Scouting and Unseen or Unseen (x) units

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Brightblade

Scouting and Unseen or Unseen (x) units

Postby Brightblade » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:46 pm

What are the rules surrounding bringing on units on Scout orders onto the battlefield and attacking Unseen enemy units, or Unseen (x) enemy units..

Example..

Enemy has a Wiglaca, due to the Wiglaca's trait they are unseen outside 6 inches..

Savrakontar unit on Scout orders is bought onto the battlefield, 15" away from the Wiglaca, they run twice their pace, 10 inches, in the direction of the Wiglaca, they are now within 6 inches, and due to their impetus weapons, that are now within shooting range.

Is there anything in the rules that would prevent me from performing this action with my Savrakontars and shooting the Wiglaca?

Could equally apply to other Unseen or Unseen(x) units, just used the Wiglaca as I know it...
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Scouting and Unseen or Unseen (x) units

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Nope, no rules against that at all.

Cheers
Rob
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:35 pm

Rob Lane wrote:Nope, no rules against that at all.

Cheers
Rob

I know i'm doing myself out of something now... But do you not think that there should be an element of chance involved that your Scouting unit or indeed any unit on the battlefield would run in the direction of an unseen unit to see them?

In reality if you couldn't see something it would only be by chance that you run into it..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Brightblade wrote:I know i'm doing myself out of something now... But do you not think that there should be an element of chance involved that your Scouting unit or indeed any unit on the battlefield would run in the direction of an unseen unit to see them?

In reality if you couldn't see something it would only be by chance that you run into it..

You generally know where something is (through sound, perhaps, but more likely invocations zapping away from the general area); the Jute sorcerer would be surrounded by darklight, which is a form of unlight and so easily spotted as it blurs everything. Think of it like smoke.

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:37 pm

Brightblade wrote:

Cheers
Rob

I know i'm doing myself out of something now... But do you not think that there should be an element of chance involved that your Scouting unit or indeed any unit on the battlefield would run in the direction of an unseen unit to see them?

Just cause you cant see something when you start moving doesn't mean you won't when you walk into it...
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Jonathon Chester wrote:
Brightblade wrote:

Cheers
Rob

Just cause you cant see something when you start moving doesn't mean you won't when you walk into it...

Only if you walk in the right direction...

Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:50 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
Brightblade wrote:I know i'm doing myself out of something now... But do you not think that there should be an element of chance involved that your Scouting unit or indeed any unit on the battlefield would run in the direction of an unseen unit to see them?

You generally know where something is (through sound, perhaps, but more likely invocations zapping away from the general area); the Jute sorcerer would be surrounded by darklight, which is a form of unlight and so easily spotted as it blurs everything. Think of it like smoke.

Cheers
Rob

If that's the case then why can't Ranged units outside of the x inches shoot into that area albeit with heavy modifiers?

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:46 am

Brightblade wrote:If that's the case then why can't Ranged units outside of the x inches shoot into that area albeit with heavy modifiers?

Because they're too far away. Is this a trick question?

Cheers
Rob
Icchan

Postby Icchan » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:49 am

Brightblade wrote:If that's the case then why can't Ranged units outside of the x inches shoot into that area albeit with heavy modifiers?

There's already a rule for that, it's called "difficultly seen".
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:37 pm

Rob Lane wrote:

Because they're too far away. Is this a trick question?

Cheers
Rob

If they are within Range of their Ranged weapon, then based on your earlier post, that although the unseen unit cannot be seen clearly there is some kind of mist/smoke/darklight/invocations zapping off...whatever around them so you know they are in that area you just don't know exactly where, then why can't you shoot into that area albeit with heavy modifiers..

Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:03 pm

Brightblade wrote:If they are within Range of their Ranged weapon, then based on your earlier post, that although the unseen unit cannot be seen clearly there is some kind of mist/smoke/darklight/invocations zapping off...whatever around them so you know they are in that area you just don't know exactly where, then why can't you shoot into that area albeit with heavy modifiers..

Because the game only allows you to Shoot at a Target you can see, and I'm not going to change that to a Target you can't see but can hear.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”