Positioning Terrain Question

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Brightblade

Positioning Terrain Question

Postby Brightblade » Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 pm

I have a question on Positioning Terrain..

If playing on a 6x4 table, and based on a Positioning square being 2x2, would you roll to position Terrain in every 2x2 square, so in the 6x4 table you would have 6 pieces of Terrain, or do the Players decide the number of positioning squares available to them that will have terrain in them?

It doesn't quite make it clear in the Rule Book..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Garben

Re: Positioning Terrain Question

Postby Garben » Sat May 19, 2018 10:06 pm

Hi Brightblade, I may be able to help on this one. page 83 sequence table 3.3.1 top right of page, part 5 of sequence - repeat steps 2 to 5 until all squares contain at least one terrain feature.
on the same page paragraph 3.3.4.2.1 positioning square seems to state only 1 piece can be rolled for per square and I assume terrain like long hills or large woods can overlap and combine with other terrain.

you then add kindred terrain to the table as per page 85 - attacking general can pick one piece, defending general can choose two, marching generals do not choose but roll to generate two more terrain pieces
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Sat May 19, 2018 10:34 pm

So potentially on a 6x4 table you could have up to 10 pieces of terrain, that's one cluttered table..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
DrNO172000

Postby DrNO172000 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:58 am

The max you could have on a 6x4 is actually 8.

A 6x4 breaks down into 6 2x2s (so 6 pieces of terrain potentially), then while the defending general may place up to 2, if they choose to place the second one it must replace an already existing piece.

Pg 85 on the right side under Defending Generals "...but he must swap one terrain feature from those already positioned on the battlefield (that is not kindred terrain) with one of his kindred terrain features."

Keep in mind however that some rolls will really place nothing, for example, result 52-53 is a meadow that is 24"x24" so that makes that entire 2x2 open ground, 54-55 is a field that also covers the whole 2x2. So it's perfectly possible a 2x2 square just ends up open ground. Heck if you rolled all 6 times a meadow and both the attacking and defending general choose not to place kindred terrain (it says can and may, that means it's your choice in my mind) then you could have no terrain on a table theoretically.

As far as overlap, well there's no real chance of it, nothing is greater than 24" and all-terrain must be positioned completely within the chosen square. The sequence is pick a square on your side, roll, opponent places completely within that square and 5" from any edge (with the exception of water features, and ones that are 24" across obviously), then your opponent does the same until all squares are filled.

I suppose one can argue that terrain can overlap during the positioning of kindred terrain since the rule is simply you get to place your kindred terrain anywhere on your half of the board. However, since the rules don't explicitly state you can, that most likely means you cannot. Perhaps Rob can clear up whether or not you can overlap terrain during Kindred terrain placement.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue May 22, 2018 1:38 pm

DrNO172000 wrote:I suppose one can argue that terrain can overlap during the positioning of kindred terrain since the rule is simply you get to place your kindred terrain anywhere on your half of the board. However, since the rules don't explicitly state you can, that most likely means you cannot. Perhaps Rob can clear up whether or not you can overlap terrain during Kindred terrain placement.

Kindred terrain can overlap squares - i.e., it can be positioned anywhere in your half - but can't overlap other terrain of course.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”