That Guys Darklands stuff

For Mierce products as well as anything else you may want to show off
That Guy

That Guys Darklands stuff

Postby That Guy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:53 pm

Hey all,
Dan Pratt has been pestering me to post some of the paint I've been working on so here we go.
When I learned about Darklands I immediately gravitated to Angelcynn; monsters and trolls are all well and good but I have a soft place in my heart for real world critters and their anthropomorphic incarnations in fantasy. So, wolves and bears??? Yep, sign me up.
One of the most attractive aspects of Darklands, for me, is the idea that we're looking at historically realistic guys in the "what if scenario" of "Holy crap, those stories were true and they fought alongside the stuff of legends. So when I started picking colors I wanted at least a dash of dirty realism in the paint schemes and not the kind of bright craziness I'm usually tempted to do with other table top games. That being said I went full nerd and did a little bit of research and even traded some emails with these guys:

http://www.ealdfaeder.org/v03/home.html

They were very helpful and cool to talk to and I quickly realized that even though I wanted to hint at realism my skills werent up to snuff to do full on historical accuracy. At the end of the day what I came away with were some very simple guidelines.
1. No red or black cloth (from what I gathered was that both of these colors were possible to dye in 7th century England but would fade very quickly to pink and gray)
2. Light blue would be the color to put on banners, and important dudes as a there sort of "national color".( I wasnt excited about blue but the earliest flag I found was this and I wanted to pay tribute to it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercia
3. Avoid a uniform. (As I understand it,in most cases the warriors of these forces would have an arm ring or some kind of trinket to show their allegience, a fully dyed head to toe unform for every warrior that shows up to fight for you just wasnt happening back in those days)

So heres the disclaimer. Those were my rules and I break them when I see fit. Also I think my painting is in the "OK" category but I've got a long way to go before I'm content with my skills.

this is one of my favorite models of all time and my hosts Forthegn every time we take the field. Eadric is a stud and the sculpt is awesome.

Here is the duguth. I definately didnt want these guys to look like they were wearing uniforms so I tried to give them individual colors. Splashes of the blue in attempt to tie it together. From what I was able to find out none of these wooden shields survived the ages well enough to know what they would have been painted and decorated as. I figured since these shields would have been abused and not likely to surveive very long, it was my chance to throw in red. There seems to be some paralells between norse mythology and what we know of Angelcynn so I went ahead and looked to norse runes and such for some inspiration.

Here are 4 Gesith (7 still waiting on paint). I figure if anybody is gonna wear a "uniform" it would be the Forthegns inner circle of drinkin/fightin buddies.So blue tunics and linen pants all around. (I absolutely adore how these guys work in conjunction with Duguth on the table top. Spears make me happy, thank you Mierce Miniatures, for representing a spear properly in gameplay!)

Sleanbera. I actually dont plan on running much Beornica stuff, I like the swift sneaky swarms of wolves, but bears are cool and I had to have this guy. I mean, how do you pass that up? Its a bear in a diaper with an monsterous axe. Its too cool.

Last but not least, Creoda. Admittedly the pictures on the website made Creoda one of my least favorite models I knew I'd end up buying, but as soon as I held the actual model in my hands and looked it ove, I was sold. Its such a subtle and well sculpted piece of awesome that I've flipped 180 on my opinion of the guthwulf.
When I painted him I did a little digging and found out Creoda was one of the first kings of Mercia, and as I understand the fluff, he is quite old by time Penda comes to power, and has spent a long time devolving into this giant crazy wolf (please correct me where I'm wrong). So I wanted to have some fleshy tones where his fur was thin or non-existant to attempt to show there was a guy in there somewhere. I dont know if I achieved that effect but I like it anyway.

Again, please correct me where I'm wrong, I'm interested in this stuff but not a historian by any means. And I realize how crappy these pictures turned out, I will strive to do better in the future.
That Guy

Re: That Guys Darklands stuff

Postby That Guy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:03 pm

Heres a WiP of my second army. Krokods! Again, lovin the real world critters put into anthropomorphic realism. Crocs and gators have always fascinated me, so it was a no brainer to pick up this realm of Kthones.
Only one guy, mostly done at this point, but I feel good about how its coming along.
I figure if these guys were slaves of Atlanteas, then its likely they might be able to trace some kind of origin back to Africa. So I thought "Maybe when they get some freedom they want to embrace some of their heritage with warpaint?" So I tried to give them a tribal Africa warpaint vibe. The choice to use purple was an easy one: Dan Pratt made some joke about purple alligators when I started this project and then was all appalled when I said I was actually going to paint them purple. So, the short of it is, I painted them with purple warpaint cuz Dan didnt think I would. And I love it. Bite me Dan Pratt, they are purple!
Slinky

