Idea for Chariot War Engines

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Crazyguy501

Idea for Chariot War Engines

Postby Crazyguy501 » Fri May 26, 2023 12:15 pm

Hey Rob!

Had a little think about upcoming and future chariot war engines. Thematically they were designed (to my understanding) to smash and cut through enemy lines to cause confusion and disarray, whilst causing some damage too. So the rules slightly reflect this in that the chariots and crew have impact strikes etc, but I have a couple of ideas maybe to make them slightly more unique to other war engines?

1. Having looked through the main kindreds with them (Erainn, Formoriac and Vras) most of them have mass 8 now which is great for move through impact strikes etc (moving through up to 60mm bases), would it be more prudent to maybe make reflex strikes from the moved through unit harder due to the disarray the chariot causes ploughing through them?

2. So a lot of nobles in these kindreds have options to take chariot mounts, I think an idea should be if they take a weapon option that does not have impact strike/m+w+ch it should be harder for them to hit a unit they plough through?

3. I think it could be interesting when a chariot ploughs through a unit they’ve moved through, it should maybe cause confusion to the unit that’s been ploughed through
(Edit I read up on this, and this happens regardless as result of 3.8.5.2). So a slight different one is maybe that it causes an additional impact strike die maybe +d5 impact strike die? Which has to be the chariot war engines body frame weapons (yoked wheels etc)

4. On the flip side a unit that is subject to being moved through that has the hedge quality or shieldwall ability should be able to maybe reflex attack as normal to a chariot moving through them and not suffer confusion?

Hope these suggestions aren’t too out there, just thought it would be cool if they had slightly different mechanics to war towers and other engines. Kind of like the idea of them smashing through enemy lines as a tactic rather than engaging a unit being held up and stuck there. There should definitely be cons to doing it though, and that’s normally the reflex attacks of course. Maybe chariot entities can get entangled in a unit whose mass is exactly half of the chariot mass? (I.e mass 8 chariot going through a mass 4 monstrous infantry unit) based on the skill test of the riders/noble manning the chariot through the unit? Represents them getting churned down into units and losing momentum?

Cheers!

Jim

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”