Newbie muster questions

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
OminousTurkey

Newbie muster questions

Postby OminousTurkey » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been collecting Mierce miniatures for a while but not played Darklands. I'm planning to get the rulebook via the Kickstarter, and one or two starter hosts to round out what I have (likely Byzantii and Eirann). Problem is what I have was not bought with mustering in mind - I have various Byzantii, Eirann, and Jutes. As I understand from the Muster book the General must take a sworn unit, which is restricted to certain types - so I have a couple of questions based on models I have - basically in each case, does what I have allow me to take the General or do I need new units?
- Jutes: Licwaca on Manasceancan - apart from him I also have a Dreaguth Thane, unit of Dreaguth and unit of Gast. Can the Licwaca be taken as a separate command if not the General or would he still need a Sworn Unit?
- Eirann: a Bog Beast, Beast of Danu, Fir Bholg hurlers, Drui. Can the Drui work as a commander with these? And is the Beast of Danu an Ancient Fen Beast for muster purposes?
- Byzantii - I have Erebius on Behema, Dromedus and Dromedon, and planning to get the Auxillia starter host. As with the Licwaca above, can Erebius be taken as a separate command?
I also wanted to check what Bind units are on the muster tables - as I don't have the rulebook yet.
Sorry for the questions, want to make sure I get the right stuff to play!
Cheers
William
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Newbie muster questions

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:20 pm

OminousTurkey wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been collecting Mierce miniatures for a while but not played Darklands. I'm planning to get the rulebook via the Kickstarter, and one or two starter hosts to round out what I have (likely Byzantii and Eirann). Problem is what I have was not bought with mustering in mind - I have various Byzantii, Eirann, and Jutes. As I understand from the Muster book the General must take a sworn unit, which is restricted to certain types - so I have a couple of questions based on models I have - basically in each case, does what I have allow me to take the General or do I need new units?

Welcome to the party! I will endeavour to help...

OminousTurkey wrote:- Jutes: Licwaca on Manasceancan - apart from him I also have a Dreaguth Thane, unit of Dreaguth and unit of Gast. Can the Licwaca be taken as a separate command if not the General or would he still need a Sworn Unit?

He doesn't have to have a command at all, he can just be the general on his own! The Dreaguth Thain would have to step up; he'd have to have the Dreaguth and the Gast in his command.

OminousTurkey wrote:- Eirann: a Bog Beast, Beast of Danu, Fir Bholg hurlers, Drui. Can the Drui work as a commander with these? And is the Beast of Danu an Ancient Fen Beast for muster purposes?

I'm afraid not, the Drui needs Fiannagh as his sworn unit (coming next year). You could use Sleanagh as proxies for them at a pinch though! Once he's got the Fiannagh, he can have the Bog Beasts for sure and the Beast of Danu as a companion warchief, and the Fir Bholg Hurlers can be attached to the Fiannagh as a Bound unit.

OminousTurkey wrote:- Byzantii - I have Erebius on Behema, Dromedus and Dromedon, and planning to get the Auxillia starter host. As with the Licwaca above, can Erebius be taken as a separate command?

Yes he can, and if you get the auxilia starter host you'd have a commander in there for the auxilia, dromedii and dromedon.

OminousTurkey wrote:I also wanted to check what Bind units are on the muster tables - as I don't have the rulebook yet.

They're all in the muster sheets - the small white boxes under the units!

OminousTurkey wrote:Sorry for the questions, want to make sure I get the right stuff to play!
Cheers
William

It's no problem, William - it's my pleasure to answer.

Cheers
Rob
OminousTurkey

Postby OminousTurkey » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:44 pm

Thanks very much Rob, that's really helpful! Nice to know I have the basis for some viable hosts!
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:55 pm

No worries! You certainly do ;o)

Cheers
Rob
OminousTurkey

Postby OminousTurkey » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:16 pm

Hi, as a follow-up to this, a question on the Erainn - is there a way to take Bog Beasts and Peat Beasts without a Drui (and the Fiannagh)? Also, should I be paying attention to Ubiquity when planning a host? I saw elsewhere on older posts people discussing 'mainstay' and needing a certain number of specific units - is this still the case in second edition?

Thanks!
William
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:46 pm

OminousTurkey wrote:Hi, as a follow-up to this, a question on the Erainn - is there a way to take Bog Beasts and Peat Beasts without a Drui (and the Fiannagh)?

I'm afraid not; you need a drui as they are "created" by her before the battle, basically. They're not lurking in bogs or peat ;o)

You could have the mordrui on a root beast, which gives fen beasts as her sworn unit, and then take a bog beast / peat beast.

OminousTurkey wrote:Also, should I be paying attention to Ubiquity when planning a host? I saw elsewhere on older posts people discussing 'mainstay' and needing a certain number of specific units - is this still the case in second edition?

Thanks!
William

No, ignore ubiquity (except for unique) - the other ubiquities are not used now. The current muster rules should tell you all you need to know ;o)

Cheers
Rob
OminousTurkey

Postby OminousTurkey » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:30 pm

Ah ok, got it, thanks!!
William

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”