Muster list building

Show off your own musters and the tactics you use here!
Alex (ÉgB)

Muster list building

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Wed May 25, 2016 1:49 pm

Here's a couple of questions for those who've built and played muster lists:

1. How important are missile troops? Do musters without them suffer, or is it an element you can successfully use tactics to mitigate against any issues of not having them?

2. Has anyone made use of the Host Command option? I'm toying with lists which add a Sorcerer and Army Banner Bearer as the Host Command with my general, is that workable when I don't have the spare gold to give them units of their own to command?

3. Do units truly function best at Effective size, or do small units work for some types of warrior? Is, so, what types does it work for? On the other hand, which troop types have you found to benefit from maximum unit size?

That turned into a few rather than a couple, sorry! Just trying to get some feeling of how to better determine future purchases now I've got 2k+ of each of my kindred on order!
Érainn go Brách!

Blog: Alex Does Hobby Stuff
hdma

Re: Muster list building

Postby hdma » Wed May 25, 2016 4:30 pm

follow...

hope to have answer after a couple of match
Rob Boyce

Postby Rob Boyce » Wed May 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Obviously all of the below is my personal opinion and based on limited experience but:

1. Missile troops aren't essential by any means but are an important tool in the Darklands toolbox with quite a few different uses. They are useful as a bunker for your wizards that mean you can keep your wizard away from combat but not have his unit just function as ablative wounds. Some missile troops can shieldwall and produce very strong defensive walls that are able to whittle the enemy down and pick off or weaken major threats before combat is met. Then units such as Maiobanagh can pop up all over the place and harass your opponent, forcing him to deal with them and keeping his sorcerors honest.

2) I've not used it myself, it does mean you can get a few more characters into a unit than you would normally be able to but not all kindreds have all the elements available. Not sure you can add a wizard unless he's your general but I may be wrong.

3) In short not necessarily. You need to consider the nature of the unit and how you expect it to function on the battlefield. Min size units of missile troops function as the aforementioned wizard bunkers or nuisance units, individual monstrous infantry can be a good cheap way to get extra activations and and also force your opponent to respond to them, or possibly draw feral units out of position. At the other end of spectrum cheap infantry or infantry with spears or other long range weapons can be strong in bigger than effective units. A unit of 10 Tarvax would be a force to be reckoned with but would be a fair whack of gold!
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Thu May 26, 2016 8:37 am

Cheers Rob, some useful insights there!

I the Host Command part, the muster rules lists the options as:

General
Host Nobles (champ, banner etc)
Other non-allied Nobles
Hearthguard

I anticipated my sorcerer would come under the third point, or have I misunderstood?
Érainn go Brách!

Blog: Alex Does Hobby Stuff
Rob Boyce

Postby Rob Boyce » Thu May 26, 2016 9:05 am

Ah yes I think he would! Hadn't seen that before and thought it was only host banner,champ or herald

Return to “Darklands Tactics and Musters”