Flanking orders

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
cornishlee
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Flanking orders

Postby cornishlee » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:33 am

I may be imagining this, since I can't find it now, but I think I remember reading in the rulebook at some point that a command could be placed flanking if the commander and the majority of the units has the flanker ability.

Assuming that's right, a few questions:

Does the commander count towards any majority if they're joined to a unit?

Do two bound units count as one unit?

Does a 50/50 split count as majority or not?
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2524
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Flanking orders

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:55 am

cornishlee wrote:I may be imagining this, since I can't find it now, but I think I remember reading in the rulebook at some point that a command could be placed flanking if the commander and the majority of the units has the flanker ability.


That's right, see p95, under 3.6.2.3: FLANK UNITS.

cornishlee wrote:Assuming that's right, a few questions:

Does the commander count towards any majority if they're joined to a unit?


Yes, they are part of the unit.

cornishlee wrote:Do two bound units count as one unit?


Do you mean - one bound unit consisting of two units? If so, yes.

cornishlee wrote:Does a 50/50 split count as majority or not?


The player gets to choose - see p31, 2.3.1.4.1: MAJORITY EQUALS MINORITY.

Cheers
Rob
cornishlee
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Re: Flanking orders

Postby cornishlee » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:11 am

Excellent, thanks, Rob.

So, as I understand it, I'm OK to position an entire command as flanking where that command has:

Commander (flanking) joined to unit (flanking)
non-flanking unit bound to another non-flanking unit

This is just what I want to hear.

I also believe that a general can never be placed as flanking? Shame he can't trust his remaining commanders to carry out his plans in his absence.
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2524
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Flanking orders

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:24 am

cornishlee wrote:Excellent, thanks, Rob.

So, as I understand it, I'm OK to position an entire command as flanking where that command has:

Commander (flanking) joined to unit (flanking)
non-flanking unit bound to another non-flanking unit

This is just what I want to hear.


Correct.

cornishlee wrote:I also believe that a general can never be placed as flanking? Shame he can't trust his remaining commanders to carry out his plans in his absence.


That's right... stops Krull starting off the board, for example. More of a mechanic to stop abuse than anything else.

Cheers
Rob
User avatar
Brightblade
Posts: 806
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Re: Flanking orders

Postby Brightblade » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:29 pm

Question on Binding;

If two Maximum unit size warriors of the same warrior type Bind Together can they still act as one unit as they now break the Maximum size rule for that Warrior Unit Class..

So say I had 2 groups of 3 Guthwulfs, their maximum size is 3, but could they Bind together on the Battlefield to make 1 unit of 6 Gutwulfs?
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2524
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Flanking orders

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Brightblade wrote:Question on Binding;

If two Maximum unit size warriors of the same warrior type Bind Together can they still act as one unit as they now break the Maximum size rule for that Warrior Unit Class..

So say I had 2 groups of 3 Guthwulfs, their maximum size is 3, but could they Bind together on the Battlefield to make 1 unit of 6 Gutwulfs?


Yes, it's two units that are bound as one, so min/eff/max rules don't apply.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest