499pts Arthur vs Geoff first game

A place to tell the world about your games of Darklands
Arthur

499pts Arthur vs Geoff first game

Postby Arthur » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:06 pm

I have an early start tomorrow as I am going to the Games Expo so this will have to just be some pictures for now. I just thought our first game shouldn't pass unrecorded!

Jonathon Chester

Re: 499pts Arthur vs Geoff first game

Postby Jonathon Chester » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:25 pm

Wow you guys painted these up nicely! The eternal
Question who was victorious? Ysians or Formoraic?
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:28 pm

NIce Battlefield, love the Terrain.. Nicely painted Mini's too..

What does the String signify?
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Arthur

Postby Arthur » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:52 am

Jonathon wrote:Wow you guys painted these up nicely! The eternal

I'm hoping Geoff will spot this and add a few words as he's better at telling a good tale than me. It was a learning game and we dived in and tried everything, to the point that we tried implementing the master rules for two feral/frenzied units where one charges in and the other counter charges. We had a jolly time and we were making headway into it but you can imagine it was rocky going for two noobs. We rolled dice but no one died, we all went home for our supper.

We agreed to stick to the apprentice rules (we both read that bit in the book and we both ignored it) in future!

Brightblade wrote:NIce Battlefield, love the Terrain.. Nicely painted Mini's too..

What does the String signify?

Its the extent of snow covering.

I didn't know all of the ins and outs of what it did, I stuck it like that assuming my guys fought better in it and wondering if Geoff ever got to invoke something at me whether my camouflage in snow would help me.
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:09 am

Hey, excellent to see this here, awesome stuff Arthur! Indeed a record of our first game should go recorded - it will remind us as how much we have learned in a few months time ;_)

I think you you summed up what happened very nicely mate, I can't really add anything to that. It was awesome to actually see a game of Darklands take place at the club, with our models all (or almost) done, and even though we didn't get very far into it the evening gave us some idea as to the (initial) flow of the game. It's made tackling the rules easier and we're off now - we'll start getting our heads around it more each week. It's that first push down the hill with no stabilisers on yer bike. So we fell off at the first kerb, but we know what the brake does now.

One thing that I've been thinking about is what benefit does kindred terrain give? I'm not sure it does. The snow covering would be useful but your small guys would be just as hampered by it as us.

Great pics mate, thanks for the post.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:27 am

Darkgeoff wrote:One thing that I've been thinking about is what benefit does kindred terrain give? I'm not sure it does. The snow covering would be useful but your small guys would be just as hampered by it as us.

I believe that with the Fomoraic and Snowy weather or snowy kindred terrain an attacker gets a +1 modifier when Shooting or performing a Line of Sight invoke action, but I believe it's only on certain Fomoraic realms, I think The Cursed Hurd being one of them if not the only one.

Kindred Forest terrain for Anglecynn for example provides Dense Cover but with the ability for the Wolves to move freely with no movement penalties, and also allows the Wolves to perform an emerge and ambush action from the forest when under Scout or Flank orders.
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:48 am

You can use the snow field to close off a flank to uor opponent, also some formoraic units ignore the penalties and gain cover from being in it.
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:51 am

Well, there you go. That's great, many thanks for the clarifications guys. Guess my Ysians best pack their snowshoes from now on.
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:10 am

Jonathon Chester wrote:Wow you guys painted these up nicely! The eternal

Thank you very much Jonathon. Despite his own claims, Arthur is a very talented painter and modelmaker. He's so fast too, I don't know how he tables so much quality stuff in the time he does. Scenery, model carrying boxes, terrain... it's quite inspiring if not a little daunting to a noob. As for my little dudes, they are OK I think, for the level I'm at. Each one is hopefully a slight improvement on the last and I'm learning the basics of painting on each of them. Ta for the kind words.

Who won? We both did!Though we didn't finish the first battle hour, we walked away with a better grasp of the game and the sense of accomplishment that comes with getting this game on the table for the first time since Salute.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:09 pm

Darkgeoff wrote:Well, there you go. That's great, many thanks for the clarifications guys. Guess my Ysians best pack their snowshoes from now on.

Worth noting I believe units of 60mm bases or bigger can walk through normally
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Worth noting I believe units of 60mm bases or bigger can walk through normally

Yep, Brugg was totally fine with the snow. First time he's washed his feet I bet. Was thinking more of the smaller units, including some of the Gabrax (small sheep dudes) that could have been slowed by it.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:13 pm

I believe the Gabrax can be camouflaged in the snow so I would guess their movement is not impaired by it..

