Thoughts on a possible darklands scenario around allied forces.

Show off your own musters and the tactics you use here!
HughB

Thoughts on a possible darklands scenario around allied forces.

Postby HughB » Mon May 07, 2018 8:25 pm

So I was doing a bit of prep prior to playing a game of darklands today. I knew I was facing Vras and I new my opponent was taking Alix. As I know that he also collects byzantii and infernii I was taking a look at the slaughterfiends stats just to see what I might be up against. While checking the muster sheet out it occurred to me - what would happen if Alix was killed. At that point there's nothing really binding the slaughterfiend to the Vras so whats to stop the slaughterfiend going on a bit of rampage. I couldn't find anything in Alix's entry or Golgogs entry in the sell swords muster but it did get me thinking.

A few people on here have asked for or expressed an interest in different scenarios for a game of darklands. Could you therefore make a scenario around a shaky alliance of kindreds?

So the premise of this scenario is that two forces face each other in the field and both forces are made up of two allied kindreds (so different kindreds rather than different realms). You could make each allied contingent a third of each total force or you could change the restrictions sightly and make the allied contingent make up a half of the total gold cost of each force. There are various things you could do from there. You could play the game as a four player game with each person playing a section of each army. You could play it as a three player game with two players and an impartial third player or you could play with just two players.

What happens as the game progresses could stress the alliance or improve it. You could have a gradation with open hostility at one end and firm friendship at the other. Different kindreds may inherently start nearer one end than the other and then things that happen during a battle may move the alliance nearer firm friendship or nearer open hostility. For example, the allied contingent may take more casualties than the main force or the allied contingents units could become shaken/under strength/lose their commander etc etc.

If you wanted to get a bit more complicated you could use the existing mechanics for changing orders - messengers, heralds and banner bearers etc or the inspire/daunt/roar/auger mechanics to do some basic diplomacy between the opposing forces main kindred and the allied contingent of the other force to try and win the allied contingent over to the other side - authority checks for units with positives negatives based on how far they are from their own general, whether they've been contacted by messengers etc from the opposing force etc etc.

Just a thought. Please feel free to add any thoughts you have on expanding on the idea below. Equally feel free to ignore it completely :-)

One advantage of this scenario would be that it allows you to play two kindreds together in the same game. So bigger points games while still being able to collect smaller amounts of several different realms/kindred.
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false

Return to “Darklands Tactics and Musters”