Mustering and Realms

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
Loki77515

Mustering and Realms

Postby Loki77515 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:38 pm

This is mostly a question for the developers, unless someone else has heard the answers somewhere else before.

I noticed in the rules it talks about not being able to make an army list (or muster, if you will) unless everyone in your list is either an ally of your specific Realm and/or Kindred. However, some factions, like Angelcynn, have Realms within them that will not ally with each other (well, the rules say so with Northumbraland, but we don't have any models for that yet).

It kinda puts me off that I could potentially buy up a faction and then have models in a faction that will not work with each other. I am interested in Brythoniad and noticed that they can ally with everyone in their kindread (so, all Brythoniaid realms, yes?). How likely is this to change in the future?

Also, how many models within a faction like Angelcynn wouldn't be able to work with each other? Like, how widespread would it be?

EDIT: And just as an aside, I noticed that Albainn only has Brythoniaid as allies. Is there only one Realm in Albainn, or are the muster rules also supposed to say that an Albainn can ally with any other Albainn realm?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Mustering and Realms

Postby Rob Lane » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:30 am

Loki77515 wrote:This is mostly a question for the developers, unless someone else has heard the answers somewhere else before.

I noticed in the rules it talks about not being able to make an army list (or muster, if you will) unless everyone in your list is either an ally of your specific Realm and/or Kindred. However, some factions, like Angelcynn, have Realms within them that will not ally with each other (well, the rules say so with Northumbraland, but we don't have any models for that yet).

It kinda puts me off that I could potentially buy up a faction and then have models in a faction that will not work with each other. I am interested in Brythoniad and noticed that they can ally with everyone in their kindread (so, all Brythoniaid realms, yes?). How likely is this to change in the future?

To be honest I'm not really sure what you're asking; the muster rules (4.7.2 - Mustering Allies) tell you exactly who can and cannot ally with each other, but I have a feeling you've not quite understood how we've released miniatures - because everything we've released has a kindred and also a realm, as shown on the warrior profiles. Their allegiance won't change!

Loki77515 wrote:Also, how many models within a faction like Angelcynn wouldn't be able to work with each other? Like, how widespread would it be?

The Angelcynn released so far are for the Mierce realm. Any releases for other Angelcynn realms will be noted as such; for example, Broga from the First Edition project will be released as a Eoforas (East Anglian).

What I'm saying here is that what you have purchased already is not going to change allegiance to another realm.

Loki77515 wrote:EDIT: And just as an aside, I noticed that Albainn only has Brythoniaid as allies. Is there only one Realm in Albainn, or are the muster rules also supposed to say that an Albainn can ally with any other Albainn realm?

There are many other realms within the Albainn, but they're dominated by Fortriu so it would be very unlikely that Albainn realms cannot ally with other Albainn realms - if, indeed, we ever release miniatures for those realms.

You've got to understand here that just because certain kindreds can have lots of realms doesn't mean we'll do them all, and nor does it mean that the individual warriors of those realms would be any different. For example, a Fortriu warrior is pretty much the same as a Cait warrior.

What it does do, of course, in time-honoured GW tradition, is give you different colour schemes and heraldry. To an extent...

Not sure I've answered your question there but I hope that you understand what I'm saying.
Loki77515

Postby Loki77515 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:10 pm

because everything we've released has a kindred and also a realm, as shown on the warrior profiles. Their allegiance won't change!

Okay, so all Brythoniaid miniatatures will be able to ally with all other Brythoniaid miniature in the future. That's good.

The confusion came from this sentence in the Muster rules:

The various kindreds of Darklands comprise one or more realms that may or may not work together for the good of their kindred. For example, the Angelcynn kindred is a tribal grouping of Angles from many realms, of which Mierce is but one; but few other Angelcynn realms wish to ally with the Miercna and some are even their enemies, especially the Christian Angles of Northumbraland. Thus, the Angelcynn may be kin, but religion and history combine to ensure they become enemies.

So, does that mean that you will release an Angelcynn realm called Northumbraland in the future which will not ally itself with Mierce? If so, then that is what I was talking about when I said it put me off that I could potentially collect all the minis for a "faction" (kindred) and then not be able to run them together in a list (host).

There are many other realms within the Albainn, but they're dominated by Fortriu so it would be very unlikely that Albainn realms cannot ally with other Albainn realms - if, indeed, we ever release miniatures for those realms.

What I meant was, are the rules for the Albainn muster supposed to read like A or B:

A: Albainn - Any Brythoniaid realm

B: Albainn - Any Albainn realm, any Brythoniad realm.

B seems like the most logical choice if there are going to be more than one realm in the Albainn kindred.
Tim_09

Postby Tim_09 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:49 am

Nice post!

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”