Monthly painting challenge - any interest?

For Mierce products as well as anything else you may want to show off
zedmeister

Monthly painting challenge - any interest?

Postby zedmeister » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:05 am

So, after participating in a few of these on other forums and having success in getting quite a bit painted, I thought I'd canvass to see if there is any interest in doing this for Darklands.

Challenge? What's it about then?
The basic gist is that you pledge to paint an amount for the month, do your best to paint and meet your challenge and earn points at the end of the month if you have completed your pledge. There's no obligation to do anything (beyond bragging rights), but it can help as a handy motivator to turn some of those resin and metal piles that most of us have into painty goodness. Points will go towards individuals and Kindreds.

Scoring points
Simply put, you score points based on the size of the miniature along with the amount you paint. Handily, we can use the Darklands strength as a measure of points:

1 - per 30mm base in the unit
2 - per 40mm base in the unit
3 - per 50mm base in the unit
4 - per 60mm base in the unit
6 - per 80mm base in the unit
10 - per 100mm base in the unit
12 - per 120mm base in the unit
+1 Bonus Point for a Warchief
+2 Bonus Points for a Warlord
+3 Bonus Points for a Unique

As you can see, the bigger the model, the more points. So if you pledge a single Ax-Drune, you'll earn yourself 1 point. Paint up Angrislaug and you earn 12 points. There's bonus points for leaders to bring some balance and to make sure that those who paint Kraan don't feel like they've earned a measly point for a centrepiece model (they'll earn 4 for him!). If you paint 10 Ax-Drunes, you'll get 10 points. I think you get the idea.

Running the challenge
In order to keep things tidy, we'll keep all challenge posts to the single thread for that month. We'll start a new thread when the next month comes around, so we'd create a March Challenge thread then a new April Challenge Thread and so on. This helps keep track of the pledges and will help in building up a wall of fame. I'll also ask Rob or Tim if they wouldn't mind sticky-ing a "Challenge Hall of Fame" thread when it is created so that we can keep a gallery of the completed pieces as well as ongoing totals. The idea is that anyone can run a challenge thread. It doesn't have to be me, but anyone can post up a new thread for a new month, and if there are any takers, off we go.

Intimidated? Experienced? Doesn't matter!
Darklands miniatures are beautiful and detailed, but don't leave them bare because you are worried about doing a bad job or feel intimidated. Use these challenges as way to practice, improve, learn about colours used and share techniques. Start off on small 30mm base models and work upwards. You'll be amazed at how quickly you improve over time. Remember, this isn't a competition. You won't be forced to take Torku out on a date if you feel to complete a pledge that month but instead see it more as a mutual support group. Lets turn our grey (well, cream) hordes into wonderful miniatures.

So, anyone interested? Shall we run a trial March Painting Challenge?
deadlydeceiver

Re: Monthly painting challenge - any interest?

Postby deadlydeceiver » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:44 am

Ah, a painting challenge! Has been a while since I participated in one of those. I'm on!

So I pledge to paint 30 points of Khthones. (3 Gorgonar, a Hydrakh and a Hydra)

Best Sven
Come visit my blog about Mierce, Kingdom Death and more
http://sendtheeighth.blogspot.de/
JerzyK

Postby JerzyK » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:22 pm

Great idea!
I will paint Brugg, Death-Brute for whole 5 Points (4 for 60mm base + 1 for Warchief). Maybe I will paint something more in March, but cannot guarantee.
Slinky

Postby Slinky » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:32 pm

I aim (I stop short of saying "pledge") to get 3 Hrafnmenn painted!
zedmeister

Postby zedmeister » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:29 pm

Good, there's some interest. I'll post on the Kickstarter comments, see if I can drum up some more challengers! I'll start a new March (including Feb) challenge when we have a few more who may join in...
razormage

Postby razormage » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:50 pm

I'm in. Can I include stuff I start painting tonight?
--Ryan Smith
Blog: http://thebeerwaaagh.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @beerwaaagh
zedmeister

Postby zedmeister » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:54 pm

razormage wrote:I'm in. Can I include stuff I start painting tonight?

Don't see why not. Get a few before pictures. I'm planning to pledge 8 Duguth and two of them are part painted anyway. I'll start up a new March challenge thread.
Skull king

Postby Skull king » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:40 am

[*]I'm in Zed!

I just began painting about 18 points worth of Tarvax this month, so I've got a bit of a start already. I'll make an attempt to get a full 30 pts of Fomoraic by month's end, along with 40pts worth of Ysians next month!

Just FYI - my Tarvax hero I'm painting now will be used as a Tain or untain depending on the situation, and I think many heroes which are sort of 'ambiguous' will have these properties. So it seems like the bonus points for painting a warchief and a warlord shouldn't be different.

Return to “Painting and Modelling”