Hello

For players in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales to introduce themselves.
Geoff

Hello

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:53 am

Hi, I'm Geoff, from Preston, a recovering board and roleplaying gamer and new to the whole wargaming scene. Pleased to be here.

Darklands is my second wargame, after an introduction to the hobby by my friend Arthur via Malifaux. Malifaux is a great game, full of interesting lore and vivid characters. Great models for a first timer to build and paint and, being a small squad skirmish game, can be bought into without a huge outlay. But the swords 'n sorcery genre is where my heart and imagination truly lie - heroic acts of valour on a battlefield strewn with terrible monsters and brave warriors having at it, the air heavy with the electricity of arcane spells... you know the thing. Typical fantasy fluff..

Anyway, picked up the game at Salute 2018 after spending a few hours over a few weeks looking at the miniatures on the website and wondering how this game works, how cool everything looks, and ... how can I afford this?! The game reminded me of 2000ad's Slaine world setting, and the dark, adult theme is appealing amongst all the PC, watered -down, mass market stuff.

Seeing the Mierce stand at the show with all the models on display, talking to a very enthusiastic and helpful Rob (man, thanks for the time you gave us at a busy show and we both really appreciated the signed books) made splurging out on a starter set and extra large beast a no-brainer. Arthur did not need much 'talking into' to join me, so I could have someone to actually play it with, as he was just as impressed with everything he saw too. Many thanks to all the guys working the stand, and especially to the lads at the demo table who allowed us a quick go and spent awhile answering our questions. The MASSIVE rulebook was not off-putting - it actually sealed the deal for me. I'd have probably bought that without any miniatures, I love reading rulebooks (must be a throwback to my RPG GMing days). So to get an insanely deep rule-set together with some of the best models out there just made my day.

I'm playing Ysian forces at the moment, currently working as fast as possible to build and paint the mini's bought at show (and a few more since from the webstore) and kindred terrain. I'm so slow at this stuff but gotta deadline - I'm on the lists at the June tournament(!), so it's all go. Attending to get a proper grilling on the rules, meeting other players and forum members and hoping it will lead to a long and rewarding adventure in the Darklands.

So, hail and well met good fellows, may you always have the initiative!

I must thank my mate Arthur. He's been instrumental in getting me into the hobby, has been an ever-flowing font of information and advice (midnight texts over how to paint metal armour inc), and has proved to be one of the most reliable and encouraging people I know. Cheers man!
Last edited by Geoff on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brightblade

Re: Hello

Postby Brightblade » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:35 am

Hail and well met Geoff, and what a great introduction..

I was introduced by a friend also, and am still learning all the rules but getting better, love the game and love the mini's, have three full armies so far, and may be starting on a fourth really soon, sadly I'm not much of a painter, but I keep looking at painting sets and brushes on Amazon, so I may well jump in very soon..

My sister lives not to far from Preston, and my Dad is buried in that general area, I visit quite often, if you play at a club up there, maybe Ill pop by when I'm up and give you a game..
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:46 am

Hey Brightblade!

if you play at a club up there, maybe Ill pop by when I'm up and give you a game..

Absolutely. Just drop us a PM when next you are planning a trip and we can arrange something. Great stuff.
Arthur

Postby Arthur » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Geoff wrote:Arthur did not need much 'talking into' to join me

I did feel slightly compelled if I'm honest!

But I am loving the figures and working through the rules with you

Return to “UK”