Postby Slinky » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:13 pm

I love Creoda! He's next up on my list of things to paint for Angelcynn, probably and I have been agonising over how to paint him - I may aim for something similar but with a grey base :)
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:22 pm

the hardest part of painting Creoda properly is mixing the proper shades of pink to do justice to his dangle-berries and butt-hole. Good luck man, I'll keep an eye out for your interpretation of Creoda!
socius

Postby socius » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Great thoughts about the color scheme for your Angelcynn. I had exactly the same, but I decidet to give the duguth a uniform color scheme because they are describet as professional verterans as well. The ceorl and bowmen will gat a lesser uniform look.
I really like youre Sleanbera and Creoda.
Well done!
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:23 am

Just wanted to let you guys know, in case you missed the original post.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=458
Dan Pratt and myself will be at Buckeye Battles 2016 with Darklands in tow.
Our goal is to just get in some gaming over the three days and talk to anyone who stops by our table and wants try out Darklands.
If theres enough interest from the Darklands community here, theres still time for us to throw together some tournament style,ranked play. Otherwise we'll just be drinking,laughing and throwing dice at each other for 3 straight days
If youve never heard of Buckeye Battles, its a big deal in the Midwest and loads of fun. Totally worth the commute to come hang out with everyone.
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:14 pm

these guys are just now headed to the garage to get a coat of primer and then on to paint. I just wanted to post a pic of the "naked" models here and give some credit to the boys over at Mierce. I'm new to Darklands but I've put together a lot of models before this. There were hardly any mold seams to smooth out and hardly any gaps to fill.These things went together so easily, it had to be mentioned.

image post
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:47 pm

Progress has been incredibly slow on these guy, I really do need an 8th day in the week.
But I do love how just a little bit of color really wakes these Mierce models up. A few passes of flesh tones and some white belly fur and you can really see the models start to come alive.

image upload no compression
Dan Pratt

Postby Dan Pratt » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Looking good man. Can't wait to see your guthwulf style translate to the werwulfas.
JLLongshore

Postby JLLongshore » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Fantastic! your animals are amazing!
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks for the praise and feedback guys. Its always appreciated.

Progress has been slow as usual but thats just kind of how I operate lately. However I did make some progress on the werwulf banner and I could use some input.

adult image hosting

temporary image hosting

the banner itself is mostly done, but it needs some key touch ups here and there. My conundrum is about the "flag" itself. I dont think these guys who have decided to go full wulf mode would bother to do a lot of decorating on their banner.But would they smear some blood on it or something? maybe a small bloody hand-paw print?
I dont want to over do the blood spray and gore thing, its just not my style but maybe this time it would be to good effect.
Is less more?
Could these guys be bothered to go beyond what they've assembled and paint up a flag?
greyknight

Postby greyknight » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:06 pm

Maybe not so much paint there own flags, but maybe take trophies of others flags. Have a mishmash on the flag with the different panels. Or try to make a wolf design out of a mishmash of flags.
Dan Pratt

Postby Dan Pratt » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:48 pm

I think painted paw-hand prints or maybe a large bold crude simple design. Fang It!
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:20 am

Dan Pratt wrote:. Fang It!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VufilzHKTqk

Fanged
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Thu May 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Werwulfs are done!(sort of, I need to order more and paint those too)
and as a bonus you guys get to see what a mediocre paint job looks like under piss-poor lighting. Yay!
print screen windows xp

free photo hosting

print screen windows 7

image url

picture uploader

images hosting
Dan Pratt

Postby Dan Pratt » Thu May 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Looking good man. Let's kill 'em!

Don't you wish our US buddies would come play with us at Buckeye Battles in July? That's were these guys will face some Brythoniaid burny doom.
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Wed May 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Dan Pratt wrote:
Don't you wish our US buddies would come play with us at Buckeye Battles in July? That's were these guys will face some Brythoniaid burny doom.

