Distributing shot (or invoke dice) to concealed warriors.

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Icchan

Distributing shot (or invoke dice) to concealed warriors.

Postby Icchan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:32 pm

Couldn't find this in the shoot action shot distribution rules, but are shot dice distributed to warriors that were unseen/concealed by terrain from the shooting unit? Technically their evade rolls would become difficult if they can't see the attacker.
This also has the weird interaction when a bound unit contains a gigantic warrior. If the gigantic warrior is hidden behind a hill for example and the rest of the bound unit are in open and they get shot at, the shooter gets the gigantic bonus modifier.
Also I'm not quite sure why a single gigantic warrior would make everyone in the bound unit gigantic, same applies to ardent mounts and their riders. You'd think that if you try to target a small human sized target on top of an elephant, surely it wouldn't be an easier hit as some or most of the mount could be blocking the rider.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Distributing shot (or invoke dice) to concealed warriors.

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:33 am

Icchan wrote:Couldn't find this in the shoot action shot distribution rules, but are shot dice distributed to warriors that were unseen/concealed by terrain from the shooting unit? Technically their evade rolls would become difficult if they can't see the attacker.

I can't find it at a quick glance but no, shots should not be distributed to warriors that the Shooting unit cannot draw line of sight to.

Icchan wrote:This also has the weird interaction when a bound unit contains a gigantic warrior. If the gigantic warrior is hidden behind a hill for example and the rest of the bound unit are in open and they get shot at, the shooter gets the gigantic bonus modifier.

Yes they do, but shots are distributed to the Gigantic warrior first.

Icchan wrote:Also I'm not quite sure why a single gigantic warrior would make everyone in the bound unit gigantic, same applies to ardent mounts and their riders. You'd think that if you try to target a small human sized target on top of an elephant, surely it wouldn't be an easier hit as some or most of the mount could be blocking the rider.

They're aiming at the Gigantic dude but they can't help but hit the fellows around him as well.

It won't change mate, this is exactly how I want it! I've gone through a number of Shoot action iterations to get this exactly how I want it to happen. It's also the fastest method I've found to distribute shots.

Majority Target -> Easiest to Hardest.

Cheers
Rob
Icchan

Postby Icchan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:29 pm

A mix of gigantic and not-gigantic makes sense to me with a Joined unit, but not with a Bound unit when the gap between could be quite large. In some instances you can even fit a whole other unit between the bound units and they're not affected by the gigantic unit in any way!
I will conced the rider etc point if they've been playtested, I mean you would know better. It just felt weird.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:37 pm

Icchan wrote:A mix of gigantic and not-gigantic makes sense to me with a Joined unit, but not with a Bound unit when the gap between could be quite large. In some instances you can even fit a whole other unit between the bound units and they're not affected by the gigantic unit in any way!
I will conced the rider etc point if they've been playtested, I mean you would know better. It just felt weird.

A good point. Maybe I should change bind distance to 2".

Cheers
Rob
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
Icchan wrote:A mix of gigantic and not-gigantic makes sense to me with a Joined unit, but not with a Bound unit when the gap between could be quite large. In some instances you can even fit a whole other unit between the bound units and they're not affected by the gigantic unit in any way!

Cheers
Rob

Will that need adapting to specific bound and bind combinations? Such as the Flesh drune and 24" bind distance between the Flesh Drune and his Nithing's.

Otherwise goading units will be unable to keep up with a lot of their goaded friends, especially the feral ones.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:06 pm

Grizzle wrote:
Rob Lane wrote:

Cheers
Rob

Will that need adapting to specific bound and bind combinations? Such as the Flesh drune and 24" bind distance between the Flesh Drune and his Nithing's.

Otherwise goading units will be unable to keep up with a lot of their goaded friends, especially the feral ones.

No, only the standard bind distance.

Even so, there is an issue here. I'll think on it. I don't want to overload the Shoot action with more rules than it already has...

Cheers
Rob
DrNO172000

Postby DrNO172000 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:44 pm

Hmmm I wouldn't change the bind distance personally. The current bind distance actually allows you to manipulate this in your favor at distances as you can keep the Gigantic (or non-gigantic) portion of the unit out of effective range or even out of range altogether.

Also don't forget that you assign shoot dice to the easiest target until its strength is met. So if say a unit of Goad Drunes is bound to a Bone Aberrant (str 10, gigantic) and they are all in range and los, that means the first 10 actual shot dice that hit their mark must be distributed to the Bone Aberrant. So let's say 15 out of 30 volley shots hit, that means only 3 of the shots are hitting the Goad Drunes. Since the Goad Drunes are a different target they could with the correct positioning be out of effective range. Since most bows lie in the 30 to 40 range that means the Goad Drunes can evade on 5,4, or 3, depending on how far away they are. So maybe they take 1 or 2 stray arrows on the way up. So imo the current shooting rules favor the target when it comes to those kinds of bound units and I like that.

@icchan in terms of how it feels, well if it helps think in terms of no one is actually aiming at the rider of say a mount, or even really any particular part of a unit, but the area the unit is in. Even in modern warfare, where we have vastly more accurate weapons, we don't do point fire at any kind of distance, instead, you saturate an area of fire by having each weapon create a beaten zone, the larger the arms the larger the beaten zone (I was an Infantryman in the US Marine Corps for 6 years). Unless you are a sniper than you are as the rules say firing at a "distinct target" (we call this point fire in the military) based on individual threat assessment. So when not firing at distinct targets just imagine your little men are firing at an area and on occasion, a stray arrow hits the rider. Kind of like Harold Godwinson getting hit by an arrow in the eye, nobody was aiming at poor Harold's eye, just the unit he was with. So in the above example of the Goad Drunes and Bone Abbehrrant, the archers know the Goad Drunes are there and aim in the general area of the Bone Aberrant, perhaps widening the area they are saturating to try and catch them.

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”