Sheffield Slaughter 2021 - Darklands Event

A place to talk about Darklands Events!
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Sheffield Slaughter 2021 - Darklands Event

Postby Rob Lane » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Miercenaries!

We have the honour of participating in the 2021 Sheffield Slaughter tournament - at which there will be 100+ gamers, mostly AoS but also... and more importantly... Darklands!

The event will be held at the DoubleTree Hilton at Sheffield Park on the weekend of 26th/27th February 2022 and we have space for 12 Darklands players (so 6 games). The full address for the hotel is:

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, Chesterfield Rd South, Batemoor, Sheffield. S8 8BW. Free parking at the venue.

There'll be five games over the weekend, three on Saturday, two on Sunday, and we'll be using 1,500 silver hosts that MUST be fully painted.

Mats and terrain will be provided and set at the beginning of the tournament; you must bring your own kindred terrain, but you cannot move the existing terrain (and if you replace with your kindred terrain, placed back in the same place as before).

There'll be prizes for first, second and third place, as well as a wooden spoon for the lucky loser, best sportsman and best painted army.

You can find the tournament rules pack here: Sheffield Slaughter 2022 Darklands Tournament Rules Pack

Confirmed entrants are:

Rob Lane (Khthones) - paid
Tim Fisher (Atalantes) - paid
Jon Chester (Brythoniaid) - paid
Christian Hacon (Jutes) - paid
James Polmear (Atalantes) - paid
Andy Parkinson (Ysians) - paid
Hugh Badham (Fomoraic) - paid
Dayle Archer (Byzantii) - paid
Kenton Sheppard (Albainn) - unpaid
Joe Connor (Ysians) - paid

Prospective entrants are:

Danny Pegg (Anglecynn) - unpaid

Let's please try to get a good mix of kindreds at the event - it would be amazing to have all of them represented!

Entrants will be confirmed once they have paid £30 to cover food at the event and our costs. Please PayPal me (make sure you elect to pay the fees) at roblane@the-lanes.me.uk.

Once you've paid I'll give you the discount code for the hotel and eventually we'll sort out a rules pack and more details about what we'll be doing at the event!

Cheers
Rob
Bishmeister

Re: Sheffield Slaughter 2021 - Darklands Event

Postby Bishmeister » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:47 pm

Funds sent, cheers.
Victory for the Jutes.
Kenton

Postby Kenton » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:02 pm

How n00b friendly is this? I imagine I’ll be awfully slow. Like my giants (well, daddy giants at 1,500).
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:37 pm

Kenton wrote:How n00b friendly is this? I imagine I’ll be awfully slow. Like my giants (well, daddy giants at 1,500).

All the events, including the Coffa Tree Competitions always welcome new players and there will be lots of experienced players on hand to talk you through everything and to help you play the game and suggest actiuons for you..

Come along, you'll love it.
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:52 am

What Scott said! Come along and have a look, even if you don't want to play, just watch what goes on!

Cheers
Rob
Kenton

Postby Kenton » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:10 am

Now I have to figure out whether or not to go FULL GIANT or lots of smaller gribblies? The former does make my decisions fewer each turn . .

How are the games structured? Is it area control or mungo smash or a mix?
Brightblade

Postby Brightblade » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:53 pm

Kenton wrote:Now I have to figure out whether or not to go FULL GIANT or lots of smaller gribblies? The former does make my decisions fewer each turn . .

How are the games structured? Is it area control or mungo smash or a mix?

The games will generally be a 1500 Silver Battle game, that is you can spend upto not exceeding 1500 Silver on constructing your army, the games themselves will be Battle Skirmish games, each table will be laid out with Terrain, and depending on your Attacking or Defending dice roll you will be able to add 1 or 2 bits of Kindred Terrain to the table to assist your army. Kindred Terrain can be found in the Rulebook if you are unclear on what each Kindreds is.

You and and your opponent will choose in secret a Positioning Ground from a choice of PG's and will the deploy within that Ground in turn based on Muster Factors.

Decide on who goes first with an Initiative roll and off you go, aim of each Tournament game will be to kill as much of your opponents army without losing yours, each battle will play probably over 6 game turns, but in most cases will finish before the 6th turn.

It is great fun, it's a great bunch of guys, and we help each other out especially with Rules and Newbies.
Devlin Brightblade, Lord of Saxon Hammerwich, Slayer of Trolls, Tamer of Manticores, Petter of Flint Flang the Kill Thing from the Infernal Pits..

As you slide down the Bannister of Life, may the Splinters be kind...
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:10 am

I will be doing a rules pack in early January, so watch out for that - but it's broadly exactly as Brightblade suggests.

Cheers
Rob
Kenton

Postby Kenton » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:26 am

Ok, I’m confused. I was hoping to put in for this today but the rules seem to require an edition that isn’t available and the musters have now all changed so I can no longer make a legal list. What rules are being used at the event and what muster rules are valid?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:50 am

Kenton wrote:Ok, I’m confused. I was hoping to put in for this today but the rules seem to require an edition that isn’t available and the musters have now all changed so I can no longer make a legal list. What rules are being used at the event and what muster rules are valid?

Second edition is out for download, the musters are on the webstore already (https://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=drm); I've just not organised a second edition mailshot yet to tell you how to get the download. Basically if you've paid for a rule book you'll get access to the download, and if you're a playtester you'll have access to the download...

