2000g Norse host - New ubiquity pain

For discussion of Norse hosts and their strategies and tactics
Slinky

2000g Norse host - New ubiquity pain

Postby Slinky » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:48 am

The new ubiquity rules have thrown me into confusion...

Here's my existing army, which used to be legal and around 2000 gold:

Skipari (nutter) + Mail, Helm
3 Hrafnmenn + Leader
10 Holumenn + Leader, Banner, Herald

Gythja

Troll Jarl + Heavy armour
5 Trolls + Leader, Banner
Jotunn

Filungi (Rollo)

Visi - Banner man (Kjartan) + Mail

However, now the ubiquity limits have changed from 1 mainstay to 3 mainstay AND 2 common.

I currently only have 1 mainstay and 2 common with my list.

Also, the Jotunn has gone from 419 gold when I originally wrote the list all the way up to 641 gold, so I am going to struggle to fit it in - Any magic suggestions, please, I am struggling to see any way forward other than adding 2 more units of Holumenn, which I really don't want to do as then I will have to ditch the Jotunn that was going to be the centrepiece of the army.
Slinky

Re: 2000g Norse host - New ubiquity pain

Postby Slinky » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:02 am

Hmm, I see the Skipari also makes "Húskarlar" mainstay, but there are no "Húskarlar" in the muster.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:20 am

That's because they haven't been done yet... but they are being playtested...

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:27 am

The list was illegal anyway mate as your troll jarl doesnt have the authority to command the jotuun and trolls. I can see a way of doing it by downgrading your general to a hero version and the troll to the lord version as he makes trolls mainstay and your holumenn stay as mainstay too. You'd get free command on the trolls which helps a bit to fund this as between those two swaps you gain over 90 gold back son only need to find a little more for that to fit.
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Slinky

Postby Slinky » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:57 am

Hmm, yes, good idea, I could swap their lordliness levels around :) I will give it a go later and see what I end up with.
Slinky

Postby Slinky » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:23 pm

So, that worked! All I need is one extra troll to make 2 units of 3, and if I get the Armoured version of Vortun to command the 2nd unit, then I don't even have any duplicates :)

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Visi (nutter) + Mail, Helm
3 Hrafnmenn + Leader
10 Holumenn + FREE (Leader , Banner, Herald)

Gythja (Lightning Bolt, Battle Blinder, Unkindness)

Troll King + Heavy armour
3 Trolls + FREE(Leader, Banner)
3 Trolls + FREE(Leader)

Filungi (Rollo)
Jotunn

Visi - Banner man (Kjartan) + Mail
Tim Fisher

Postby Tim Fisher » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi bud, I have done the same. I have swapped my Troll Jarl for the Konungr and I have not looked back , the king with a great cleaver backed up by mainstay trolls hits very very hard :-). I am Mierce's resident Norse player , so if you require any advise or just want to talk tic tacs I am around

ady
Slinky

Postby Slinky » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:26 pm

Thanks, Tim, v kind of you to pop in :)

Oh, and I can use the up-coming Kickstarter to add the funds to get armoured Vortun - So it's all worked out nicely, now I just need to go through the same process for my other planned hosts ;)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:12 pm

That wasn't Tim, Adi has forgotten to log in under himself.

He is old and slap headed though so I forgive him!

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:56 pm

Lol rob he is a bit special now he is in his 11th mellenium of age
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Blue Prophet

Postby Blue Prophet » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:14 am

What you've been talking about is what I've been basically struggling with in a troll centered 2000g host. I wanted all troll all the time, so fitting in Konungr, Jarl, Gothi and my five trolls (albeit no Felltroll, but only because I wanted to try fitting in A Jotunn). With these new muster rules I must buy one more troll and have two units of 3 each. And I have no way to get that second common with official figures until I get something from Savage Hordes (haven't ordered it yet since the deadline isn't here). The Hrafn will be the most important unit to fill out that common slot at a reasonable price, of course I could just have an extra random Visi too, but that doesn't make too much sense. Or I could get bowmen too, but they are too expensive for the build I was going for. I originally wanted an Erilaz in there, but I can't afford that if I want the extra troll nobles with the new rules.

I haven't finalized who is in what command yet or if I can afford specific upgrades. But here is what I've wanted, adjusted for the new rules I think.

Troll Konungr
Jotunn
Troll Jarl
Troll unit (3)
Troll unit (3)
Troll Gothi
Visi
Holumann (10)
Hrafn (5) or another Visi

I didn't really want birdies in this build, the hrafn are only there to fill the other common slot. I guess if I had three felltrolls I could use them instead of the jotunn, but I'd prefer at least one large rare figure in whatever host I make since those are the coolest things about Darklands. They are the models that are most eye catching, so if I try gaming in a public place, they will be what passersby notice first.

I have no idea how the structure of the muster command structure affects gameplay as I haven't played the game yet or really internalized all the rules. So maybe it is better to have the Jotunn in the Visi's command and maybe the Gothi should be in the Konugr's command. I don't know how different units in a given command compliment each other yet.

Hmm I just noticed that I can save 74 gold by giving the Konugr two cleavers (which is the model I have anyway). That would allow for enough gold to get the bowmen unit instead of the hrafn in that Visi command. Does mixing ranged troops with infantry in a command matter? I've no idea yet.

I really wanted to use Rollo in my build but he is uncommon plus doesn't make any troops into mainstay so I must use just a Visi.
Slinky

Postby Slinky » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:04 am

Looks like a good list to me - The troll Gothi is a brilliant model, so good to get it into a troll-heavy list :)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Yea, that looks like a great list. A good mix of stuff, and you got the Jötunn in!

If I were you I'd go with this...

Troll Konungr - Rare
3x Trolls - Mainstay

Troll Jarl - Uncommon
3x Trolls - Mainstay

Troll Gothi - Uncommon (2)
Holumenn Bowmen - Common

Visi - Common
Holumenn - Mainstay
Jötunn - Rare

Put the Holumenn Bowmen in with the Troll Gothi, as you can give him MOVE orders and the Bowmen HOLD orders (to get the Volley Shoot).

You could easily drop the Jarl if you wanted to get a Felltroll in - the two units of Trolls can go under the Konungr.

Cheers
Blue Prophet

Postby Blue Prophet » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:07 am

I am pleased enough with this, although I am bummed that I can't play a Steersman or Skipari without having 30 human troops to fill Mainstay requirements (and Huskarlar haven't been revealed yet). I love Knutr. I think my Knutr figure is going to be standing in for Kjartan as my Visi at times. Ravener Birna is my only proper Visi option anyway. Someday I can see getting Birna on Fellhrafn.

Return to “Norse”