Moving, parry and sight arcs

A place to read and talk about our official updates, errata and addenda for Darklands. Please post all rules queries here!
deadlydeceiver

Moving, parry and sight arcs

Postby deadlydeceiver » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:27 am

During my recent gaming sessions we encounterd several questions concerning sight arcs.
With the imminent First Edition release this might be superfluos, but maybe it'll be helpfull as well:

1. Following situation: An attacker has two enemies in front of him, both looking his way. The attacker charges the enemy that's further away, thereby passes close by the other enemy and ends his charge move in engagement distance of the passed enemy. Due to passing so close the attacker is now in the blind arc of the passed enemy and can possibly do some serious damage. Is this allowed?

2. As a the armour+ of a shield isn't added against attacks in the blind arc, does that also mean that it isn't "used", thus not confering "Parry"?

3. While the Gorgons net snare is in effect, the Gorgon may not "use the Net Combat weapon". Does that also remove the additional parry-modifier for the time being?

4. Is a units sight arc determined by all of it's models? So basically by placing them in a funny circle I get a 360° sight arc?

5. During run and walk movements a model may freely change directions as many times as it wishes. This is not regulated by any kind of arcs. So I as far as I understand, I can turn 180° run "backwards" and then turn to face the front again. If that's possible, I don't understand the whole "move backwards" section and why the paragraph is called "move forwards" :lol:

I hope I could bring my points across. Didn't write English in a while ;)

Best DD
Come visit my blog about Mierce, Kingdom Death and more
http://sendtheeighth.blogspot.de/
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Moving, parry and sight arcs

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:58 am

deadlydeceiver wrote:1. Following situation: An attacker has two enemies in front of him, both looking his way.

First of all, hopefully the Charger could charge the furthest away unit - I am assuming they're two units, rather than one, and so my answer is based on that.

deadlydeceiver wrote:The attacker charges the enemy that's further away, thereby passes close by the other enemy and ends his charge move in engagement distance of the passed enemy. Due to passing so close the attacker is now in the blind arc of the passed enemy and can possibly do some serious damage. Is this allowed?

Of course. It's the Attacker's fault - he should have anticipated that would happen. However, the "passed enemy" could only attack react in the charger's blind arc if the charger actually attacks him. He'd have to hope that the charger stays where he is, otherwise.

If the two enemies are in the same unit, the passed enemy can attack the charger in his blind arc as an attack reaction; the charger shouldn't have passed him.

deadlydeceiver wrote:2. As a the armour+ of a shield isn't added against attacks in the blind arc, does that also mean that it isn't "used", thus not confering "Parry"?

Correct. Only if you're using the shield, will it give you a parry.

deadlydeceiver wrote:3. While the Gorgons net snare is in effect, the Gorgon may not "use the Net Combat weapon". Does that also remove the additional parry-modifier for the time being?

Correct.

deadlydeceiver wrote:4. Is a units sight arc determined by all of it's models? So basically by placing them in a funny circle I get a 360° sight arc?

Yes. Of course, that opens the unit up to blind arc charges...

deadlydeceiver wrote:5. During run and walk movements a model may freely change directions as many times as it wishes. This is not regulated by any kind of arcs. So I as far as I understand, I can turn 180° run "backwards" and then turn to face the front again. If that's possible, I don't understand the whole "move backwards" section and why the paragraph is called "move forwards" :lol:

The "Move Backwards" is there because of the Withdraw and Retreat actions, among other things; so it's kind of superfluous at the moment as they're part of the full rules.

deadlydeceiver wrote:I hope I could bring my points across. Didn't write English in a while ;)

Only that first question gave me a bit of trouble - but don't worry! Your English is perfect.

Hope all that helps.

Cheers
deadlydeceiver

Postby deadlydeceiver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:56 am

Rob Lane wrote:First of all, hopefully the Charger could charge the furthest away unit - I am assuming they're two units, rather than one, and so my answer is based on that.

Oh, yes of course they aren't part of the same unit. Sorry for the confusion.

Of course. It's the Attacker's fault - he should have anticipated that would happen. However, the "passed enemy" could only attack react in the charger's blind arc if the charger actually attacks him. He'd have to hope that the charger stays where he is, otherwise.

If the two enemies are in the same unit, the passed enemy can attack the charger in his blind arc as an attack reaction; the charger shouldn't have passed him.

I've prepared a little graphic to clear the situation, I hope it helps ;-)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/syavqhj64i2hp ... c.jpg?dl=0

By doing this move, the attacker gets a very good shot at the blind arc of the passed unit as he basically charged it's blind arc despite being in it's front arc when he began his movement.
So it doesn't seem like a "fault of the attacker", more like a really evil move (especially if he had sightless strikes)

If all that were allowed: Would the attacker get (swift) charge boni against the passed unit?

Correct. Only if you're using the shield, will it give you a parry.

Good to know. Just to be sure: I can "use" a weapon with parry against attacks in the blind arc, correct?

Yes. Of course, that opens the unit up to blind arc charges...

Well, doesn't it prevent exactly this? By placing my models in a circle, everyone facing outside, I basically have no blind arc (apart from an enemy smashing past the line)

Oh, that brings up another weird thought in my mind :P Assuming an attacker attacks a unit with multiple models. Due to the placement of said unit he's in the blind arc of some models and in the front arc of others. May he choose whom to attack or does he have to attack the majority? Also if he attacked the "blind arc-models" and did more damage than these models had constitution would it carry over to the "front arc models"?

