Which base size gives you the most bang for buck?

Show off your own musters and the tactics you use here!
HughB

Which base size gives you the most bang for buck?

Postby HughB » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Question about tactics, unit selection and number crunching if I may? Generally speaking, as base size goes up, M+W and C+A go up but skill goes down. Has anyone (other than Rob - think he's probably done it once or twice) done much analysis/number crunching on cost of the various different base size units and their damage output against other base size units? If so, have you found that there is a particular sweet spot in the monstrous infantry bracket where units are big enough to take a beating/deal out a load of damage while still being skillful enough to grab hold of those tricksy 30mm infantry?

The reason I ask is that my experience of some of my monstrous units has been somewhat underwhelming. My 100mm base monsters do have quite a number of attacks but tend to miss when attacking 30/40mm base units so don't tend to get many hits with their conventional attacks. Conversely when the same monster attacks a 60mm base unit, it can hit pretty readily but can't do enough damage to kill off that many of the 60mm unit and then gets murdered on the attacks back.

One main problem may be that I'm tending to attack conventionally rather than trample into/through things or slam things over/stomp on things etc etc.
I think I might be a bit spoiled with the basic infantry from my first kindred as well. Gabrax have a skill in the 40s with pretty hefty M+W, +1D10 damage on their two handed weapon and 17 points of constitution. Thats a pretty hefty package. I'd be tempted to spam them in a muster (with some back up to stop them running away) but their damage resistance is not the best and spamming stuff doesn't give you a particularly fun painting/playing experience.

Thoughts?
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Rob Lane
Site Admin

Re: Which base size gives you the most bang for buck?

Postby Rob Lane » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Don't mean to hijack, but... you should always look at gold v gold. How much gold is that monster you mention, compared to the unit it's up against?

All I've ever tried to do is balance gold; base sizes are neither here nor there to be honest. If you're putting less gold against more gold, you'll lose every time.

Personally, I don't charge monsters less than 500 gold into a unit of 500 gold monstrous infantry. Simple as that... well, unless I'm desperate. What I would do is charge the monster in, and something else.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “Darklands Tactics and Musters”