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:33 pm

I believe the Gabrax can be camouflaged in the snow so I would guess their movement is not impaired by it..

Well, whoop de doo for them. Does it help the Ysians? Nope. It probably gives my lot really crap modifiers etc., so snow can ... just go flake itself. I'm taking my hobby knife next time so that 'snow' is going to 'thaw' a little whenever Arthur takes a break from the table. I should have rephrased the comment to 'wonder how kindred terrain helps MY host.' ;)
Last edited by Geoff on Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:55 pm

It is only the Cursed Hurd though and ònly certain units and nobles..

Arthur

Postby Arthur » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:55 pm

I'd best swap out Brugg for this beaut fresh from the Ysian cattleshed (pre-painted too).

MILKING ACTION.
Vigorous action

The unit performing the milking action, referred to as the Milking Unit, must be within base contact of the target Gabrax unit, now called the Milked Unit. The milked unit must make an Injured Pride test (using its Temper) or immediately become Prone, shamed and humiliated before fleeing the battlefield.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:04 pm

Love that... lmao

Arthur

Postby Arthur » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:39 am

MILKING ACTION

Requirement: Mammary glands

So at Salute we both chose kindreds that appealed to us visually, I'm getting a feeling I don't know you as well as I thought I did :?
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:02 am

Well, some monsters are better than udders, obviously. :D
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 am

Did you try the Quick Play Guide rules first, chaps?

I always love to see battle reports!

Cheers
Rob
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:30 am

Rob Lane wrote:Did you try the Quick Play Guide rules first, chaps?

Yeah, of course we did.... (notices there's no looking away and whistling emote)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:36 am

Sigh... ;)

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:49 am

Arthur wrote:MILKING ACTION

Requirement: Mammary glands

So at Salute we both chose kindreds that appealed to us visually, I'm getting a feeling I don't know you as well as I thought I did :?

Sometimes you have to accept peopl have ‘interests’ that they’ll never show you...until ysians are a choice
Arthur

Postby Arthur » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:38 am

Geoff's enthusiasm for all things Darklands is infectious! We first gamed together in the early '80s, both of us can trace gaming heritage back to the '70s. I'd even call myself a grognard!

I wouldn't say I have been jaded as a gamer, I'm loving the current gaming scene and I play a lot of different systems regularly, but Darklands has been an opportunity to follow Geoff and just throw caution and sense to one side and dive in in a way that I haven't done for a long time. It's been a breath of fresh air, I wouldn't want to introduce too much sense into how Geoff and I are approaching Darklands :lol:
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Well that sounds brilliant Arthur - welcome, and I hope it keeps those juices flowing!

What do you think of it so far?

Cheers
Rob
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:51 pm

For me, it's too early to say. The miniatures are undoubtedly superb and they've been (and continue to be) a fun and challenging excercise to get on the table. We're only just able to begin wrestling with the rulebook now we have a small host to field. And I do mean wrestle. Rob, it is a very detailed game, with actions and reactions, loads of stuff that affects other stuff, etc. I am sure once the AhhAA! moment kicks in, it will all fall into place and we'll start to battle each other with gusto, but right now it's a matter of reading, pondering, asking questions on here and getting to the table once a week until the penny drops. It is a tough game to learn.

I said to Arthur its like having a Haines Manual. It's really detailed and shows you how things work, but it doesn't tell you how to drive the bloody car! :)

Expect us at at the event, with our L plates on.

As for the world, lore, kindreds, setting, etc... LOVING IT MATE!
Arthur

Postby Arthur » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Rob Lane wrote:

Hi Rob, I'm enjoying it, I view Darklands as a counter culture, going in the opposite way of all of the other game systems I'm involved with. Whilst the other systems I play are going very streamlined in the rules, Darklands has some proper crunch about it and with a regular opponent like Geoff around I know we'll work through it and eventually get a great grasp of it.

In the 90s I played Advanced Squad Leader by Avalon Hill so I know the joy of mastering a more complex system, it's a rewarding process especially if you are in a good group. In the same period starting Darklands at Salute this year, I have pretty much mastered Star Wars Legion and can play games without the rule book, there's something be said for that accessibility but the joy of the hobby is the spread of different systems available.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Good, I'm glad you're enjoying it! In my view playing a wargame should be about depth; there are so many aspects within Darklands, the game - and so many ways it can be played - it makes every battle different.

Once you get used to the basics, the rest is just a matter of applying layers of rules!

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Battle Reports”