darklands and Google Earth

Postby Dan Pratt » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:31 pm

As Darklands grows and more players join us, and with local events and international campaigns kicking off. I want to propose the following idea:

We all love fluff and studying the background of our forces and maps of game worlds. Darklands is unique in that the reference material for the game, both in terms of background material and spatial information, is readily available because it comes from our history/legends and our geography.

With the exception of the Fomoraic Ice Sheet and the island chains of the Atalantes and Kthones, as well as some legendary sunken kingdoms (Ys, Gwaelod, etc), everything we need to map out the Lands of Darkness in 3D is available to us (as well as the tools to fill in what's missing).

Google Earth Pro is now free to all. Go to any major city and 3D buildings appear. Also, some noteworthy historical forts have been modelled (go find the Grianan of Aileach) that would be standing in 650AD.

I want to get gears turning regarding the massive potential for this community to create the Darklands world ourselves for our own reference and education, as well as a platform to map campaign progress in true scale.

I've created some kmz files showing the locations of many hillforts, Roman forts, ringforts, brochs. I'll share them later.

Who among us is able to create palisades and 7th century structures, simplified "village" "fort" or "ship fleet" models or even icons for push pins?

We can map roman roads, kindred capital cities, outposts, invader camps, etc, etc...

I'm thinking of public campaign for everyone and private campaings among friends.

I'm thinking of situations like: "there's 10,000g worth of Norse crossing the North Sea, they arrive at [coordinates] and set up a fort in territory of other [kindred(s)] > campaign for invader to capture enemy capital and defenders to push them out and burn thier ships, etc, etc over series of linked engagements gaing and losing men/population"

What do you think?
greyknight

Re: Darklands and Google Earth

Postby greyknight » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:37 pm

Awesome ideas!! Will help out any way that I can with that.
Dan Pratt

Postby Dan Pratt » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:11 pm

JediCat

Postby JediCat » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:47 pm

Not public, access needs to be requested (unless that's what you want)
"Be as brutal and as sneaky and as nasty with your list as you wish - Darklands is not pink fluffy communist Warhammer" ~Rob Lane, May 17th, 2017

Return to “Other Topics”