Byzantii Encounter (499) Muster - Am I doing this right?

For discussion of Byzantii hosts and their strategies and tactics
GnomesofZurich

Byzantii Encounter (499) Muster - Am I doing this right?

Postby GnomesofZurich » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:00 pm

Hello, new to Darklands and I've been pouring over the muster rules in advance of putting together my first muster. Note I put this list together under 2.02 rules, but reviewing the new 2.03 nothing has changed that effects my list, just this is being done under the 'Master' mustering because of the use of a companion.

I wanted to use demi-units and fiends alongside the more conventional Byzantii troops, so the most economical choice for a general is the Demioption. He will take a unit of Demilegionarius as his sworn unit, at this battle size the effective size is halved, so 4, but the minimize size is 5 so for now that's what he'll take. Wanting some ranged options, I add a unit of 3 Ignilegionarius bound to the Demilegionarius.

To add some heavier-hitting units, I add a Petitioned Unit of 3 Fiends, and since I like the Shield-Wall models I will give them scutums for an additional 2 points per model.

I add a Magnus Infernum as a sorcerous companion to the general, and take two invocations, Demonfire and Summon Demon.

I also want to bring a Tesserarius as a commander for a Legionarius unit, taking a unit of 16.

This gives:

General: Demioption, Authority 72, cost 41
Sworn Unit: 5 Demilegionarius w/ cmd, cost 85
Bind Unit: 3 Ignilegionarius, cost 60
Petitioned Unit: 3 Fiends w/ cmd, w/scutums, Authority 29, cost 114

Companions: Magnus Infernum, Authority 35, invocations Demonfire, Summon Demon, cost 58

Commander: Tesserarius, Authority 50, cost 12
Sworn Unit: 16 Legionarius w/ cmd, cost 128

It comes to 498 silver.

Feedback welcome! At this point I'm not concerned with whether it's a good muster, just whether it's a legal one.

Thanks!
jereme

Re: Byzantii Encounter (499) Muster - Am I doing this right?

Postby jereme » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:03 pm

The list is legal if you muster it as Infernii\Dis with your second command being an allied Byzantii\Legio II Var command. this is required to include the unit of fiends.
Sworn unit of demilegionarius should be at effective size (8) when you move above encounter size.
GnomesofZurich

Postby GnomesofZurich » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:27 pm

Why would I need to muster it as Inferni? The demoption is listed as being able to have a unit of Fiends as a petitioned option.
jereme

Postby jereme » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:31 pm

Fiends are kindred Infernii, realm Dis on their profile. The Demioption can be mustered as either Dis or Legio II Var, and his command structure only appears in the byzantii muster, so it covers both realm options. On page 3 of the muster, under commander's command, in the bottom right, you should see "If the realm is noted above the unit name, the commander must be of that realm in order to muster that unit in his command." which I believe applies here. Gamewise, there should be minimal impact to you.

Technically, there's no explanation for how to interpret a realm below the unit name, but I've assumed the above. Rob should address the question soonish.
GnomesofZurich

Postby GnomesofZurich » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:02 pm

Definitely potential for confusion here. I now see what you mean, that the Demioption has both Dis and Legio II Var as options for realm, and that is also the case for the Demilegionarius, Ignilegionarius and Magus Infernum. Thanks for the clarification.

So, to do this list I would muster it under Infernii, taking the Tesserarius as an Allied commander with a Sworn unit of Legionarius. Given that Infernii don't have any Invocations listed, I'm guessing the Magus Infernum would still use those listed for Legion II Var?
jereme

Postby jereme » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:18 pm

GnomesofZurich wrote:Given that Infernii don't have any Invocations listed, I'm guessing the Magus Infernum would still use those listed for Legion II Var?

That's how I would do it. Perhaps the Magus should have "Sorcerer [MAGUS INCANTAMENTA] (2)" for clarity.
GnomesofZurich

Postby GnomesofZurich » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:24 pm

It's Sorcerer (1), but I agree, because by a strict reading of the rules, the Magus couldn't take invocations from the Byzantii list if mustered as part of an Infernii host, there are no invocations provided for an Infernii host, and as a Sorcerer needs to take at least one invocation, so it puts one in an impossible position.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:07 pm

Pop this on the errata subforum - I'd just include "Magus Incantamenta" next to the sorcerer ability.

Cheers
Rob
jereme

Postby jereme » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:33 pm

I'll do that.

Return to “Byzantii”