Alex's Darklands Plog

For Mierce products as well as anything else you may want to show off
Alex (ÉgB)

Alex's Darklands Plog

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Sun May 08, 2016 6:08 am

An Introduction

A little about me to introduce myself: I've been gaming with miniatures since Space Crusade, via a lengthy period with that other company into various other ranges. I discovered Mierce and Darklands at the time of New Kindred - and was hooked!

The miniatures looked amazing, the concepts were awesome and there was a Dark Ages Irish faction I could start with! How could I resist reflecting that part of my heritage on the tabletop?

With Metal Age I felt I wanted an opposing force for my planned Érainn muster - the reference to the 'piratical Kernowek' sealed my decision; I started up a Ker-Ys collection.

With Savage Hordes I & 2 I boosted my existing kindred but the miniatures of the Albainn caught my eye, so by rationalising it that I can always ally them with my Érainn, I started up my third kindred!

In other game systems I have a strange obsession with mercenaries (homebrewing over 100 hireling individuals for a couple of long OOP systems for example! yes, excessive I know), so I also try to keep up to date with the sell-swords for Darklands.

Why a plog?

I'll be using this plog to attempt to keep me motivated on getting through my Mierce backlog. I'm hoping that this thread will help light a fire under me to actually get on with some miniature assembly and painting. Being completely honest, my painting isn't great, so I'm a little intimidated by Darklands minis. As an example, here's a mini I painted for another system:-

Still, I will persevere and hopefully get better at painting along the way - if nothing else, it'll be good to actually have some fully painted usable armies for once!

To Do List

So, without dragging this first post out more than it needs to, here's my list of everything Mierce I have (in hand of on order) to be getting on with:

Albainn

Dungal
Armoured Dungal
Umaer Drast
Drast the Hound (from a Grab Bag)
Ciniod
Ciniod (from a Grab Bag, will have a shield added)
Spear Ciniod (from a Grab Bag, converted Aurogg rider)
Skyclad Ciniod
Itaina
Skyclad Itaina (from a Grab Bag)
Domnech
Skullcap Domnech
Gnith
Dungann
Bagseg
Bloody Bagseg (from a Grab Bag)

10 Gairlom
10 Gairlom
15 Elbharu
8 Oghurithne
3 Oghurithne Hunters

Oghurigg
Wild Oghuruc
Savage Oghuruc (from a Grab Bag)
2 Goghu
Aurogg (from a Grab Bag)

Angelcynn

Meloda

Osbeorn
Ewart

Brythoniaid

Bronn ap Bannbronn

Erainn

Rudraige
Helmed Rudraige
Aidan
Cormac
Cormac on Gabrax
Drunk Cormac 6/100
Caitrin
Caitrin (to be converted to have a shield)
Slinger Caitrin
Caitrin
Nuala
Masked Nuala
Masked Nuala (from Grab Bag)
Grisly Araigh

10 Tuanagh
10 Tuanagh
10 Maiobhanagh
3 Fir Bholg Hurlers
3 Fen Beasts
2 Fen Beasts (from Grab Bag - one is a standard Araigh with less branches)
5 Peat Beasts

Morannach
Culaitar

Jute

Bareheaded Ætulla
Mildryth
Helmed Eormanræd

Ker-Ys

Carrowek
Chain Hedroc
Sickle Hedroc
Falchion Annik
Bow Annik
Crom
Rose of Ker-Ys (from Grab Bag)
Banner Mawdred
Hound MasterJowan
Kernour
Gondard
Zethag
Drunk Zethag 15/100
Brugg

10 Ax-Drunes
10 Ax-Drunes
10 Bow-Drunes
10 Rogue-Drunes
10 Shadow-Drunes
4 Brutes with two hand weapons
4 Brutes with Great Weapons
3 Brute-Corrupters
4 Goad-Drunes
3 Drune-Hounds
3 Hound-Aberrants
3 Nithings
Nithing on Pig-Bog (from Grab Bag)
Flesh-Pile (from Grab Bag)
2 Sword-Melusines

Druc

Norse

Stigr

Sell-Swords

Alix
Beowa
Danilo Cruz
Finnan
Florus
Golgog Goat-Eater
Helmed Trytheorn
Ieuan Longshore (and Taranau)
Maximus
Morag of Mann
Sathach
Rikkard
Uhtred Uhtredsson 35/100
Urbad

Colour code:
White is on order
Blue is in hand
Red is assembled
Orange is primed
Green is completed

What next?

I'll post any and all progress I make to this thread - it might be bare metal/resin on textured bases for a while, but it's all moving forward (or at least that's the plan! ;) )

I'll be honest, because picture hosting is a pain in the arse, Instagram is the best place to see my stuff as a general rule - @5po1nter or @miercenries
Last edited by Alex (ÉgB) on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Érainn go Brách!

Blog: Alex Does Hobby Stuff
Rob Boyce

Re: Alex's Darklands Plog

Postby Rob Boyce » Sun May 08, 2016 6:57 am

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! I am reliably informed that the detail on Mierce stuff makes painting easier if you are the sort of painter that uses a lot of washes. I'm not and sometimes it can be intimidating but it's all good practice.
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Sun May 08, 2016 7:02 am

Thanks Rob, I do like to use washes (not dipping though!), so maybe that will help once I get going!
Érainn go Brách!

Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Tue May 10, 2016 12:02 pm

Sound advice that from Rob, it's the right balance of really great detailed models and not too much crap on them that gives you the ability to basecoat & wash for a decent 'tabletop' standard and then you can build from there with highlights as desired.

If you look at my painting blog you can see I've just tossed up an example of a quick basecoat & wash only on a model which I think looks serviceable.
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Tue May 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks Dave, as always, for your encouragement!

Yeah, I think the Gairlom and Tuanagh are similar enough in style that the kind of approach you used will work very well indeed!
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

No pictures, but I got my first Albainn miniatures - Goghu, Oghurigg and Savage Oghuruc in particular are awesome. Really glad I decided to take up Albainn now!

OP updated with current in hand items.
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Added newest arrivals - almost their mainstay ubiquity wise for all three kindred now!

Culaitar is huge and the Fir Bholg Hurlers are incredibly cool.

Still need to order an Oghurithne Unund, a Fen Beast and (when they are available individually) an armoured Brute with great weapon - then all three Kindred are sorted and I can work on getting tokens and templates ;)
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:46 pm

Got my Oghurithne Unund and the final Fen Beast (thanks to Blaec Friday!) - I really need to get assembling stuff!
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Still not assembled anything, but updated now I have two 3-Brute units (well, Hammer-Muldo is on order) :)
Érainn go Brách!

Bishmeister

Postby Bishmeister » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:24 am

Start assembling these minis and you will be so enthused to get some paint on them. Personally when a box from Mierce arrives I drop everything else a start assembling, the minis cry out for it. Good luck.
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Added the stuff that is now in packing status - once Aidan arrives I'll have the minis in hand for my first 500gold of each of my kindred, which will hopefully help encourage me to get assembling (finally I hear you all cry!)
Érainn go Brách!

Blue Prophet

Postby Blue Prophet » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:23 am

Hey Alex, I've only just started assembling and painting my pile of Mierce stuff too. I wish I was faster or less picky about the paint jobs. I'm new to assembling models, so that is not my favorite part. Getting mold lines off is not fun, and Greenstuff is a nightmare to work with. Pinning makes me nervous. Basically the gluing together is fine :)

I painted Nuala as my first Mierce figure. But am moving on to Norse for a first playable host (hopefully can find an opponent to play with). So am doing 10 Holumann and 4 Trolls along with Birna for Norse. That should be enough for an Encounter (I may add in Rollo Iron Head too since he is awesome).

Good luck with your efforts.
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Blue Prophet wrote:Hey Alex, I've only just started assembling and painting my pile of Mierce stuff too. I wish I was faster or less picky about the paint jobs. I'm new to assembling models, so that is not my favorite part. Getting mold lines off is not fun, and Greenstuff is a nightmare to work with. Pinning makes me nervous. Basically the gluing together is fine :)

I painted Nuala as my first Mierce figure. But am moving on to Norse for a first playable host (hopefully can find an opponent to play with). So am doing 10 Holumann and 4 Trolls along with Birna for Norse. That should be enough for an Encounter (I may add in Rollo Iron Head too since he is awesome).

Good luck with your efforts.

Thanks! I've been assembling minis for over 20 years now, so while I wouldn't ever call mould lines fun they are more pleasant to work with on metal or resin than plastic of other companies! Liquid greenstuff is a God send for smoothing joints, which at least helps with one aspect of the hobby! Pinning is usually ok for me, but then the wire I was using sliced my finger up on a non-DL model I was working on earlier this week so maybe that's not so OK :lol:

I'm probably going to assemble as much of my stuff as I can, texture the bases and prime them all in one go - of course, I can't wait for everything to arrive so maybe once I've got my first 500 gold lists of each kindred in hand I'll get on with those seeing as I'm planning an esclation style approach to force building. For painting purposes I might try a spare (as in not planned to play with) mini first like Itaina or Ciniod. Nuala is a gorgeous mini - trying to decide myself whether to use Masked version or not in my host!
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Updated to reflect what arrived today - Golgog, Alix, Zethags, Cormac and Aidan. And two Grab Bags - Érainn and Albainn. Wow, those Grab Bags are awesome - updated the list to show what I got (of course, got lots of other arms and bits too, these were just what was whole or was bashable from the bag contents - an Aurogg!!).

Guess I need to work out what bases I need to order... and maybe some components to make use of some of the extra bits!

Now to draft up new lists to take the newcomers in consideration!
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:38 pm

So, picked up another couple of Grab Bags - Albainn and Ker-Ys this time. Got some cool stuff - Bloody Bagseg, and a Wild Oghuruc (just need to buy him an Oghu Stone!), Pig-Bog and a few whole infantry miniatures for Ker-Ys too.

Also got Bareheaded Ætulla, Mildryth and Meloda as I like the sculpts and the surplus metal deal was too good not to pick them up!
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Updated following my stock-take! Need a few components and bases, but getting there!
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Added my latest orders - 2 Sleanbera and a unit of Peat Beasts.
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:12 am

Added my Fiendish February purchases - Bronn ap Bannbronn and Stigr; who complete Golgog's Super Friends!
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Received Golgog's Super Friends and Grisly Araigh so updated my first post. One day I'll actually assemble some of this....
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Had the Peast Beasts and assorted random metals arrive - only 50 or so miniatures left to come from KSs at the time of writing this post.
Érainn go Brách!

Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:50 pm

I’ve assembled, prepped and primed a Frostgrave warband conprises entirely of Anglecynn miniatures. Will update the top post at some point to reflect this!
Érainn go Brách!

Return to “Painting and Modelling”