Translation: "Burny doom"= a well massacred feast of dragon-thing flesh

Not much of a post this time. Just the Wiglere. I wasnt really dont painting him, I just decided to stop chasing my tail for now. While I was painting him I was content with individual colors but side by side there just wasnt enough contrast, no "pop". So I dubbed him table-worthy and will revisit him later when I have other projects under foot.

image hosting free no registration
picture uploader
img
Dan Pratt

Postby Dan Pratt » Wed May 18, 2016 8:24 pm

I think he looks just fine. I think the color scheme will help you easily remove him from the table in ignominious defeat.
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Sat May 21, 2016 10:32 pm

Dan Pratt wrote:I think he looks just fine. I think the color scheme will help you easily remove him from the table in ignominious defeat.

Ignominious defeat? Stop using words above your station you ceorl. I believe the wiglere has a special bit of middle finger up his sleeve just for you.
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:51 pm

I've been crazy busy lately, with things that dont involve painting little awesome fighty dudes, However I did manage to get a little bit of work done.
Heres 3 more Gesith to the Anglecynn forces that will be at Buckeye Battles (which is getting frighteningly close and there is much to do)

upload picture

img host

how to capture screen
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:19 pm

And heres someone else that will be at Buckeye Battles, lookin to make a snack of some Brythoniiad twats. Cnebba the Maegenwulf.
This model is beautiful. No dangly skull necklaces or cool armor, it gets by on the anatomy in the sculpt alone. The pictures here dont do it justice, you've really gotta hold this thing in your hand and see it with your own eyes to appreciate it.

Speaking of anatomy, had to do some gap filling on his junk.
image url

Here was where I decided to lay down some flesh tones. I never really considered doing him as a black wolf, but just after these few sloppy passes, black could be a groovy option for someone lookin to paint Cnebba in the future.
forum image hosting

I did consider doing him as an all white wolf but after laying down a few passes of white I realized my skills werent up to par to really sell the all white thing. It was just too much white on such a large model
free photo hosting

So I went with more of a gray wolf pattern and tried to retain a fair portion of the white I had initially considered
photo upload
print screen
screenshot software
image post

On a side note, I've been waiting for Mierce to give us wulfa models for a long time. I mean, like, A LONG time. Like ever since they showed up on the army musters forever ago. I have a vision of running tons of them to make up the bulk of my forces. So as I was painting Cnebba I was fantasizing about all the cool little wulfas running around with him, wrecking shop, eating faces, and frolicking in the blood spray of their enemies. And it made me yearn for someone other than Penda to be able to "compel" wulfas to mainstay units. So I suppose this is my plea to the All-Mighties over at Mt. Mierce-lympus: Please oh please can Forwiglere or Werwulf Forthegn please gain the ability to bring wulfas to the field as mainstays? Note, that I'm not asking for the lower Wigleres and Thegn level guys to do it, please just give me someone a little cheaper than Penda who can compel wulfas so I can bring the swarms of pain in smaller games. oh please oh please oh please etc etc etc...... (insert soggy puppy dog eyes here).
Dan Pratt

Postby Dan Pratt » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:35 pm

Looking great once again!
Dan Pratt

Postby Dan Pratt » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:20 pm

In a Battle, you need 3+ mainstays and 2-8 commons. If you want a wulfy list, you could take enough werwulfas or waelwulfas to fill mainstay, then load up the wulfas in the common slots. That's 80 wulfas max.
Rick_Boer

Postby Rick_Boer » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:04 pm

You can also bind wulfas to your other wolfy units to up that amount even further
CountCrushmore

Postby CountCrushmore » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Very nice Wolves - I like the mixture of white and grey that you´ve chosen on your miniatures.

Cnebba looks great in all three patterns, sinister and agressive in black, old and venerable in white and awesome in grey - all shemes look great but I think you´ve picked the best combination - great paintjob!
You can´t spell cOuNt crUshMOre without ONUMO!
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:07 pm

@Dan and Rick- i suppose its true that i can run huge swarms of wulfas in the current muster....if you want to bother doing the math. I,however, as a superior form of caveman prefer doing my whining and moaning unhindered by calculations and your evil mathmagic.
@count crushmore-much thanks homey
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:08 am

Did some arm swapping on werwulfs in an attempt to put some variety of poses in the unit. Figured it couldnt hurt to show off where the greenstuff is before I throw paint at them

Imagefree image uploading
CountCrushmore

Postby CountCrushmore » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:54 am

Great conversions - the poses are very dynamic and agressive, well done!
You can´t spell cOuNt crUshMOre without ONUMO!
Dan Pratt

Postby Dan Pratt » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:30 pm

Looks great, I love the alt champ/herald
JLLongshore

Postby JLLongshore » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:12 am

so sad I couldn't make it down to Delaware like I had planned and looked forward to :(

Return to “Painting and Modelling”