Darklands Weekend

A place to talk about Darklands Events!
cornishlee

Darklands Weekend

Postby cornishlee » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi all,

I've organised a gaming weekend in Silverstone for the last few years. This has been on a Saturday in January and has been focused on boardgames (actually for the solo boardgame community, although of course people are playing together at the event, not sat at their own tables in silence!).

Aside from the fact that Silverstone is convenient for me, the idea behind it was that it's about halfway through the year from the other get-together (UKGE) and in the darkest time of year, when there's not much else going on. Silverstone has the advantage of being very accessible by road (not so much by public transport) and has several B&Bs and hotels which are desperate for bookings at that time of year, while the track is off-season.

So, I'm wondering whether I could, in addition, organise a Darklands weekend this winter. Like with the solo event, it would be about halfway through the year from Coffa Tree. My idea would be to arrange a space (either a pub function room or the village hall, depending on numbers) for Friday afternoon through to Sunday. This would mean that everyone could play at least one 1500 game on the Friday and on the Sunday, with the potential for bigger games or more 1500 games on the Saturday.

So, would anyone be interested in doing this sometime in December/January/February?

If enough people are then I'll cost it up. As a guide, the first event I organised here was in the rec centre hall. We had 12-14 people, from memory, and I asked for contributions of £10. A few people chose top contribute a bit more but there was enough to cover the hall hire for the day and also left me with enough to stock the kitchen.

Lee.
Brightblade

Re: Darklands Weekend

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:54 pm

This sounds good, Id be up for that, I think December and January might be headaches though, with Christmas and Post Christmas finances dictating ability to attend for the weekend, but February is a goer in my mind..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm up for it, definitely... any time is good for me really. Advance notice is all that is required!

Cheers
Rob
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm up for this too, sounds like good fun!
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Let me know I coulod look at it. I was also considering doing two events next year...
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 90/100
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Jonathan, I don't want to step on your toes. If you were already thinking about doing something like this then I'm happy to leave it to you.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:34 pm

If you want to do it its easier for me to plan around it mate :)
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 90/100
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:40 pm

ooohhh lots of juicy Darkland Events coming up, with Gotham to Samaria in October as well, we are spoilt..

I will try to organise a few Darklands Open Days next year also..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...

Return to “Darklands Events”