Breakthrough Reaction

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Bryan

Breakthrough Reaction

Postby Bryan » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:00 pm

Is it true that the only units that can perform a Breakthrough reaction are Feral and Frenzied units?

Section 6.20.9.6.1 states “…it also becomes a Triumphant unit and may be able to perform a Breakthrough reaction or linked Reform action after all of their Attack actions are resolved. “ Following these rules, the Attack action is resolved so I assume the unit enters the Weary state.

Looking at Section 7.62.1.2 (Breakthrough Reactions Exceptions), it looks like a unit in a Weary state cannot perform a voluntary Breakthrough reaction, so that just leaves Feral and Frenzied units that are allowed to perform a Breakthrough reaction as a compulsory action because they "must".

After searching the forum it appears that non-Feral/Frenzied units can perform the Breakthrough reaction, but how can they do that if their Vigor state goes to Weary after the Attack action is resolved?

I feel like I am missing something.
-Bryan
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Breakthrough Reaction

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:01 pm

Bryan wrote:Is it true that the only units that can perform a Breakthrough reaction are Feral and Frenzied units?

Section 6.20.9.6.1 states “…it also becomes a Triumphant unit and may be able to perform a Breakthrough reaction or linked Reform action after all of their Attack actions are resolved. “ Following these rules, the Attack action is resolved so I assume the unit enters the Weary state.

Looking at Section 7.62.1.2 (Breakthrough Reactions Exceptions), it looks like a unit in a Weary state cannot perform a voluntary Breakthrough reaction, so that just leaves Feral and Frenzied units that are allowed to perform a Breakthrough reaction as a compulsory action because they "must".

After searching the forum it appears that non-Feral/Frenzied units can perform the Breakthrough reaction, but how can they do that if their Vigor state goes to Weary after the Attack action is resolved?

I feel like I am missing something.
-Bryan

You're not missing anything - you've found a bug in the code! The Breakthrough exceptions should not mention weary at all. I'll errata that.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”