Q: limit to number of roars

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
jereme

Q: limit to number of roars

Postby jereme » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:01 am

The Roar action is mentioned in the Multiple Command Actions section of 4.2.3.2.4 as "can only be performed once per activation, such as the Roar action;". However, 6.65 doesn't include any mention of limits to this effortless action. I would expect to see "effortless action (1)" like Shriek. Which is correct?
wildbill

Re: Q: limit to number of roars

Postby wildbill » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:17 pm

I've always played it that you can only be effected by ROAR, but each unit can Roar as a free effortless action before it acts. I always imagine it as a Highland charge, every nutter with a weapon roaring like a banshee to scare the attacked enemy before engagement. Not 100% sure if that's correct, but have been told otherwise.. :)
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:24 pm

Roar is actually an effortless action, not a command action, so it's completely wrong ;o)

Will fix!

Cheers
Rob
jereme

Postby jereme » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:00 pm

IV.II.V Action Sequence provides 3 times where effortless actions may be performed, and 4.2.3.2.5 Effortless Actions expands on that.

However, I'm still unclear if the following is legal: A non-frenzied roarer unit activates. The unit has no compulsory actions, so roars in step 2 of the action sequence. They then walk as their voluntary action in step 3, roar as an effortless action in step 4, have no linked actions in step 5, and roar as an effortless action a third time in step 6.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:19 am

jereme wrote:IV.II.V Action Sequence provides 3 times where effortless actions may be performed, and 4.2.3.2.5 Effortless Actions expands on that.

However, I'm still unclear if the following is legal: A non-frenzied roarer unit activates. The unit has no compulsory actions, so roars in step 2 of the action sequence. They then walk as their voluntary action in step 3, roar as an effortless action in step 4, have no linked actions in step 5, and roar as an effortless action a third time in step 6.

Not quite; see p150, the IV.II.V Action Sequence scroll. The last one can only be done if there's a voluntary linked action. (The middle one can only be done if there's a voluntary action or voluntary reaction). He'd definitely have a sore throat after the second roar though!

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”