Would you like me to make you a playtester on the forums? Rhetorical question: I'll do it now... log out, log back in again...

Cheers
Rob
Kenton

Postby Kenton » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:08 pm

Fantastic Rob, I’ll send my monies if I can make a list with what I have and the leaders I ordered last weekend.

EDIT: sadly, even if my ordered bits arrive I can’t make a legal list after the changes. Will try to sort it for next time. Pretty bummed as I just spent a while painting the lot.

Need to buy more Oghurithne leaders to unlock the big lads.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:38 pm

Kenton wrote:Fantastic Rob, I’ll send my monies if I can make a list with what I have and the leaders I ordered last weekend.

EDIT: sadly, even if my ordered bits arrive I can’t make a legal list after the changes. Will try to sort it for next time. Pretty bummed as I just spent a while painting the lot.

Need to buy more Oghurithne leaders to unlock the big lads.

Damn, that's a shame - what exactly do you need? Is it the money that's the problem, or the painting of the new things?

Cheers
Rob
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:48 am

Right then chaps... the first round draw is as follows:

Rob Lane (Khthones) v Kenton Sheppard (Albainn)
Dayle Archer (Byzantii) v Hugh Badham (Fomoraic)
Tim Fisher (Atalantes) v Christian Hacon (Jutes)
Andy Parkinson (Ysians) v James Polmear (Atalantes)
Jon Chester (Brythoniaid) v Joe Connor (Ysians)

May the odds be ever in your flay-vour...

Cheers
Rob
Kenton

Postby Kenton » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:55 am

Eek!

I'll brush up on anti-snake tactics then :)

The current pinnacle of Albainn tactics is hit them with a big lad as early and often as possible. Try not to die first.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:37 am

Kenton wrote:Eek!

I'll brush up on anti-snake tactics then :)

The current pinnacle of Albainn tactics is hit them with a big lad as early and often as possible. Try not to die first.

I hear bonking them on the head with a suitably large stick helps
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Kenton

Postby Kenton » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:54 am

Well that was a blummin good time!

Appreciate all the help and patience from everyone at my lack of rules knowledge and (sometimes) surly disposition at the consequent series of "gotcha" moments! The last game on Saturday was a tough one for me as there was a lot to learn and it was late for an old giffer like me :)

That said I enjoyed every game and will certainly try to make the next one!

If I could get something organised in Stockport and/or Sheffield would people be interested in another event? If so, what sort of date?

Perhaps just a one day 3 round affair as a warm up for one of the other big ones?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:15 pm

Kenton wrote:Well that was a blummin good time!

Appreciate all the help and patience from everyone at my lack of rules knowledge and (sometimes) surly disposition at the consequent series of "gotcha" moments! The last game on Saturday was a tough one for me as there was a lot to learn and it was late for an old giffer like me :)

Mate, thanks for attending and I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I think - I hope! - we all did!

Kenton wrote:If I could get something organised in Stockport and/or Sheffield would people be interested in another event? If so, what sort of date?

Perhaps just a one day 3 round affair as a warm up for one of the other big ones?

Haha brilliant, I'd definitely be interested.

I'll be running an event over the summer in Sherwood somewhere, and I know Jon wants to run another Coffa Tree in September time, so there's your dates to avoid...

It would be ace if we could get a few tournaments going each year! Growing the game!!

Cheers
Rob
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:39 am

Kenton wrote:Well that was a blummin good time!

If I could get something organised in Stockport and/or Sheffield would people be interested in another event? If so, what sort of date?

I didn't get to play yourself, but your army looked brilliant.

Glad you had a great time mate, really enjoyed seeing everyone turn up, hopefully we'll meet again at another event in the future :D
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:44 pm

I've done a nice little mini-report on Facebook for everyone - I'll probably pop it on a mailshot as well...

https://www.facebook.com/mierceminis/po ... 6285888243

Cheers
Rob
JonG

Postby JonG » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:35 pm

This looked brilliant! I would love to try and come to one of these in the future too! Just out of interest is 1500 silver the standard host size for these tournies? If so then I know what I need to aim for by then!
Cheers
Jon
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:23 am

JonG wrote:This looked brilliant! I would love to try and come to one of these in the future too! Just out of interest is 1500 silver the standard host size for these tournies? If so then I know what I need to aim for by then!
Cheers
Jon

Yes mate, 1,500 silver is the preferred size.

I'll be running a Grand Tournament in Sherwood over the summer - watch out for an announcement soon... it'll be the one to aim for!

Cheers
Rob
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:23 am

JonG wrote:This looked brilliant! I would love to try and come to one of these in the future too! Just out of interest is 1500 silver the standard host size for these tournies? If so then I know what I need to aim for by then!
Cheers
Jon

Yes mate, 1,500 silver is the preferred size.

I'll be running a Grand Tournament in Sherwood over the summer - watch out for an announcement soon... it'll be the one to aim for!

Cheers
Rob
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:25 am

Cheers
Jon

I will be running an event around September time, dates and if it will be a two dayer tbc, which will be based from my club in Bedworth, Warwickshire. It will be 1,500 silver same as last time I ran it and hopefully by then the book will have been out a good while so we all have had a chance (especially me!) to digest the rules fully and know where to find them for reference.
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100

Return to “Darklands Events”