Earthing with Artefacts

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
cwesterman13

Earthing with Artefacts

Postby cwesterman13 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:24 am

If a noble has 2 different artefacts which grant earth range and earth dice; do they combine by adding values together, or as 2 seperate instances of being able to earth?

eg if a character has one artefact that grants d10 earth dice at 4d10"; and one that grants d5 at 3d10"; do they get d10+d5 earth dice at 7d10" (or at 4d10"); or d5 that can be used in 3d10, and d10 that can be used in 4d10? and if its the latter case, (and using average results as an example - having 3 at 15* and 5 at 20"); could that noble use 8 dice at 15" in a single reaction?

EDIT: additionally; if a character with innate earthing ability takes one or more of these artefacts; does the same logic apply?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Earthing with Artefacts

Postby Rob Lane » Fri May 20, 2022 10:04 am

cwesterman13 wrote:If a noble has 2 different artefacts which grant earth range and earth dice; do they combine by adding values together, or as 2 seperate instances of being able to earth?

Unless stated otherwise, two separate instances.

cwesterman13 wrote:eg if a character has one artefact that grants d10 earth dice at 4d10"; and one that grants d5 at 3d10"; do they get d10+d5 earth dice at 7d10" (or at 4d10"); or d5 that can be used in 3d10, and d10 that can be used in 4d10? and if its the latter case, (and using average results as an example - having 3 at 15* and 5 at 20"); could that noble use 8 dice at 15" in a single reaction?

You'd do two earth reactions (or actions) with each separate earth dice.

cwesterman13 wrote:EDIT: additionally; if a character with innate earthing ability takes one or more of these artefacts; does the same logic apply?

No, the logic is, you can Earth as many times as you have earthing equipment and natural ability, basically. I've just had a quick look in the reactions and it doesn't really make things clear, so I'll address it properly here. These artefacts will always bring out these kinds of questions, so please keep them coming!

Cheers
Rob
cwesterman13

Postby cwesterman13 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:52 am

Rob Lane wrote:
cwesterman13 wrote:If a noble has 2 different artefacts which grant earth range and earth dice; do they combine by adding values together, or as 2 seperate instances of being able to earth?

Unless stated otherwise, two separate instances.

cwesterman13 wrote:eg if a character has one artefact that grants d10 earth dice at 4d10"; and one that grants d5 at 3d10"; do they get d10+d5 earth dice at 7d10" (or at 4d10"); or d5 that can be used in 3d10, and d10 that can be used in 4d10? and if its the latter case, (and using average results as an example - having 3 at 15* and 5 at 20"); could that noble use 8 dice at 15" in a single reaction?

You'd do two earth reactions (or actions) with each separate earth dice.

cwesterman13 wrote:EDIT: additionally; if a character with innate earthing ability takes one or more of these artefacts; does the same logic apply?

No, the logic is, you can Earth as many times as you have earthing equipment and natural ability, basically. I've just had a quick look in the reactions and it doesn't really make things clear, so I'll address it properly here. These artefacts will always bring out these kinds of questions, so please keep them coming!

Cheers
Rob

Ok, two seperate instances makes sense - In which case, if one of those artefacts gives you an ability (or alteration to earth rules) pertaining to earth dice, is it only usable with the earth dice from that artefact? I'm specifically thinking of a playtest artefact with "Powerful Earther"; which I imagine you'd prefer me not to spell out on open forum?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sat May 21, 2022 8:23 am

cwesterman13 wrote:Ok, two seperate instances makes sense - In which case, if one of those artefacts gives you an ability (or alteration to earth rules) pertaining to earth dice, is it only usable with the earth dice from that artefact? I'm specifically thinking of a playtest artefact with "Powerful Earther"; which I imagine you'd prefer me not to spell out on open forum?

They'll be public soon, so no need - but anyway: there is no qualification either way on that item, so it's defaulted to yes, it can be used with other earthing; but I will qualify it better and decide whether or not I should allow that...

Ok, so I've changed it to this:

Earth Ring
Earther: the wearer gains D5 earth dice and an earth range of 3D10” (for the Earth Ring only), the rolls for which are performed during the battle rolls step of the Joining Battle Sequence.
Powerful Earthing: the wearer of the Earth Ring may swap fated invoke dice for earth dice, but only with the earth dice provided by the Earth Ring. This may cause fumbles if there are no fated invoke dice and there are fumbled invoke dice.
Rules: Add or Replace

Keep up the good work Charles! We need questioning like this!

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”