Summaries of each Kindred's playstyle

Show off your own musters and the tactics you use here!
Stu

Summaries of each Kindred's playstyle

Postby Stu » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:26 pm

Had a bit of a thought just now. I recall seeing a blog post by someone a while ago which attempted to summarise how each Kindred plays on the table, crunch-wise, and if I remember rightly it wasn't 100% complete. With that in mind I figured: Rob, could you give us a bit of a summary of what, in your mind, each Kindred's playstyle is? Looking over the Musters, the rules-wise differences between Kindreds seem (compared to other games) to be fairly subtle and nuanced, so I think it'd be interesting to know a bit about your thought process when you're designing the Kindreds.

I think it'd be handy for people considering picking up Darklands too; I agree with the advice of "choose the Kindred you like the look of", but as the game grows there are inevitably going to be people who want to know how each Kindred plays before they commit. It'd be nice to have a 'Word of God' answer.
CountCrushmore

Re: Summaries of each Kindred's playstyle

Postby CountCrushmore » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:17 am

Rob made a post about that some time ago, had to dig through the comments but here it is:

Here's a short synopsis:

Albainn - very anti-magic, lots of giants and ogres that dish out good combat skills

Anglecynn - ferocious and fast but fragile, cunning and sneaky, these guys hit hard but find it difficult to survive protracted combats

Atalantes - strong and slow, the automata never break and are implacable enemies

Brythoniaid - swift, shooty death - the dragons breathe fire upon the enemy and the infantry shoot the rest

Byzantii/Infernii - solid infantry, murderous monstrous infantry and much hell fire to burn the enemy (And HIppoxa ;D - editors note)

Érainn - a good all rounder; nasty infantry and monstrous infantry, huge tree-beasts and life magic

Fomoraic - combat orientated; they're very nasty in combat, not much shooting and use the cold to affect the enemy

Jutes - the undead allied with humans; resurrection of warriors that die. They're quite slow, but very difficult to shift

Khthones - mostly monstrous infantry, these guys hit hard and use venom to debilitate larger enemies

Norse - fast and strong in combat, lots of flyers, but very little cavalry and ranged attacks

Ysians - ferocious creatures and corruption, the infantry are very good, but nothing has much armour to speak of"
You can´t spell cOuNt crUshMOre without ONUMO!
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Summaries of each Kindred's playstyle

Postby Rob Lane » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Yea, I will do something official at some point; I need to do something like that for shows, to hand out, so I'll get summat done soon enough.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Tactics and Musters”