A list fit for a tournament!

For discussion of Ysian hosts and their strategies and tactics
Robola

A list fit for a tournament!

Postby Robola » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:37 pm

Hello,
I'm really hoping to make Sheffield slaughter in February, it will be my first games at that silver cost and with experienced players.
The below list will not win any games but it is all miniatures I have.
It will look cool.

War drune on drune horse
5 Margh drunes vet upgrade
20 ax drunes vet upgrade command group
Seer drune on karnun beast.

Reave drune battle bow
2x 10 bow drunes both with fire arrows.

Battle drune hound master
10 hounds
3 goad drunes
3 hound aberrant

Death brute giant club
5 brutes giant club
Meat hulk hammers
All with cage armour

Flesh drune
3 Nithings
1 nithing on pig bog

It's a lot of commands and I guess it will be a nightmare to play in a tournament. Not planning on winning just learning game hardcore over 3 days.
The above list leaves me about 200 silver to get invocation and artifacts. Would like to add 2 corruptor brutes to the flesh drune but wasn't sure it that was legal or if the list is anyway.
Thanks for your help.
Rob Weston-super-Mare
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: A list fit for a tournament!

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:26 am

This does look fine mate, plenty of variety, a big lad with some smaller big lads, perhaps the only thing I would question would be only one sorcerer - you need two if only for the earth dice; that's all I'd recommend really.

Pick you invocations and artefacts to suit!

Also watch out for the new update in a week or so, the Ysians have changed slightly, including flesh-drunes. Andy Parkinson who plays Ysians regularly may be able to help further!

Cheers
Rob
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:53 am

That looks like a nice balanced list. I would echo Rob Lane on the sorcerers.

If you can fit another seer drune in or even an augur drune I think that would help a lot vs offensive spells.

Another main point with the kindred is that they have a lot of feral, and thus frenzied, units. This tends to dictate your activation choices as unless it is a scout, flanker or the general, all frenzied units will have to activate first and be on attack orders. However, you can mitigate this with having goaders to restrain them, though I would take the full 5 if I were doing that as their test is on each warrior's authority added up, in this case 17 so the test is 85 with 5, which is much better odds than having less goad drunes in the unit.

I rate the corruptors quite highly, they are very versatile and very cost-effective. The filth spray is incredibly damaging Vs most infantry units, and even monstrous infantry and beasts can take a pummeling as the damage they do is largely due to corruption conditions from their spray and punches.

One interesting change for them as well, the spell 'mutate' now works on their long range throw, meaning you could potentially buff up a unit of 3 to be throwing 21 (22 with the champion) doing 2 wounds each and, of course, corruption damage.

I think from the muster chart you would need to take a death brute under the flesh drune and then the corruptors.

Regarding spells a bit more, Ysians tend to have really solid buff spells like blood sacrifice that make units hit like a truck, you can even have goad drunes on a monster or monstrous infantry like the brutes and then cast it, sacrifice a goad drune, then make your brutes do double the wounds on their hits, that makes those great clubs do 4 wounds a pop and if you get any vicious damage it will be D5 X 2 what you roll on it, which is a lot of pain.

Another good couple are blind and wrath of kernunnos. Wrath makes something frenzied if it isn't already, and if it is, allows that unit to charge and choose where it charges, as opposed to the nearest unit(s) meaning you can run up with a frenzied unit, activate an invoker later and then charge, essentially giving them double the threat range on their movement. Take your meat Hulk, can run 14" then be allowed to charge anyone of your choice another 14" (16 with the range of his hammers). No one likes having a Meat Hulk breathing down their neck.

As for blind, it's just a solid spell for simultaneously buffing and debuffing enemy warriors and monsters. Blind sighted is a nasty state to be in, making your strikes easy and enemy parries hard, and vice versa for enemies attacking you, but I will note it doesn't affect units with the 'unseeing' trait, so less useful Vs other Ysians.

Flesh drunes got a lot better recently, I'm using them a lot now myself, they now create models with wounds equal to 5 flesh expended, so a created corruptor is going to have 4 wounds over 2, doesn't sound a lot but it can really help out in some situations.

The main change is that nithings can now run out, scavenge flesh, and then run and drop it back off, before the flesh drune does his creation action which is really useful combined with the 10D10 roll for flesh that a flesh drune has at the start of a battle.

Nithings also get flesh equal to the mass of the corpse token left behind, regardless of whether they pass their skill test or not (for either 3D10 or 1D10 when failed) so if a mass 15 monster dies, a nithing would be bringing back 3D10/1D10 + 15. That's a nice tidy haul for a little nithing.

Last game I played they really kept me in the game and allowed me to hang on by creating warriors to buffer and damage the enemy warriors.

That's all I've got for now, but if I think of anything else I'll come back.
Last edited by Grizzle on Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:54 am

Also Joe Connor, who won the last GT overall with his Ysian list, gave this advice:

"Hey Andy so here's my advice for Ysians, I always like to have atleast one tankey boy in amongst all that Ysian flesh. Alix is great for cherry picking a monster or Conjuct X but he is quite expensive these days, don't forget Shadow-Master will be able to snipe Unseen enemies and be Unseen himself Black-Blood on top of that makes him pretty scary especially with some Shadow-Drunes with bows, and I always use hills to block line of sight so I get atleast one turn of not being shot to death I might might include a hound master and some dogs just for the sake of flanking and the Bone-Aberrant is tanky for the point value, sorry if this is just repeating things you already know "
Robola

Postby Robola » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:49 pm

Hey.
Thanks for the fast response. Really useful information.
I was thinking 2 wizards might be good. I used the re-roll misses on bow drunes volley shot and took down two Atlantis 60mm based infantry. Can't remember their name.
With all your advice I'll do a little tweaking and start painting!

Cheers
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:11 pm

Robola wrote:Hey.
Thanks for the fast response. Really useful information.
I was thinking 2 wizards might be good. I used the re-roll misses on bow drunes volley shot and took down two Atlantis 60mm based infantry. Can't remember their name.
With all your advice I'll do a little tweaking and start painting!

Cheers

Oh Fate's sting? Another really good spell.

And nice, can't wait to see your painted stuff
Robola

Postby Robola » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:57 am

Hello,
Hope everyone is well?
The Sheffield slaughter is just round the corner and i have a the final kindred list. I am most definitely not going to win with this but it will be fun to play.

War drune on drune margh
war-glaive
Gore pouldens
black blood coating.

20x Ax drune
Vet upgrade
free command
Blood Banner
Blood fury tune

Augar drune on Karnun beast
Mutate
Blood Sacrifice
Blades of the Horned God
391 silver

2nd command
Battle drune
Hound master

5x drune hounds
3x Goad drunes
3x Hound Aberrants
Flesh eaters brand
153 silver

3rd command
Reave drune
battle bow
splintering arrows
fire coating

20x Bow drunes
free champion
fire coating

Seer drune
Fate's sting
Bones of the Lost
228 silver

4th command
Death brute
brute cage

5x brutes
double handed clubs
brute cages
2x bound brute corruptors

meat hulk
hammers
hulk cage
544 silver

5th command
Flesh drune
3x Nithings
Joining XX
Hammers
2 heads
Scars of Uthad
183 silver
1499 silver total.

I believe that its all legal, hope so! It's a bit glass cannon.
If it's ok Rob Lane then please except this list for the tournament.

One other question, What would be good choices for the 2 terrain pieces to bring?
Thanks
Rob Gardiner

Return to “Ysians”