Thinking about jumping in... a guiding hand needed

For players in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales to introduce themselves.
cornishlee

Thinking about jumping in... a guiding hand needed

Postby cornishlee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi all,

I spent some time in the early to mid nineties playing Warhammer... more time painting than playing, if I'm honest. That was the last time I played a miniatures game. I thought about trying to get back into Warhammer just as The End Times kicked off but I held back to see what happened (thankfully). Since then, I've thought about trying to find a Middlehammer group near me, once or twice, but never that seriously.

Mostly, these days, I play boardgames. Mostly solo boardgames, in fact, and mostly euros. There are a few miniatures players in my local group but they generally play Frostgrave or historical stuff and neither has ever appealed to me.

Last week, somehow, I stumbled across the Mierce website. I have vague recollections of seeing something about Darklands around the time that I flirted with getting back into Warhammer (The End Times time). I forgot all about it though. Stumbling across it now, I can see a world that's being fully supported by a company and that's continuing to develop. Moreover, it's a world I can instantly love (I more or less grew up on Slaine) and which has some very, very cool minis.

I've watched the playthrough on YouTube and it reminds me, very much, of my old miniature gaming days but, without trying it, there's no way of knowing just how much I'd like that these days. So, I was wondering if there were any players near me who might be prepared to teach a stranger the game one night? This isn't urgent (in fact it can't be - I'm basically unavailable for the next month) but it would be good to know and fix something up, if possible.

I live between Towcester and Brackley and work in Oxford, commuting most days. So the Towcester/Brackley area, the Buckingham, Bicester and Oxford areas are all convenient for me if there's anyone around here.

Lee.
Last edited by cornishlee on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brightblade

Re: Thinking about jumping in... a guiding hand needed

Postby Brightblade » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:06 am

Hi Lee, before playing Darklands i'd never played a Miniatures Wargame, was always an old DnD'er, but a friend introduced me to it about 6 months ago, and I love it.

The mini's are incredibly detailed, and with all the Starter Hosts, and monthly offers they are decently priced.

The game itself is excellent, it can be as tactical as you want it to be, or as quick as you want it to be, with two sets of Rules for Quick Play or for the more in depth Tactical play. Both are good, the Quick Play is basically Skirmish, all rush in and bash each other, where as the Tactical is very rich in strategy, with Reactions, and Counter reactions and lots more besides..

Myself, I have three kindreds, the Anglecynn, (love the werewolves), Fomoraic, (think Beast Men), and Atalantean, (think Sparta/Greek Mythology/Jason and the Arganouts...etc)

Myself and few friends play up in the Rugeley area, probably a bit far for you, but if you fancied a taster of the game and are willing to travel, I'd be happy for you to use my mini's for the evening to see how you find the game..

I know there is a group who play in Coventry, but again may be a bit far for you..

If you are interested in coming to Rugeley, we play most Sundays from 6pm, and game usually lasts until about 9pm, sometimes shorter sometimes longer..

Anyways, welcome to the Dark Ages.

Scott
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi Scott, thanks for replying and for the offer. Google has Rugeley as about an hour and a half from me, so it would be a bit far for a regular meeting but might work as a one off, to try the game, if no-one else volunteers.

Hope you enjoy your game, tonight.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Lee, if you've got a friend whose interested bring them along too if you get no better offers locally to you..

The difficulty you'll find if you do like the game us finding people to play it with, I was lucky as was introduced by a friend who plays then found another player close by so the three of us play..

Hence if you can convince a friend the longevity of the game will last as you can battle together..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:08 am

Hi Lee,

Welcome to the forum. My initial advice would to be to play the basic rules (little pamphlet version) for your first game or two to get the base core mechanics down and then with the rulebook I’d advise going through the three levels of rules so you get the layers into your head nicely rather than overloading your brain in one go.

As brightblade has said, the minis are gorgeous to paint I’ve never had any issues it’s motivating myself to paint them. If anything I struggle to decide how to paint them lol.

I am one of the group based in Coventry and we have our club night on Tuesdays in Bedworth I’m not sure f that’s too far out your way but please feel free to ask as I have two kindreds to use.

Enjoy your journey into Darklands.
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks Jonathan, Bedworth's looking better - apparently 50 minutes to an hour.

My local club meets on Tuesday nights so I'm going to try and see, tomorrow, if I can get one or two of the others interested. My suspicion is that they'll just try and persuade me to play Frostgrave, though!
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:01 am

Hi Lee,

No worries if you let me know there are 4 of us who play and if we plan in advance I’m sure we can organise a few games for a group.

We have Brythoniaid, kthones, Erainn, Atalantes, formoraic and albainn between us.
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks Jonathan, the Albainn are one of the kindred I'm eyeing up (well, you know, I'm Cornish and they have giants) but I'd honestly be happy to try anything at the moment.

I emailed three guys at my club, about Darklands, yesterday and saw two of them last night. They seemed vaguely intrigued but we'll see if they want to follow it up or not.

The third guy reacted as I expected. From his email:

'Sorry, I've not heard of them so can't pass any comment. However, I did a quick search and found a post on Dakka Dakka about them

'Note, in the post they talk about the rules being crunchy, which implies detailed, in my mind.

'What is it you're after in the game, as there are some alternatives that we may already have amongst us (not trying to sway you)? '
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Rules are intensive but I like that aspect it offers a great deal of depth.

Let me know and we can organise something for you :)
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Ironically, I think I used the word 'crunchy' the night before, when talking about the game with the other guys. I've watched both of Rob's youtube playthroughs - the quickstart one and the full rules. It certainly doesn't put me off - it's actually one of the things that appeals and reminds me of nineties Warhammer.

