Penda's Golden War Trophy

For news and announcement posts from the Mierce team.
Brightblade

Penda's Golden War Trophy

Postby Brightblade » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:52 am

A very interesting read about the Staffordshire Hoard discovered in 2009, after 10 years of analysis details have been released about it's origins..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/hoard-of-golden-treasure-stumbled-upon-by-metal-detectorist-revealed-to-be-most-important-anglo-saxon-find-in-history/ar-AAJF3RH?ocid=spartandhp

Interesting for me, this was discovered in the village where I live, Hammerwich, it was dug up in a field, that lays between the old Roman Road of Watling Street, now the A5, and Barracks Lane, a known old Roman road that connected to Watling Street.

And was found about 3 fields away from my house.. :geek:

You can view the full analysis report here along with images of the Hoard itself..

https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/staffshoard_he_2017/downloads.cfm
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Penda's Golden War Trophy

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:48 am

Mate if it's not Penda's weapon hoard (or one of his son's hoards) I'll eat my hat. A fantastic find... your house could be on more!! Get digging!

Cheers
Rob
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:40 pm

A large portion of the hoard is currently on display at the Birmingham Art Museum; it's great for a look round. I went a few weeks back.

The level of detail and fine workings without the aid of modern-machine precision is pretty astounding.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Grizzle wrote:A large portion of the hoard is currently on display at the Birmingham Art Museum; it's great for a look round. I went a few weeks back.

The level of detail and fine workings without the aid of modern-machine precision is pretty astounding.

Was this befor ehte pen museum?
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Jonathon Chester wrote:
Grizzle wrote:A large portion of the hoard is currently on display at the Birmingham Art Museum; it's great for a look round. I went a few weeks back.

Was this befor ehte pen museum?

Same day! ;)

Return to “News and Announcements”