questions

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
smeagol98

questions

Postby smeagol98 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:40 pm

Hello, I need your help because we have some questions with my friends to understand corrcetly the rules for playing and for our translation in french.

- Does a frenzied unit that have the soarer ability can make a soar action if there is no ennemy unit to engage

- What is the difference between the pressed messenger and the messenger ?

- The absorb reaction function in the same way that the earth reIf I understant correctly the absorb reaction is almost the same that the eath reaction. The only difference is that some warriors can use dices in some way

- For tmustering, why the ardent mount cost is not the same with the two profles (rider and mount) ? For example Margedig is 60 in the carrowek's profil and 57 in his own profil

- For the last errata (6.55.3.1.2 page 286) do I have to add this paagrapf or do I have to cancel a part of the ancient paragraph ?

- Yesterday we played a game and we had soe questions with the Dive action. A Hrafnmann unit was Circing and decide to Dive and attack upon a Ax-Drune unit led by a Seer-Drune.
My questions : - Can the Hrafnmann unit can engage in the Ax-Drune unit blind arc ?
- The Hrafnmann unit must attack with all of its weapons ?
- Can th Ax-drune unit my do an Attack reflex reaction after the Hrafnmann unit attacks ?
- the Hrafnmann unit must soar again when the dive action is resolved

Thanks a lot for your help.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: questions

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:21 pm

smeagol98 wrote:Hello, I need your help because we have some questions with my friends to understand corrcetly the rules for playing and for our translation in french.

No problem.

smeagol98 wrote:- Does a frenzied unit that have the soarer ability can make a soar action if there is no ennemy unit to engage

No - see p 148, 6.6.1.1 - Requirements. The Soaring unit cannot be a Frenzied unit.

smeagol98 wrote:- What is the difference between the pressed messenger and the messenger ?

The pressed messenger is just a random member of your host; the messenger is one that is purchased and has the Host Messenger ability. There aren't any of those yet, but there will be, for each kindred ;o)

smeagol98 wrote:- The absorb reaction function in the same way that the earth reIf I understant correctly the absorb reaction is almost the same that the eath reaction. The only difference is that some warriors can use dices in some way

Yes, very much so. Simply put, any invoked dice (from your opponent) can become absorbed dice, which are stored by the Absorber to use in future reactions.

smeagol98 wrote:- For tmustering, why the ardent mount cost is not the same with the two profles (rider and mount) ? For example Margedig is 60 in the carrowek's profil and 57 in his own profil

Because the rider will make better use of the mount. Simply put, the mount is worth more under a rider than if he was on his own because the rider ensures the mount is more effective in battle.

smeagol98 wrote:- For the last errata (6.55.3.1.2 page 286) do I have to add this paagrapf or do I have to cancel a part of the ancient paragraph ?

As it says on the "Official Errata" topic (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=628), "Each quote below will replace a particular paragaph in the rule book." So, yes, the errata replaces the paragraph that starts with the heading "Ambush!" under 6.55.3.1.2, on page 286.

smeagol98 wrote:- Yesterday we played a game and we had soe questions with the Dive action. A Hrafnmann unit was Circing and decide to Dive and attack upon a Ax-Drune unit led by a Seer-Drune.
My questions : - Can the Hrafnmann unit can engage in the Ax-Drune unit blind arc ?

Do you mean Dive and Slash, or Dive and Land, then Attack? Either way, it's an Indirect Engagement action, so it depends upon the enemy's vigour. If the enemy is weary (or entangled, etc.), and you Dive from within the Ax-Drunes' blind arc, then yes - you are in their blind arc. In any other instance, the Ax-Drunes can Change Direction to face them if they Hold.

smeagol98 wrote:- The Hrafnmann unit must attack with all of its weapons ?

Yes. It says so on p183, in 6.16.5.1 - "...with all of its available combat weapons..."

smeagol98 wrote:- Can th Ax-drune unit my do an Attack reflex reaction after the Hrafnmann unit attacks ?

Yes; in fact it must do so.

smeagol98 wrote:- the Hrafnmann unit must soar again when the dive action is resolved

Yes, unless they are somehow stopped from doing so (such as being entangled by nets, or something). See Soar.

smeagol98 wrote:Thanks a lot for your help.

You're welcome, it's what I'm here for!

Cheers
Rob
smeagol98

Postby smeagol98 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Thanks for your answear Rob
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:47 pm

You're welcome!

Cheers
Rob
smeagol98

Postby smeagol98 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:33 pm

For the Frenzied units and the Soar Action, in the paragraph 6·10·1·3·5 FRENZIED UNITS we can read : "Immediately it is activated, the player of an unengaged Frenzied unit - including any Circling Frenzied units..." so there is a problem here because you said me Frenzied units cannot make a Soar action
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:21 am

Yea, I guess that's a mistake; I'll remove that passage.

To re-iterate: Frenzied units can't Soar.

Cheers
Rob
smeagol98

Postby smeagol98 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:58 pm

Hello, I have others questions for you please :)

- Can you do the Roar action up to 3 times in the same activation of a unit because it is an effortless action ? because in the paragraph 4.2.3.2.5 COMMAND ACTIONS (Multiple Command actions) it is written "Somme command action....such as the Roar action"

- I do an Engagement action with a Charge action. After it, do I have to make only a Charge Attack Action. So when I attack the ennemy I do only the Charge Attacks from the Combat Sequence ? or Can I do the impact strickes and the others attacks of the warrior ?

- What is the difference in game between the Charge Attack action and the Swift Charge Attack action (after Dive Land and... action for example) ? How does it work ?