Best DD
kingkris

Postby kingkris » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi,

from looking at your diagram the passed unit could not be attacked as it is in the chargers blind arc. Unless the charger has blind strikes of course.
deadlydeceiver

Postby deadlydeceiver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:24 pm

kingkris wrote:Hi,

from looking at your diagram the passed unit could not be attacked as it is in the chargers blind arc. Unless the charger has blind strikes of course.

You can also strike to the back with your normal attacks, they would just be difficult strikes then. As the charger is also in the passed units blind arc - so normaly easy strikes - they'd be normal strikes in the end.

EDIT: This is sooo totally wrong :P
Last edited by deadlydeceiver on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:22 am

deadlydeceiver wrote:Oh, yes of course they aren't part of the same unit. Sorry for the confusion.

Right, thought so.

deadlydeceiver wrote:I've prepared a little graphic to clear the situation, I hope it helps ;-)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/syavqhj64i2hp ... c.jpg?dl=0

Certainly does!

deadlydeceiver wrote:By doing this move, the attacker gets a very good shot at the blind arc of the passed unit as he basically charged it's blind arc despite being in it's front arc when he began his movement.

Well, according to that graphic, he can't attack the passed enemy unless he has blind strikes or is entitled to sightless strikes (so Ysians and trampling monsters and so forth).

deadlydeceiver wrote:So it doesn't seem like a "fault of the attacker", more like a really evil move (especially if he had sightless strikes)

Why is it evil? Not sure what you mean here.

Let's be clear: the above is perfectly allowed! It's an involuntary Charge. You meant to Charge the first unit, but have also Charged the second unit.

deadlydeceiver wrote:If all that were allowed: Would the attacker get (swift) charge boni against the passed unit?

Only after certain elements are sorted out. Note, here, the restrictions of the Charge action (which is not yet available I know, but it's worth clearing this up):

"A Charging unit's warriors may also become engaged with multiple enemy units simply through the act of moving into attack range when the Charge Move is completed. Every enemy unit thus engaged or beset by the Charging unit, regardless of how this occurs, become Charged units and the Charging unit is deemed to have performed an involuntary Charge upon them. However, the Charging unit must engage and perform Charge Attack actions with as many of its warriors as possible with the compulsorily or voluntarily Charged units first, and in charge order, before the involuntarily Charged units."

So you'd only really be looking at blind strikes that couldn't attack the Charged unit, although most blind strikes these days are also sightless strikes.

In summary: you attack with everything you possibly can against the unit you've Charged compulsorily or voluntarily; then you can use whatever's remaining against the involuntarily Charged unit.

deadlydeceiver wrote:Good to know. Just to be sure: I can "use" a weapon with parry against attacks in the blind arc, correct?

No, unless that weapon states "sightless parry" or "blind parry". For the record, Ysians won't get sightless parry on their weapons. There's a limit!

deadlydeceiver wrote:Well, doesn't it prevent exactly this? By placing my models in a circle, everyone facing outside, I basically have no blind arc (apart from an enemy smashing past the line)

Not when you come up against Trample... ;o)

deadlydeceiver wrote:Oh, that brings up another weird thought in my mind :P Assuming an attacker attacks a unit with multiple models. Due to the placement of said unit he's in the blind arc of some models and in the front arc of others. May he choose whom to attack or does he have to attack the majority?

In the Attack action text, p6:

"Always Attack the Easiest Strike
If an Attacking warrior has the choice to Attack warriors of the same class and Skill, yet one of those Attacked warriors is easier to strike than the other, the Attacking warrior will always choose the easiest strike. This does mean that the Attacking warrior may not be able to combine his Attacks with other warriors from his unit, however."

deadlydeceiver wrote:Also if he attacked the "blind arc-models" and did more damage than these models had constitution would it carry over to the "front arc models"?

If they're part of the same unit and have the same class and skill, yes - trying to differentiate such things would be a nightmare and there is a point where game mechanics have to flow. Everything goes on to the wounded warrior, and so forth.

deadlydeceiver wrote:You can also strike to the back with your normal attacks, they would just be difficult strikes then. As the charger is also in the passed units blind arc - so normaly easy strikes - they'd be normal strikes in the end.

The intention is that you can't unless you can make sightless / blind strikes. If there's something that contradicts this, please tell me where it is so I can fix it...

Hope that helps.
deadlydeceiver

Postby deadlydeceiver » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:33 am

Ooooooh, how stupid can I be?

I think I just got my "difficult strikes to the back" from the strike modifier table, but yes the "strike sight chart" makes it perfectly clear.

So normal strikes only work to the front and sightless strikes to the back are actually difficult strikes... that sheds a new light on combats ;)
Also thanks for the quick sneak peak on the charge restrictions.

No, unless that weapon states "sightless parry" or "blind parry". For the record, Ysians won't get sightless parry on their weapons. There's a limit!

It's like you're reading my mind... :lol:

Not when you come up against Trample... ;o)

Oh, you are evil... I need to know :mrgreen:

And thanks for the quick explanation of "attack the easiest target"

Best DD

Return to “Darklands Rules and Musters - Updates, Errata and Addenda”