Kindred Motivations

Somewhere to discuss or ask questions about the lore surrounding the Lands of Darkness.
Dan Pratt

Kindred Motivations

Postby Dan Pratt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:41 pm

I'm curious about the respective motivations of the kindreds. What would drive them to fight abroad? Gain territory? Steal livestock, take captives? Secure economic sites (tin mines, salt works*)? Secure holy sites? Who wants what and why?

*Suggested reading: Salt: A World History, Mark Kurlansky
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Kindred Motivations

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:45 pm

Well if you want a big treatise on it, you're out of luck - I don't have time for that. This is such a broad question it's almost impossible for me to answer without writing an essay.

Suffice to say, history is your friend. What drives anyone to fight abroad? Plunder, defending friends, securing holy sites, blah blah blah.

Be more specific, is what I would say.

Cheers
Rob
DrNO172000

Postby DrNO172000 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:50 pm

While the subject material takes place a bit later than Darklands Anders Winroth's The Age of Vikings is a great read. He argues that lack of opportunities in their native Scandinavia both social and economic led to Viking raids.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:54 pm

DrNO172000 wrote:While the subject material takes place a bit later than Darklands Anders Winroth's The Age of Vikings is a great read. He argues that lack of opportunities in their native Scandinavia both social and economic led to Viking raids.

That would be my thoughts, and most people's thoughts I would have imagined, to a degree; don't forget, men are naturally warlike (well they certainly were then) and you should never underestimate the sheer attraction of booty and slaughter. Don't let pacifist-revisionist historians dumb the vikings down into anything but what they were - bloodthirsty warmongerers.

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:47 pm

What is the end goal of Cadwaladr’s plans the retaking got lost land to the Germanic tribes? Is it a total domination of the lands of Briton or more limited to securing what they currently have?
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:49 pm

At the moment, limited to securing what they have - the Anglo-Saxons would be almost impossible to shift in 650AD. Plus, they are allied with some Angles and some Saxons.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Lore”