Advice assembling humans and pinning wrists

For Mierce products as well as anything else you may want to show off
Blue Prophet

Advice assembling humans and pinning wrists

Postby Blue Prophet » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:47 am

I am curious about how many of you assemble human sized figures, particularly the wrists/weapons. Do you pin them every time you can?

These Darklands models have more naturally proportioned wrists and hands (ie. small). I'm a novice modeller and painter and am a little intimidated with the best approach. I've only assembled Ffion in metal. I managed to get a thin guitar string (like .5mm I think) in the wrist/hand holding her flute. Greenstuffing that tiny joint was difficult. I just received a metal Nuala and am looking at her thin wrists holding the big staff and sword, and am wondering how I'll manage to get those attached.

At what point to do just glue it and trust that will hold it? I assume all small bits like horns or weapons are best just glued on the smaller models without bothering to pin (I'm getting small figures in metal from now on).

Any tips for filling the tiny gaps effectively? I found it very hard to get a small enough amount of greenstuff on Ffion.
Dave Fraser

Re: Advice assembling humans and pinning wrists

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:29 am

I think it was a .5mm drill bit but might have been 1mm. Whatever size fits a normal paper clip which is what I use!
Tim Fisher

Postby Tim Fisher » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:14 pm

You can get drill bit sets on ebay for a reasonable price. I use some pretty small ones on some parts and will sometimes use brass wire as opposes to brass rod on the really fine bits - whatever works really!

For filling small parts you could try Citadel Liquid green Stuff. Works very well and can be watered down to flow into smaller crevices.
Alex (ÉgB)

Postby Alex (ÉgB) » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:27 am

+1 for liquid green stuff.
Érainn go Brách!

Blog: Alex Does Hobby Stuff
That Guy

Postby That Guy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:45 pm

I use bits of small paper clips and the appropriate sized drill bit. Theres a few places where it gets to narrow for that method but more often than not it works swimmingly.

Return to “Painting and Modelling”