Dyndraig vs Forest

Show off your own musters and the tactics you use here!
jereme

Dyndraig vs Forest

Postby jereme » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:24 pm

One of the cool features of the Darklands game is the ability to interact with terrain. I explore the rule interactions required for a unit of dyndraig to burn down a forest to root out pesky foresters.

We’ll begin by looking at the characteristics of a forest. We will use a Small Forest (14” x 14”, Con 80, Density 3) as described in 3.3.4. According to 3.3.3.3.2 Terrain Wounds, this forest has 14 x 14 x 3 = 588 wounds.

Our unit of 5 dyndraig maneuvers into position where they’re able to hit the forest with their Fire of Gwaelod breath attack. Referring to 6.34.3.2 Spraying Terrain, the unit will have a total of 5 shoot dice needing 2s to hit (skill 28 vs 0, easy shots). The forest will evade using its constitution of 80, requiring 3s to avoid taking damage. Probability says that the dyndraig probably only do a single point of damage per turn using their fire breath, with a 5% chance of the forest actually catching fire.

Unless I’m missing something, it’s not really worthwhile to try to burn down the forest.

Some thoughts I had on how to make this more effective:
  • provide some sort of multiplier for spray attacks against terrain (use density?) to increase the chance of a fated hit to cause continuous damage
  • adjust the modifiers to the evade roll. Trees do a better job of avoiding damage than an unconscious warrior
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Dyndraig vs Forest

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:33 am

jereme wrote:One of the cool features of the Darklands game is the ability to interact with terrain. I explore the rule interactions required for a unit of dyndraig to burn down a forest to root out pesky foresters.

We’ll begin by looking at the characteristics of a forest. We will use a Small Forest (14” x 14”, Con 80, Density 3) as described in 3.3.4. According to 3.3.3.3.2 Terrain Wounds, this forest has 14 x 14 x 3 = 588 wounds.

Our unit of 5 dyndraig maneuvers into position where they’re able to hit the forest with their Fire of Gwaelod breath attack. Referring to 6.34.3.2 Spraying Terrain, the unit will have a total of 5 shoot dice needing 2s to hit (skill 28 vs 0, easy shots). The forest will evade using its constitution of 80, requiring 3s to avoid taking damage. Probability says that the dyndraig probably only do a single point of damage per turn using their fire breath, with a 5% chance of the forest actually catching fire.

Unless I’m missing something, it’s not really worthwhile to try to burn down the forest.

Some thoughts I had on how to make this more effective:
  • provide some sort of multiplier for spray attacks against terrain (use density?) to increase the chance of a fated hit to cause continuous damage
  • adjust the modifiers to the evade roll. Trees do a better job of avoiding damage than an unconscious warrior

Well - all I will say for now is, I'm happy with how it currently works simply because of one factor - have you ever tried to burn live wood? Yes you can damage it, but will it catch fire?

Greenwood is very difficult to burn.

Cheers
Rob
Kragnorak

Postby Kragnorak » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:16 am

Is there a weather modifier? Forest burning in the British Isles in spring is very different than California in summer for example, where any ol' Bic lighter can lose hundreds of acres
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:17 pm

Kragnorak wrote:Is there a weather modifier? Forest burning in the British Isles in spring is very different than California in summer for example, where any ol' Bic lighter can lose hundreds of acres

A good point, and something I'll definitely consider. Pop it on the "rules questions" forum and I'll have a thunk...

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Tactics and Musters”