Units grab/soaring and involuntary leaves

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
HughB
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Units grab/soaring and involuntary leaves

Postby HughB » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Am I right in thinking that for a warrior to be able to complete the soar part of a grab soar attack attempt, they need to successfully grab something? So if a hrafnmann fails to grab something with its grab soar claw attack or if it does grab something but that something then passes its skill test then the hrafnmann can't then soar?

If this is the case can you then get a situation where some warriors within a unit do grab soar and some warriors don''t? Will this mean that the different portions of the unit are obliged to involuntarily leave one another?
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2820
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Units grab/soaring and involuntary leaves

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:14 pm

HughB wrote:Am I right in thinking that for a warrior to be able to complete the soar part of a grab soar attack attempt, they need to successfully grab something? So if a hrafnmann fails to grab something with its grab soar claw attack or if it does grab something but that something then passes its skill test then the hrafnmann can't then soar?


No, they'd still Soar. Not sure if I need to address that in the Grab and Soar action rules, though...

HughB wrote:If this is the case can you then get a situation where some warriors within a unit do grab soar and some warriors don''t? Will this mean that the different portions of the unit are obliged to involuntarily leave one another?


No...

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Units grab/soaring and involuntary leaves

Postby HughB » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:19 am

Thats a bit neater. So as long as I make the attempt to grab and soar, I can soar afterwards regardless of the success of the grab? As long as I don't get ganked by any free strikes from models whose attack range I'm leaving of course.

Which leads me on to a second question. We had a situation where a raven giant was unlucky enough to find itself in combat with a mammox and some thulean beast handlers. In an attempt to get out of dodge before being turned into KFC(KFR to be exact) the raven giant punched the woolly dude a few times then grab soared one of the handlers. As the primary weapon of the mammox is his trunk and his trunk has the mighty strike ability, we assumed that the mighty strike going off would mean the raven giant is knocked unconscious before he can soar off to safety (and so ended up being beaten to a paste shortly after being trunk punched into unconsciousness). Does this sound about right? Did we play it correctly?
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2820
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Units grab/soaring and involuntary leaves

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:31 am

HughB wrote:Thats a bit neater. So as long as I make the attempt to grab and soar, I can soar afterwards regardless of the success of the grab? As long as I don't get ganked by any free strikes from models whose attack range I'm leaving of course.


Yeah, that's about right...

HughB wrote:Which leads me on to a second question. We had a situation where a raven giant was unlucky enough to find itself in combat with a mammox and some thulean beast handlers. In an attempt to get out of dodge before being turned into KFC(KFR to be exact) the raven giant punched the woolly dude a few times then grab soared one of the handlers. As the primary weapon of the mammox is his trunk and his trunk has the mighty strike ability, we assumed that the mighty strike going off would mean the raven giant is knocked unconscious before he can soar off to safety (and so ended up being beaten to a paste shortly after being trunk punched into unconsciousness). Does this sound about right? Did we play it correctly?


Yes, totally!

Cheers
Rob
HughB
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Units grab/soaring and involuntary leaves

Postby HughB » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:44 pm

Further question to ask if I may? When a unit grabs and soars, do they need to fulfil the requirements for a grabbing unit (namely that they have to be twice the unit strength of the unit they are grab soaring) or is it the same as if they are dive grabbing a unit (where they just have to have a greater unit strength not twice the unit strength of the thing being grabbed)?

Thanks H
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
User avatar
Rob Lane
Site Admin
Posts: 2820
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: Warsop Vale, Nottinghamshire
Contact:

Re: Units grab/soaring and involuntary leaves

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:50 am

HughB wrote:Further question to ask if I may? When a unit grabs and soars, do they need to fulfil the requirements for a grabbing unit (namely that they have to be twice the unit strength of the unit they are grab soaring) or is it the same as if they are dive grabbing a unit (where they just have to have a greater unit strength not twice the unit strength of the thing being grabbed)?

Thanks H


It's twice the strength as for a normal Grab - Dive and Grab uses the Diver's momentum to be able to Grab something; when you're on the ground, grabbing something and then lifting is more difficult.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests