Swift Actions (Slam, Trample Ect.)

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Simock03

Swift Actions (Slam, Trample Ect.)

Postby Simock03 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:43 am

I may be failing super hard at reading rules here but we have been prepping for our first game of Darklands on Sunday and i cant seem to find anything telling me how to swift move. For example it says under tample, slam and other actiongs that they become swift (X), and i know swift is if you move more than your pace.
For example i choose to do a trample action. How far can i move? as i am not doing a walk, run or march. So i'm just not sure how under actions (such as trample, slam ext.) you actually move during them.
Jonathon Chester

Re: Swift Actions (Slam, Trample Ect.)

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:40 pm

A swift move is when you have moved more than your pace. Haven't got a page number to hand but will have a look for you :)
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Simock03 wrote:I may be failing super hard at reading rules here but we have been prepping for our first game of Darklands on Sunday and i cant seem to find anything telling me how to swift move. For example it says under tample, slam and other actiongs that they become swift (X), and i know swift is if you move more than your pace.

It's not really a rule, more of a description - a Swift Move, as James says, is any Move that's further than a warrior's PACE (or half his FLIGHT).

Simock03 wrote:For example i choose to do a trample action. How far can i move? as i am not doing a walk, run or march. So i'm just not sure how under actions (such as trample, slam ext.) you actually move during them.

Now that is a very good point. It looks like that's not defined anywhere (or at least, that I can find). I can only think I've deliberately excluded that to ensure something else works.

What I'll do is amend this to make it clear that a Swift Engagement is up to twice your current PACE, but not in the Trample action - in the Engagement action rules.

6·10·5·1·2
SWIFT ENGAGE
If the Engaging unit wishes to Engage Move as quickly as possible - or is compelled to, in the case of units under ATTACK orders - then it uses its SWIFT ENGAGE MOVE, which is defined as further than and up to twice the Engaging unit's current PACE attribute (or further than half and up to its current FLIGHT attribute in the case of a Flying Engaging unit)

Does that make sense?

Cheers
Simock03

Postby Simock03 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:45 pm

So as part of any engage action you can move (as a normal move up to the listed pace) or swift move which is between pace and double pace?
If this is the case i am unsure why you would ever use the run action to indirect move into combat as they then have the same movement value? or is that the point that you wouldn't normally run into combat?
It makes sense to amend the engagement section as it will then apply to all of the engage actions.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:34 am

Simock03 wrote:So as part of any engage action you can move (as a normal move up to the listed pace) or swift move which is between pace and double pace?
If this is the case i am unsure why you would ever use the run action to indirect move into combat as they then have the same movement value? or is that the point that you wouldn't normally run into combat?
It makes sense to amend the engagement section as it will then apply to all of the engage actions.

Not really, a Direct Engagement can only be performed in a straight line so if you find yourself looking the wrong way your only option is to Run. Charging, Trampling and Slamming has a lot of benefits, but you can only do it in certain circumstances.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”