Host's Staff

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
cwesterman13

Host's Staff

Postby cwesterman13 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:59 am

This may be a stupid question, but (and i've read the muster rules and not seen anything to suggest as much) is there any reason a host couldn't muster a Host's Champion/Host's Banner Bearer/Host's Herald as the Commander of an Allied Contingent?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Host's Staff

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:54 am

cwesterman13 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but (and i've read the muster rules and not seen anything to suggest as much) is there any reason a host couldn't muster a Host's Champion/Host's Banner Bearer/Host's Herald as the Commander of an Allied Contingent?

Only the commanders listed on the muster chart can actually be commanders - most host champions can be commanders, but no host banner bearers or host heralds can be.

Thus, as you can only select allied commanders from those available on their muster charts, you could have host champions as commanders (for most kindreds), but not host banner bearers or host heralds.

Cheers
Rob
cwesterman13

Postby cwesterman13 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:48 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
cwesterman13 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but (and i've read the muster rules and not seen anything to suggest as much) is there any reason a host couldn't muster a Host's Champion/Host's Banner Bearer/Host's Herald as the Commander of an Allied Contingent?

Only the commanders listed on the muster chart can actually be commanders - most host champions can be commanders, but no host banner bearers or host heralds can be.

Thus, as you can only select allied commanders from those available on their muster charts, you could have host champions as commanders (for most kindreds), but not host banner bearers or host heralds.

Cheers
Rob

At least in the case of Anglecynn and Brythoniaid, where Banner/Herald are upgrades to standard nobles, its fine though?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:11 am

cwesterman13 wrote:At least in the case of Anglecynn and Brythoniaid, where Banner/Herald are upgrades to standard nobles, its fine though?

Ah, I see what you mean, yes; if you take the host banner / host herald option for a commander, that's fine.

Cheers
Rob
jereme

Postby jereme » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:51 pm

So "General Hornblower" could be a thing?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:00 am

jereme wrote:So "General Hornblower" could be a thing?

Hmmm not sure if he can be the general - I don't think any host warriors can be. I'll have a think about that.

Cheers
Rob
jereme

Postby jereme » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:31 pm

Rob Lane wrote:Hmmm not sure if he can be the general - I don't think any host warriors can be. I'll have a think about that.

Using Brythoniaid as an example, Uchelwr could be the general. They can take the options to be the Host Banner Bearer or Host Herald (unless I'm missing something). My belief is that the commanders and general should not have a "host" role: champion, banner bearer, herald, paymaster. Section 2.4.1.1 of the rulebook doesn't expressly prohibit a host warrior from a command role.
cwesterman13

Postby cwesterman13 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:53 pm

jereme wrote:
Rob Lane wrote:Hmmm not sure if he can be the general - I don't think any host warriors can be. I'll have a think about that.

Using Brythoniaid as an example, Uchelwr could be the general. They can take the options to be the Host Banner Bearer or Host Herald (unless I'm missing something). My belief is that the commanders and general should not have a "host" role: champion, banner bearer, herald, paymaster. Section 2.4.1.1 of the rulebook doesn't expressly prohibit a host warrior from a command role.

In fact the rules explicitly suggest using the General as the host's paymaster
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:04 am

Okay, I'll put it another way: I will make sure no host banner bearers nor host heralds can be the mustered general, if that rule isn't already in place. The host's paymaster is slightly different; being in charge of the treasury, the sell-swords would easily look to him to be the general.

Cheers
Rob
cwesterman13

Postby cwesterman13 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:03 am

Rob Lane wrote:Okay, I'll put it another way: I will make sure no host banner bearers nor host heralds can be the mustered general, if that rule isn't already in place. The host's paymaster is slightly different; being in charge of the treasury, the sell-swords would easily look to him to be the general.

Cheers
Rob

Sounds like a solid idea - addendum to the upgrade text?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:30 am

cwesterman13 wrote:Sounds like a solid idea - addendum to the upgrade text?

It will be in the next iteration of the muster rules I should think!

Cheers
Rob
Kragnorak

Postby Kragnorak » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:29 am

Interesting; potential for an all Miercenary army one day? Back in the day, my sister had a Dogs of War army for WFB and it was easily one of the most interesting at the time
jereme

Postby jereme » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:50 am

Kragnorak wrote:Interesting; potential for an all Miercenary army one day? Back in the day, my sister had a Dogs of War army for WFB and it was easily one of the most interesting at the time

Check out the Sell-Swords muster: http://www.mierce-miniatures.com/darkla ... _v2.01.pdf. Golgog and Alix of Carn Bran are your wildcard leaders, bringing monstrous infantry or beasts from any realm. other leaders bring units from their home realm, plus the usual mercenary rabble.
Kragnorak

Postby Kragnorak » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:40 am

jereme wrote:
Kragnorak wrote:Interesting; potential for an all Miercenary army one day? Back in the day, my sister had a Dogs of War army for WFB and it was easily one of the most interesting at the time

Check out the Sell-Swords muster: http://www.mierce-miniatures.com/darkla ... _v2.01.pdf. Golgog and Alix of Carn Bran are your wildcard leaders, bringing monstrous infantry or beasts from any realm. other leaders bring units from their home realm, plus the usual mercenary rabble.

Nice, thanks!

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”