I'm probably not going to be able to get out and have fun now before 12th December but sometime after that I'm definitely up for doing something. If any of the other guys show interest, I'll let you know. It's a shame our clubs both meet on the same night!
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:46 am

No worries when you have some dates free we can try to organise something for you :)
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:17 am

There is always Ruegely on a Sunday if you're up for the extra 30 minutes in the car.. ;)

cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:59 pm

I might well take advantage of the Rugeley offer as well!
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:57 pm

cornishlee wrote:I might well take advantage of the Rugeley offer as well!

You're more than welcome to Cornishlee. :D

Let me know if you want more details.
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:22 am

Thanks, Grizzle.
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Looks like someone else from my gaming group may be interested in joining me. Don't let me down, boys!
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:00 pm

cornishlee wrote:Looks like someone else from my gaming group may be interested in joining me. Don't let me down, boys!

All good news :)
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:12 am

Lee,

Did you and your friend get up to Bedworth for a Game of Darklands with Jon's crew?

Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:29 am

Lee is still to arrange to come up to us with his friend
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi both,

Sorry, December was really hectic for me. I went along to my local game night yesterday and checked with the other fella that he's still interested. He is. I've just emailed him to see whether he'd prefer the Sunday or Tuesday night - I might still be up for both.

Lee.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:04 pm

cornishlee wrote:Hi both,

Sorry, December was really hectic for me. I went along to my local game night yesterday and checked with the other fella that he's still interested. He is. I've just emailed him to see whether he'd prefer the Sunday or Tuesday night - I might still be up for both.

Lee.

Lee,

Let us know if your gonna come to Rugeley for a Sunday gaming session and I'll make sure we are there..

Also,

If you check out the Coffa Tree 2019 post, if you take to the game come along to the event..

http://www.mierce-miniatures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=992

cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:29 pm

I've just messaged Jonathan - it looks like we're good to go!

Brightblade - depending on how we feel after Tuesday night, I (or both of us) might still come up to Rugeley on a Sunday, sometime, as well.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:20 pm

cornishlee wrote:I've just messaged Jonathan - it looks like we're good to go!

Brightblade - depending on how we feel after Tuesday night, I (or both of us) might still come up to Rugeley on a Sunday, sometime, as well.

Lee,

That's great news, we game from 6pm to roughly about 10pm but have been known to finish a bit earlier or later depending on how quick or slow the game is going..

If you can give me a definate answer on if your coming up and if your coming up alone, if the latter then I should be able to get someone to play you, probably myself.

The club costs are £2 per player for the evening, although we don't always have to pay, really depends on how many people there are on the evening but probably best to bring some Moola just in case.

I'm not available Sunday 27th as I have other commitments, although my gaming buddy will be there, he's on this forum, User Name Grizzle, real name Andy. If you were planning to come up on that Sunday drop him a message on here and I'm sure he'll give you a game.

Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi Lee,

I’ve DM’d you regarding details. Are we still on?
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 am

Hi Jonathan, I've replied. Sorry, had a very busy weekend and never got on the internet.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi Lee,

How are you doing buddy, there are some exciting times afoot at Mierce for the Darklands game, now would be great time to get involved, Coffa Tree is just around the corner too, and would a be a great time for you meet other players, play some games, and get a wealth of learning...

If you don't think your gonna be able to make it to either my or Jon's clubs then come up to Hammerhead Show in March and talk to Rob Lane directly at the Mierce Stand, you'll be able to see and pick up some great models, and can take part in some quick Darklands Skirmish games that will be played on the day.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:51 am

Hi Brightblade,

We went up to Bedworth for a game 2 or 3 weeks ago and had a good time. Unfortunately I haven't seen the other fella since and talk on the way home quickly turned to other subjects but I think he's planning on getting into it, too. When I do see him next I'm going to ask if he fancies a Sunday night in Rugely. Regardless of whether he does, I'll still probably make the trip myself at some point (although I can't be sure when - my weekends are getting full!).

Speaking of which, I don't know where or when Hammerhead Show is but a weekend in March will be difficult for me as I'm already spending one weekend away from home, exhibiting at Airecon.

Lee.
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:22 pm

Lee,

That's brilliant news that you went up to Bedworth, I'm sure Jon and his friends made you feel welcome, I believe that is the venue for the Coffa Tree gathering each year, this years dates are yet to be finalised.

You would be welcome up to Rugeley any time, just pre-warn us in the week of your arrival and we'll make sure there is a player for you and your friend if he comes with you, Iv'e got lots of models so you can use those on the night..

Hammerhead is this year on the Saturday 2nd March at the Newark Showground, up near Nottingham, only on for the 1 day, but Mierce have a big stand there and have a Turn Up and PLay game running all through the day.

Salute might be a better option distance wise for you, again Mierce will be represented there with a turn up and play game... Believe Salute is in the Excel Conference centre at Canary Wharf some time in April..

You can Google both events..

Airecon looks good, what are you Exhibiting?

cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:32 pm

I do some (unpaid) work for Dragon Dawn Productions, so I'm on their stand. We'll have Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift and Darwinning! for sale, as well as running demos of Dwarf, a game I designed that they're putting on Kickstarter in March.

As for the others, Newark and London are roughly equidistant from here. With it being just the weekend before Airecon though I don't think I'll be able to get away for it. My partner already grumbled about the amount of time I spent at conventions last year (I went to three and the chances are, because of my DDP commitments, I'll probably have to go to the same three again this year). I think several guys from my club go to Salute every year, though.

Return to “UK”