Unseen x inches

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Brightblade

Unseen x inches

Postby Brightblade » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:02 am

I find this rule a bit contentious, the Unseen outside (x) inches...

I know that it causes all shooting to be difficult targets, but how can they even be targeted if you are outside of x inches, as in reality you can't see them...

Secondly, when they are positioned on the Battlefield, and are outside of x inches of an enemy unit, how can the enemy unit move towards them, because again in reality they cannot see them...

I know this is difficult to replicate on a tabletop, as your opponent can see the miniatures and where they are, so naturally they are going to move their armies towards them..

Somebody will say but the invisble unit can be heard, hence you can move towards them, but as others have said, there ate battlefield sounds all around how can you hear an invisible unit in the din of the battlefield..

Perhaps the Rule needs to change, not sure of the wording, but perahps to make them Seen but under some sort of Magical Haze, like theyve been pixelated, you know they are there but you cannnot make out the details or numbers, so they would be difficult targets, but you could still see them on the Battlefield to Target, and to move towards..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Unseen x inches

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:57 am

Brightblade wrote:I find this rule a bit contentious, the Unseen outside (x) inches...

I know that it causes all shooting to be difficult targets, but how can they even be targeted if you are outside of x inches, as in reality you can't see them...

Well, lines of sight can't be drawn to unseen targets (see p98); the difficult target modifier is there for such things as sprays etc., because there may well be a situation where you can Shoot at something that is seen that catches something unseen.

During a battle, you can't target something you can't see. Not sure what the issue is here?

Brightblade wrote:Secondly, when they are positioned on the Battlefield, and are outside of x inches of an enemy unit, how can the enemy unit move towards them, because again in reality they cannot see them...

They can't. Enemies can't Move towards something they can't see.

Brightblade wrote:I know this is difficult to replicate on a tabletop, as your opponent can see the miniatures and where they are, so naturally they are going to move their armies towards them..

Somebody will say but the invisble unit can be heard, hence you can move towards them, but as others have said, there ate battlefield sounds all around how can you hear an invisible unit in the din of the battlefield..

Not really, they can't Move towards them unless there's something else nearby that can be seen.

Brightblade wrote:Perhaps the Rule needs to change, not sure of the wording, but perahps to make them Seen but under some sort of Magical Haze, like theyve been pixelated, you know they are there but you cannnot make out the details or numbers, so they would be difficult targets, but you could still see them on the Battlefield to Target, and to move towards..

It's all there in the rules...

Cheers
Rob
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:17 pm

On the subject of Blinding..

Should Automatons be subject to Blinding, they are after all simply machines with no Optic Nerves... I assume the Blind Spell works by creating interference in the Optic Nerve to Blind the individual... An Automaton would have a very different type of Optic Nerve substitute, would a Blinding Spell be that versatile that it would know the difference..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:22 pm

Brightblade wrote:On the subject of Blinding..

Should Automatons be subject to Blinding, they are after all simply machines with no Optic Nerves... I assume the Blind Spell works by creating interference in the Optic Nerve to Blind the individual... An Automaton would have a very different type of Optic Nerve substitute, would a Blinding Spell be that versatile that it would know the difference..

Yes they should, they still use some kind of device to see. They don't have the Unseeing trait.

Cheers
Rob
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:47 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
Brightblade wrote:On the subject of Blinding..

Yes they should, they still use some kind of device to see. They don't have the Unseeing trait.

Cheers
Rob

So what are the exact specifics of how the Blind Invoke works, how exactly does it Blind something, it's all about the details Rob... ;)

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:34 pm

It's in the sight section. Section 3.7. Read it thoroughly.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”