Thank you for your help
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:27 pm

smeagol98 wrote:Hello, I have others questions for you please :)

- Can you do the Roar action up to 3 times in the same activation of a unit because it is an effortless action ? because in the paragraph 4.2.3.2.5 COMMAND ACTIONS (Multiple Command actions) it is written "Somme command action....such as the Roar action"

Well, the next subsection - 4.2.3.2.5: Effortless Actions - tell you how many you can perform, and yes, the Roar action can be performed up to three times as long as you adhere to the rules in 4.2.3.2.5.

smeagol98 wrote:- I do an Engagement action with a Charge action. After it, do I have to make only a Charge Attack Action. So when I attack the ennemy I do only the Charge Attacks from the Combat Sequence ? or Can I do the impact strickes and the others attacks of the warrior ?

Follow the VI.XX.II: COMBAT SEQUENCE on p195. Yes, you can make impact strikes... otherwise, you wouldn't follow part 1, 2 or 3 of the combat sequence.

smeagol98 wrote:- What is the difference in game between the Charge Attack action and the Swift Charge Attack action (after Dive Land and... action for example) ? How does it work ?

Thank you for your help

The Swift Charge gives you an extra modifier against your enemy's parry - i.e., he's down by 1 on his parry value to save thanks to the extra momentum.

Cheers
Rob
smeagol98

Postby smeagol98 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:56 pm

I am sorry I will ask again questions about the Dive action because it is one of the actions I dont' know how to play it. I know that the Dive and Land action is an engament action but :

- the Dive and Slash action is it an engagement action ?

- he Dive and Grab action is it an engagement action ?

When we play a game (Norse vs Ysian), we find that Hrafnmann are really powefull because when they do a Dive and Slash action, they kill the Seer-Drune in the Ax-Drune unit (and some warriors) with all of their weapons, they lost a little CONSTITUTION with the Reflex Attack reaction of the Ax-Drune unit and they Soar again.
That's why we want to know exaclty how work the Dive action for understand it correctly and be sure to don't make mistakes.

Please make video for explanation ! :)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:03 pm

smeagol98 wrote:I am sorry I will ask again questions about the Dive action because it is one of the actions I dont' know how to play it. I know that the Dive and Land action is an engament action but :

- the Dive and Slash action is it an engagement action ?

- he Dive and Grab action is it an engagement action ?

Neither are, currently; only the Dive and Land action is an Engagement action.

smeagol98 wrote:When we play a game (Norse vs Ysian), we find that Hrafnmann are really powefull because when they do a Dive and Slash action, they kill the Seer-Drune in the Ax-Drune unit (and some warriors) with all of their weapons, they lost a little CONSTITUTION with the Reflex Attack reaction of the Ax-Drune unit and they Soar again.
That's why we want to know exaclty how work the Dive action for understand it correctly and be sure to don't make mistakes.

Yes, that's what they're designed to do... Dive and Slash is very powerful. Flyers are nasty!

I can see that the Dived units may need to perform an Engagement reaction, as it may be too nasty (although it's not too bad, in my experience); so I could easily turn both into Engagement actions. However, I'd need to see evidence that it's game-breaking.

Personally, if there's flyers about, I try to put my wizards in a wood ;o)

smeagol98 wrote:Please make video for explanation ! :)

Well, I will try... currently, getting the videos done is problematical. I do hope to get them sorted in 2017, however.

Cheers
Rob
smeagol98

Postby smeagol98 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:08 am

If the Dive and Slash action is not an Engagement action, how do we have to play it on the battlefield ? I explain me :

- in my last exemple of our game, do we have to put the Hravfnmann on the battflied, and so in contact with the Ax-Drune unit, to see whitch model strike whitch one and whitwh model can do a reflex reaction ?
- do we have only to say (without positionning the models on the battlefield) this model strike this one ? and so all the ax-Drune unit may do a reflex reaction ?
- It is this mecanic I try to understand, exaclty in game how that work and do we have to play it.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:21 pm

smeagol98 wrote:If the Dive and Slash action is not an Engagement action, how do we have to play it on the battlefield ? I explain me :

- in my last exemple of our game, do we have to put the Hravfnmann on the battflied, and so in contact with the Ax-Drune unit, to see whitch model strike whitch one and whitwh model can do a reflex reaction ?

No, you don't have to in any way - just say which warriors you're attacking.

smeagol98 wrote:- do we have only to say (without positionning the models on the battlefield) this model strike this one ? and so all the ax-Drune unit may do a reflex reaction ?
- It is this mecanic I try to understand, exaclty in game how that work and do we have to play it.

See 6.16.7, second paragraph, on p183.

Only those that have been Slashed can perform Reflex Attack actions, and only those up to the Diving and Slashing unit's strength.

So, in your example, the Hrafnmann's strength is 4, so 4 warriors of strength 1 could Reflex Attack him; but only those who have been Slashed by the Hrafnmann. In your case, the Seer-Drune and Ax-Drunes.

Cheers
Rob
smeagol98

Postby smeagol98 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:54 pm

ok I begin to understand, I am not quick lol !
And for a unit of 5 Hrafnmann, all the models can Dive and Slash the Seer-Drune or only one ?

If the warriors that have been Slashed by the Hrafnmann died, they cannot attack in reaction ? the rest of the unit neither because they are not the targets of the Dive and Slash action ? is it right ?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:06 pm

smeagol98 wrote:ok I begin to understand, I am not quick lol !
And for a unit of 5 Hrafnmann, all the models can Dive and Slash the Seer-Drune or only one ?

Correct. All of them can. Hide him in a wood!

smeagol98 wrote:If the warriors that have been Slashed by the Hrafnmann died, they cannot attack in reaction ? the rest of the unit neither because they are not the targets of the Dive and Slash action ? is it right ?

In your example, if the Seer-Drune dies, no, he can't; but as long as there's Ax-Drunes left, they can Reflex Attack.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”