Ask Me Questions!

Somewhere to discuss or ask questions about the lore surrounding the Lands of Darkness.
Grizzle

Re: Ask Me Questions!

Postby Grizzle » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:33 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
demyse wrote:what happened to conjunct 1-9,11 and 12?

They got deaded.

Cheers
Rob

But will there be future conjuncts? There's plenty of numbers.

I know some will also be 'meldings' rather than stitched.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:49 am

There may well be some more, yes...

Cheers
Rob
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Hey Rob, I've thought of a lore question that may well have been asked many times before, but it's concerning the Terror of Fortriu.

Now here is the text from the website: "The cold mountains of Fortriu, in the far north where ice and snow hold sway, was the domain of a horror that none dare speak of lest it hear their words and descend upon them with all the fire and fury such foolishness deserves. A barbaric Chimaera of manticore and wyrm and goat, an unspeakable atrocity to nature and the order of things as they should be, the Terror of Fortriu’s true origins have been lost to the annals of Man and to the Gods themselves for millennia. Few mortals have seen the creature and lived. Fewer still have escaped its fire. All are marked by their ordeal until their own end, their spirit broken by a primeval force that demands their soul, for so marked, many return to the Terror’s fiery embrace, unwilling to live for a future where their dreams are torment and their reality anguish."

What I want to know is: How did the Ysians come by such a creature? If you are able to elaborate.
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:31 am

Grizzle wrote:Hey Rob, I've thought of a lore question that may well have been asked many times before, but it's concerning the Terror of Fortriu.

Now here is the text from the website: "The cold mountains of Fortriu, in the far north where ice and snow hold sway, was the domain of a horror that none dare speak of lest it hear their words and descend upon them with all the fire and fury such foolishness deserves. A barbaric Chimaera of manticore and wyrm and goat, an unspeakable atrocity to nature and the order of things as they should be, the Terror of Fortriu’s true origins have been lost to the annals of Man and to the Gods themselves for millennia. Few mortals have seen the creature and lived. Fewer still have escaped its fire. All are marked by their ordeal until their own end, their spirit broken by a primeval force that demands their soul, for so marked, many return to the Terror’s fiery embrace, unwilling to live for a future where their dreams are torment and their reality anguish."

What I want to know is: How did the Ysians come by such a creature? If you are able to elaborate.

They heard about it and thought it was be a perfect addition for their beastmasters! So they went and got it, fighting a few Albainn along the way. Not much of a story really.

The real story is that I invented that name way before Darklands was invented, but the above works easily enough... I could have changed his name, but decided against it.

Cheers
Rob
HughB

Postby HughB » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:43 pm

Phyllis of Carn BeBeBotheredWorkingAnymore would be equally as cool though. Phyllis the chimera. Scary beans.
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
Grizzle wrote:Hey Rob, I've thought of a lore question that may well have been asked many times before, but it's concerning the Terror of Fortriu.

They heard about it and thought it was be a perfect addition for their beastmasters! So they went and got it, fighting a few Albainn along the way. Not much of a story really.

The real story is that I invented that name way before Darklands was invented, but the above works easily enough... I could have changed his name, but decided against it.

Cheers
Rob

That makes sense, being as it is a pretty iconic miniature Mierce produced. Also it's one of the few Ysian monsters that is apparently a natural blend of those creatures, as opposed to magic or stitching them together, although something magic could have created it.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:27 pm

It’s such a gorgeous model but prefer the banebeast rat head over the goat
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Jonathon Chester wrote:It’s such a gorgeous model but prefer the banebeast rat head over the goat

Oh I like the goat, but I'd be tempted to get two for the alternate heads. I could magnetise, but I already own one.
Jonathon Chester

Postby Jonathon Chester » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Grizzle wrote:
Jonathon Chester wrote:It’s such a gorgeous model but prefer the banebeast rat head over the goat

Oh I like the goat, but I'd be tempted to get two for the alternate heads. I could magnetise, but I already own one.

Weirdly I prefer the original drake head but the tail and rat head lol. Think it’s that I feel the goat looks odd next to the others.

Really do like it nonetheless
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2018 - 127/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2019 - 128/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2020 - 100/100
One Hundred Minis Challenge 2021 - 12/100
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Jonathon Chester wrote:
Grizzle wrote:

Weirdly I prefer the original drake head but the tail and rat head lol. Think it’s that I feel the goat looks odd next to the others.

