Thoughts on muster rule 1.1.7.1.1

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
jereme

Thoughts on muster rule 1.1.7.1.1

Postby jereme » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:22 pm

I think muster rule 1.1.7.1.1 needs to be rethought/reworded based on some models in the range and "the rule of cool". My examples are the Troll konungr with trophy rack and savrarch on war tower.

With the 2.x muster rules, troll konungr with trophy rack can't be used because you can only ever field a single troll konungr (in a jotunnheimr host) since he has the highest authority in his realm and can't be both general and host banner bearer. He also can't serve as host banner bearer in a skiffling force. easy fix would be to add a -1 AUTHORITY to the trophy rack option. That might be worth considering elsewhere to get around the "general's authority must be higher than everyone else's" rule.

In Kthones, I could muster a savrarch as my general, upgrade with a Khelon War Tower, which I could then upgrade with Ikon Bearer or doom drums, making that thing general and either host banner bearer or host herald.

Would you consider changing 1.1.7.1.1 to read:
Only one host champion, host banner bearer, host herald and host paymaster may be mustered in a host, and they must be of the host's realm and mustered as Companions in the appropriate role. Additional nobles or units with a host warrior ability mustered outside of the Companions ignore the 'host' part of the ability (e.g. a "host banner bearer" would be treated as a "banner bearer"). The host's general may also serve as a host warrior, but "block" that Companion option (troll konungr general with trophy rack can count as the host banner bearer as well, but there cannot be another host banner bearer). A noble cannot be more than one host warrior; he could not be a host banner bearer and a host herald, for example.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on muster rule 1.1.7.1.1

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:13 am

jereme wrote:I think muster rule 1.1.7.1.1 needs to be rethought/reworded based on some models in the range and "the rule of cool". My examples are the Troll konungr with trophy rack and savrarch on war tower.

With the 2.x muster rules, troll konungr with trophy rack can't be used because you can only ever field a single troll konungr (in a jotunnheimr host) since he has the highest authority in his realm and can't be both general and host banner bearer. He also can't serve as host banner bearer in a skiffling force. easy fix would be to add a -1 AUTHORITY to the trophy rack option. That might be worth considering elsewhere to get around the "general's authority must be higher than everyone else's" rule.

Yeah, a good spot! You can use more than one troll konungr in a Skilfing host, please note.

Regardless of that, the point here is that, as you say, a general can't be the hbb, so he can't use the trophy rack, so you're right - it can never be used, at least not in a Jötunheimr host.

jereme wrote:In Kthones, I could muster a savrarch as my general, upgrade with a Khelon War Tower, which I could then upgrade with Ikon Bearer or doom drums, making that thing general and either host banner bearer or host herald.

That's not quite the same, as the war tower is the hbb or the doom drummer is the hbb; the general is just a part of the engine warrior. He's not the hbb, if you know what I mean.

jereme wrote:Would you consider changing it to read:
Only one host champion, host banner bearer, host herald and host paymaster may be mustered in a host, and they must be of the host's realm and mustered as Companions in the appropriate role. Additional nobles or units with a host warrior ability mustered outside of the Companions ignore the 'host' part of the ability (e.g. a "host banner bearer" would be treated as a "banner bearer"). The host's general may also serve as a host warrior, but "block" that Companion option (troll konungr general with trophy rack can count as the host banner bearer as well, but there cannot be another host banner bearer). A noble cannot be more than one host warrior; he could not be a host banner bearer and a host herald, for example.

That also takes care of my dewindraig question, and lets models with host abilities be mustered in realm and allied commands without breaking anything.

I'm not quite sure with the dewindraig question is an issue? Is it more of a technical thing?

I've had a think and what I'll do is a quick "even if he is the general" to the troll jarl etc., as well as any thing that can take a trophy rack. Otherwise it just doesn't work.

Cheers
Rob
jereme

Re: Thoughts on muster rule 1.1.7.1.1

Postby jereme » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:14 pm

Super! Thanks!

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”