Jutes vs Erainn ~ 999 Gold (uncompleted game)

A place to tell the world about your games of Darklands
deadlydeceiver

Jutes vs Erainn ~ 999 Gold (uncompleted game)

Postby deadlydeceiver » Mon May 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Due to popular demand I'll post my latest battle report of a fun, but sadly unfinished game of Darklands.

The game was between me and my buddy Dinzi about 2 weeks ago. Due to our collections being in early stages, we had to settle around 980 Gold for our hosts to avoid the need for proxies.
The Érainn also had no sorcerer at their disposal, so I didn't field one either.

Let me begin with the hosts:
My Jutes

The general commanded the Gasta and the big unit of Dreagutha, the Wiht Thain led the rest.

Dinzis Érainn

The Fen Beasts followed their ancient, the other were placed under the generals command.

The Field
Due to our time shortage we went for a straight forward set up on the short edges of a 48"x72" board, as we feel movement plays a bigger role that way.
That being said, I REALLY like the set up from the rules

Last edited by deadlydeceiver on Mon May 15, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come visit my blog about Mierce, Kingdom Death and more
http://sendtheeighth.blogspot.de/
deadlydeceiver

Hour 1

Postby deadlydeceiver » Mon May 15, 2017 6:28 pm

The Érainn won the initative for the first hour. Everyone ran or marched :mrgreen: Sorry, really not much to say here...
Seems both sides were wary of the opponents shooting abilities. :roll:
Last edited by deadlydeceiver on Mon May 15, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
deadlydeceiver

Hour 2

Postby deadlydeceiver » Mon May 15, 2017 6:31 pm

The Jutes won the initative for the second hour.
It began with some shuffling infantry with the Wihtgar spreading out to be harder to hit by the thrown rocks and the Tuanagh running forward.
When the small Dreaguth-unit tried to advance they got stuck in the woods and barely managed to get free from the treacherous terrain.
The Fen Beasts apparently spotted the struggling undead (must be a funny sight) and unleashed their first volley of bolders for a meager 21 damage.
That was the moment the Gasta had waited for. Swiftly they glided from the cover of the woods to unleash their curses gazes and magic lantern-light at close range, dealing 40 damage and attaching 2 soul tokens to the spent Fen Beasts.
The Oak Beast, out of sight of all the action, moved in at running pace.
The Jute Dreaguth-general might be dead, but he wasn't slow to act! He drew his unit out of cover and got the Fen Beasts within range of his lantern. The light cut across the field, felling one Fen Beast and attaching another soul token to the unit. Lucky!
The hour ended with the soul damage dealing further 15 damage to the trees and 2 tokens remaining.
Last edited by deadlydeceiver on Mon May 15, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadlydeceiver

Hour 3

Postby deadlydeceiver » Mon May 15, 2017 6:39 pm

The Jutes held the initative for the third hour, beginning with another barrage of non-solid projectiles on the Fen Beasts.
Turning tail like the real terrors they are, the Gasta quickly hid behind the forest once again, not realizing the incoming danger.
Enraged the Fen Beasts crushed a Dreaguth under a big bolder, before advancing at walking pace.
The diminished Dreaguth unit raced in and angrily returned the favor by gazing off the last point of health from the wounded treeman.
The Tuanagh ran on and the Wihtgar got ready to back up the Dreagutha in the upcoming battle against the Fen Beasts.
Culaitar, the Oak Beast finally joined the battle. The intended target was under minimum range of the boulder, so he flicked it towards the big Dreaguth unit but missed it in the process.
The Dreagutha angily glared at hulking monster for meager 7 damage before quickly scurrying out of sight.
Another 5 point of soul damage were dealt to the Fen Beasts at the end of the hour, but both tokens remained.
Last edited by deadlydeceiver on Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deadlydeceiver

Hour 4

Postby deadlydeceiver » Mon May 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Culaitar violently charged the unsuspecting Gasta which shrieked certainly as much in surprise as in defiance.
Despite the defeaning cry the monstrous treeman slamed into the undead, smashing one of the ancient rulers to pieces in his onslaught.
Swinging their glaives with skill honed in centuries of practice the Gasta managed to cut 27 damage from the Oak Beast, loosing the melee by far.
But the undead kings will never again be shaken by anything and remained in the fight.

This marked the end of the game. :cry:
Last edited by deadlydeceiver on Mon May 15, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadlydeceiver

Thoughts

Postby deadlydeceiver » Mon May 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Tally:
Èrainn killed 163 Gold worth of Undead
Jutes took 146 Gold worth of Fen Beasts.

It was a huge mistake on my part to let my mobile fire-base aka Gasta be charged by the Oak Beast and probably the game changer!
The Oak Beast is incredibly powerful and my only chance to take it down was using my superior mobility to wittle it down with shooting before charging it myself with the Gasta.
So I believe that game would've gone downhill for the Jutes from that point onwards.
The treemen certainly have the upper hand in close combat and the 12" range on the gazes brings the Dreagutha in charge range of the Fen Beasts.

Dinzi wasn't so sure about that on the other hand, as he had spent all of his shots already and the Dreagutha are much more mobile and could keep gazing.

Final thoughts on the game:

- Gasta are a great and incredibly mobile firebase, yet quite fragile. Also my shooting rolls were quite lucky I believe they're awesome all-rounders.

- Shriek is extreme. If it goes off the effect is incredibly strong, especially since the opponent has no defense-roll whatsoever.

- Throwing missed often in our game, but that was mainly bad luck as the odds for a direct hit are actually quite good. The fact that wound+ also applies to splashed warriors makes the potential damage output of a single throw scary.

It didn't come up in this game, but we wondered whether a unit that has shot/shrieked in the current hour may still "hold and shoot/shriek" when charged?

So, that concludes the report, I hope you enjoyed it.

Best Sven
Last edited by deadlydeceiver on Mon May 15, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skull king

Re: Jutes vs Erainn ~ 999 Gold (unfinished)

Postby Skull king » Mon May 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Both Armies look great! Trees vs Undead, a classic rivalry.
Beire

Re: Jutes vs Erainn ~ 999 Gold (uncompleted game)

Postby Beire » Tue May 16, 2017 8:38 am

Sven, this is a very enjoyable Battle report. The miniatures and scenery look good and full of atmosphere. Great job man!
deadlydeceiver

Postby deadlydeceiver » Tue May 16, 2017 10:00 am

@Skull King: My profound thanks your fleshless majesty.

@ Beire: Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Also it's not quite as atmospheric as your field and pictures. ;)
antoine

Postby antoine » Tue May 16, 2017 10:10 am

Nice battlefield, great models, interesting fights, thanks very much for this batrep!
JediCat

Postby JediCat » Tue May 16, 2017 1:20 pm

May I asked what you used for the rock templates? Also, great battle report! I seriously lack in the terrain department currently....
"Be as brutal and as sneaky and as nasty with your list as you wish - Darklands is not pink fluffy communist Warhammer" ~Rob Lane, May 17th, 2017
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue May 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Good work Sven!! Love it. We need more battle reports ;o)

Cheers
Rob
deadlydeceiver

Postby deadlydeceiver » Tue May 16, 2017 4:05 pm

@antoine: I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

@JediCat: I think he used the 3" Ice Shard and 2" Stone Shard crush templates. http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php? ... re=tpf-tpl

@Rob: Yay! :mrgreen:
CountCrushmore

Postby CountCrushmore » Sun May 28, 2017 8:57 am

A great report - a great table and two very nice hosts, thank you very much for sharing!
You can´t spell cOuNt crUshMOre without ONUMO!

Return to “Battle Reports”