Really do like it nonetheless

I'm with you on the drake head. The Szalamakh head isn't bad, but it looks like it's smirking at me as if it will be waiting in my shower.
Grizzle

Postby Grizzle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:23 pm

Oh yeah, Rob...what is an under-goblin?

From the Vras banner text for Quick-Blade:

Quick-blade is Blunt-Claw's favoured kin and thus assured of a much-vaunted place in his war-host, that of kin-caller, the one that calls the kin to battle and keeps them there. Few Warrior-vermin will break where Quick-blade stands, where he brandishes the kin's banner, for it has a history and a power that none dare incur the wrath of, and Quick-blade himself - as his name suggests - is not slow to punish those found wanting in the wars against the above-men and the under-goblin.Quick-blade is Blunt-Claw's favoured kin and thus assured of a much-vaunted place in his war-host, that of kin-caller, the one that calls the kin to battle and keeps them there. Few Warrior-vermin will break where Quick-blade stands, where he brandishes the kin's banner, for it has a history and a power that none dare incur the wrath of, and Quick-blade himself - as his name suggests - is not slow to punish those found wanting in the wars against the above-men and the under-goblin.
Icchan

Postby Icchan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:50 pm

https://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php ... nf_203_000
Aelgar is a wihtgar herald and he chooses to play the horn. How?
Can humans even hear the sound?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:53 pm

Icchan wrote:https://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_jut_wht_inf_203_000
Aelgar is a wihtgar herald and he chooses to play the horn. How?
Can humans even hear the sound?

No, but his mates can, and that's the point.

Remember...

WIZARDS DID IT

Cheers
Rob
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:55 pm

Grizzle wrote:Oh yeah, Rob...what is an under-goblin?

'Tis just a word they use to describe them - just like the Angles would use elves to describe spirits, etc.

Don't get excited - there's no goblins in this game. The word still exists though, in its original meaning. Orc too.

Cheers
Rob
cornishlee

Postby cornishlee » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:58 am

Something that's bugged me for a while - is there a lore reason for Urbad's hammer being called a mattock?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:26 am

cornishlee wrote:Something that's bugged me for a while - is there a lore reason for Urbad's hammer being called a mattock?

None whatsoever... you're right, I should call it a hammer really.

Cheers
Rob
Rage

Postby Rage » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:32 am

Hm, I suppose, slavs in darklands would be part of byzanti faction or? How come there's no slavic faction?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:32 am

Rage wrote:Hm, I suppose, slavs in darklands would be part of byzanti faction or? How come there's no slavic faction?

There is, it's just not been done yet... and I'll kindly ask you not to say the f-word!!!

It's KINDRED!!! :twisted: :evil: :lol:

Cheers
Rob
Rage

Postby Rage » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:38 pm

Oh, so it means there will be a kindred force?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:05 pm

One day...

Cheers
Rob
Rage

Postby Rage » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Awesome. Also, visigoths have no troops. Is that a future project as well?
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:27 am

Rage wrote:Awesome. Also, visigoths have no troops. Is that a future project as well?

Again, one day... there is one Visigoth: Danilo Cruz! A sell-sword, but still a Visigoth...

Cheers
Rob
Crazyguy501

Postby Crazyguy501 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:13 pm

Rob Lane wrote:
There is, it's just not been done yet... and I'll kindly ask you not to say the f-word!!!

It's KINDRED!!! :twisted: :evil: :lol:

Cheers
Rob

In relation to other Kindreds have you had any thoughts relating to (I think they are around this time frame or just before/after) Huns/Mongols types? Huns I think are slightly before and Mongols are after the set time period. Interesting to see a cavalry focused kindred on the table

Thanks

James
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:33 am

Crazyguy501 wrote:In relation to other Kindreds have you had any thoughts relating to (I think they are around this time frame or just before/after) Huns/Mongols types? Huns I think are slightly before and Mongols are after the set time period. Interesting to see a cavalry focused kindred on the table

Thanks

James

Not really, to be honest - I have enough on my plate doing northwest Europe... but given the time and opportunity, aye, I'd probably do something like them one day.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Lore”