Fringes of the map

Somewhere to discuss or ask questions about the lore surrounding the Lands of Darkness.
Nimor

Fringes of the map

Postby Nimor » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi Rob,

I've got an asortment of questions regarding the somewhat wider scope of the darklands world. I'm aware of the possibility that some of these might not have been explored in detail by you yet while others you might not wan't to disclose at this point in time. So just pick those you're willing to answer.

As an germanic people what was the shift of the Visigoths/the Goths before they became christian and abandoned the old ways and is it currently dormant as in the case of the Franks?

Are the thuringian, alemmanian and bavarian peoples independent players (the latter two could very well be part of the byzantine empire depending on the scope of their reconquista)? What would be their shifts?

While talking about the Byzantines you mentioned the Rus, apart from their norse overlords what's the mojo of the slavic peoples given the germanic ones are shifters while those of the Isle have pacts with the more ancient entities of the land?

In general, do you plan to expand the map after exploring the Seaxans, Frisians as well as the remaining realms of the existing factions (far in the future, I know) or are the borders set in order tokeep the isles as the centerstage?

Thanks in advance
Martin
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Fringes of the map

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Nimor wrote:Hi Rob,

I've got an asortment of questions regarding the somewhat wider scope of the darklands world. I'm aware of the possibility that some of these might not have been explored in detail by you yet while others you might not wan't to disclose at this point in time. So just pick those you're willing to answer.

That's pretty much the case with all of your questions I'm afraid, but I'll answer what I can... the wider scope of the Darklands world is a stretch too far right now, but I'm not saying we will never expand - just that we've tons to do with what we've got!

Nimor wrote:As an germanic people what was the shift of the Visigoths/the Goths before they became christian and abandoned the old ways and is it currently dormant as in the case of the Franks?

Oh, you mean shape-shift... well that's something I'm not willing to divulge right now, to be honest. Suffice to say there's a reason Danilo Cruz bears a cross and is a beast-slayer.

Nimor wrote:Are the thuringian, alemmanian and bavarian peoples independent players (the latter two could very well be part of the byzantine empire depending on the scope of their reconquista)? What would be their shifts?

They're independent and, again, I'm not willing to say on their shifts. Sorry!

Nimor wrote:While talking about the Byzantines you mentioned the Rus, apart from their norse overlords what's the mojo of the slavic peoples given the germanic ones are shifters while those of the Isle have pacts with the more ancient entities of the land?

I'm not sure what you mean by "those of the isle"... are you asking me whether Slavs are shape-shifters?

Nimor wrote:In general, do you plan to expand the map after exploring the Seaxans, Frisians as well as the remaining realms of the existing factions (far in the future, I know) or are the borders set in order tokeep the isles as the centerstage?

I will never say never on expansion, but there's so much to do in northwest Europe I can't see anything happening for a long, long time; so it's kind of pointless for me to say I'm planning expansions because I genuinely am not, certainly as I have the Seaxans, Friesians, Visigoths, Franks and whatnot still to do...

Cheers
Rob
Nimor

Postby Nimor » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:47 pm

As I feared, fingers crossed that the time will come when those regions are ripe to be revealed.

Concerning the slavs. I meant as the germanic peeoples are shapeshifters and the native ones on the British Isles have pacts with older entities like dragons and oghurs maybe the slavs would have something similar. ;)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Nimor wrote:As I feared, fingers crossed that the time will come when those regions are ripe to be revealed.

Concerning the slavs. I meant as the germanic peeoples are shapeshifters and the native ones on the British Isles have pacts with older entities like dragons and oghurs maybe the slavs would have something similar. ;)

The Celts are not shapeshifters; they form pacts with beasts, really. There is some debate as to whether Slavs are Germanic, and to be honest, I may well make the Slavs not Germanic - so not shapeshifters at all. Simply because there's so many Germanic peoples in Darklands already!

Cheers
Rob
DrNO172000

Postby DrNO172000 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:37 am

Rob Lane wrote:
Nimor wrote:As I feared, fingers crossed that the time will come when those regions are ripe to be revealed.

The Celts are not shapeshifters; they form pacts with beasts, really. There is some debate as to whether Slavs are Germanic, and to be honest, I may well make the Slavs not Germanic - so not shapeshifters at all. Simply because there's so many Germanic peoples in Darklands already!

Cheers
Rob

The Slavs could always ask Baba Yaga for help
DrNO172000

Postby DrNO172000 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:52 am

Speaking of fringes I often wonder are there Djinn running around the middle east, and Oni in Japan. In other words is the rest of the world full of mythological creatures appropriate to their cultures?
Last edited by DrNO172000 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 am

DrNO172000 wrote:Speaking of fringes I often wonder are their Djinn running around the middle east, and Oni in Japan. In other words is the rest of the world full of mythological creatures appropriate to their cultures?

That's an interesting thought...

Undead Samurai
Chinese Dragons
Giant mutant Egyptian Sphinx
Giant Russian Bears
Man Eating Koala Bears... ok maybe not those..

The possibilities are endless..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:45 am

DrNO172000 wrote:Speaking of fringes I often wonder are their Djinn running around the middle east, and Oni in Japan. In other words is the rest of the world full of mythological creatures appropriate to their cultures?

Yes, absolutely.

Cheers
Rob
DrNO172000

Postby DrNO172000 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Rob Lane wrote:

Yes, absolutely.

Cheers
Rob

I figured as much, it does certainly make the imagination run wild. Darklands needs an RPG!
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:44 am

Not while I'm alive ;)

Cheers
Rob
DrNO172000

Postby DrNO172000 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:32 pm

Rob Lane wrote:Not while I'm alive ;)

Cheers
Rob

Hahaha Dungeons and Dragons was the first tabletop game I ever played. RPGs have a special place in my heart.
Dan Pratt

Postby Dan Pratt » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Not while I'm alive ;)

Yeah guys, Rob needs to focus on Darklands 50,000 first :lol:
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:25 pm

DrNO172000 wrote:
Hahaha Dungeons and Dragons was the first tabletop game I ever played. RPGs have a special place in my heart.

I still do play DnD but it's gone 21st century, we play over Skype.. ;)
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Weirdos. You lot are way down on the geek hierarchy! ;)

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Lore”