Engage and... And...?

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
HughB

Engage and... And...?

Postby HughB » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 am

Ok so two parts to this question and I'll get my excuses out of the way first.

Part 1 - Can a unit engage and shriek and gaze? I'm pretty sure its a case of either or (engage and shriek or engage and gaze) not both because 6.11.1.1 states 'Engaging units may perform one (my emphasis) of the embedded actions listed within the Engage and... action table' but I thought I'd check just to see how broken I could be.

Part 2 - The bottom paragraph in the first column on page 166 says that different warriors within a unit can engage and... with different embedded actions. So can I then do the following:

A dreaguth thain is attached to a unit of dreaguth. The unit decides to engage and... move to engage an enemy unit. So they decide to charge and... to get some combat bonuses. The dreaguth thain wants to engage and shriek and the dreaguth unit decides to engage and gaze. The gaze attack, along with all the other shooting attack must happen at half the engage distance along the engagement line. The shriek attack can happen at any time. So does this mean that, presuming the dreaguth thain is in range of the target unit, the thain can shriek first to halve the skill of the target unit then the unit can gaze at the newly unskilled unit so that its easier for the dreaguth to hit with their attacks and its more difficult for the engaged unit to pass their gaze test so they're at a higher risk of taking gaze damage rather than glance damage?

The more I think about what the dreaguth and ghast can/could do, the more I think they're complete power house and toolkit units.
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Engage and... And...?

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:26 am

HughB wrote:Ok so two parts to this question and I'll get my excuses out of the way first.

Part 1 - Can a unit engage and shriek and gaze? I'm pretty sure its a case of either or (engage and shriek or engage and gaze) not both because 6.11.1.1 states 'Engaging units may perform one (my emphasis) of the embedded actions listed within the Engage and... action table' but I thought I'd check just to see how broken I could be.

No - it can only perform one embedded action, not two.

HughB wrote:Part 2 - The bottom paragraph in the first column on page 166 says that different warriors within a unit can engage and... with different embedded actions. So can I then do the following:

A dreaguth thain is attached to a unit of dreaguth. The unit decides to engage and... move to engage an enemy unit. So they decide to charge and... to get some combat bonuses. The dreaguth thain wants to engage and shriek and the dreaguth unit decides to engage and gaze. The gaze attack, along with all the other shooting attack must happen at half the engage distance along the engagement line. The shriek attack can happen at any time. So does this mean that, presuming the dreaguth thain is in range of the target unit, the thain can shriek first to halve the skill of the target unit then the unit can gaze at the newly unskilled unit so that its easier for the dreaguth to hit with their attacks and its more difficult for the engaged unit to pass their gaze test so they're at a higher risk of taking gaze damage rather than glance damage?

In short... yes. Nobles can do things differently to their unit, in some things.

HughB wrote:The more I think about what the dreaguth and ghast can/could do, the more I think they're complete power house and toolkit units.

Indeed ;o)

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks for the confirmation Rob.

Third question in regard to this if I may. In the engage.. and process, could you engage and spray with a spray weapon that can be switched with a bite attack in combat, spray before engaging and then use the bite attack during your combat attacks?

Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:24 pm

HughB wrote:Thanks for the confirmation Rob.

Third question in regard to this if I may. In the engage.. and process, could you engage and spray with a spray weapon that can be switched with a bite attack in combat, spray before engaging and then use the bite attack during your combat attacks?

I’d believe so if Rob’s response to my charge and shoot query the other day. But I’d rather wait for Rob’s response to this specific query that outright say, I’d only be badly wrong!
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:13 pm

HughB wrote:Thanks for the confirmation Rob.

Yes.

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks to Jon and Rob both. Been playing nothing but quick start rules games for the last few months so I'm a bit rusty on the full rules and really looking forward to getting a full game in in the near future.

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”