Painting Ravens

For Mierce products as well as anything else you may want to show off
James Balmer

Painting Ravens

Postby James Balmer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Title says it all really. Has anyone got any advice/hints/ techniques for getting that blue tint that raven feathers have?

James
Andrew K

Re: Painting Ravens

Postby Andrew K » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:06 pm

I have some Ravens to do for my Norse army so have given this a little thought.

It would depend on your way of painting and what you level you were aiming for.

For speed. Base coat black. dry brush a medium grey all over. Then a more focused dry brush of a lighter grey to end of wings. Finish with a blue ink or wash all over the model (repeat this for extra saturation). You could then wash black into recesses.

I would personally prime grey. Then base coat with a mix of black and mid blue (around 70/30). I would then highlight up gradually reducing the black up to the pure mid blue. Be careful not to over highlight so the model starts to look grey/blue rather than black. Edge highlight with a lighter blue. I would then probably go over the highlighted area with a blue ink to increase saturation and give it a more satin to glossy finish. And finally pick out a few edge highlights with spots of white to increase the shiny look.

I haven't tried either of the above out though... :)

Andy
James Balmer

Postby James Balmer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Andy,
Thanks for the reply. I suspect that with my current painting skills (none existent) that the black base followed by successive layers of drybrushing may end up being the best option for me.
Would you recommend any particular inks to achieve that glossy finish?

James
Andrew K

Postby Andrew K » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:53 pm

James,

I have scale 75 inktensity which has a nice satin finish. Army painter quick shade is another choice.
If you don't have any inks you could use just very watered down standard blue acrylic paint. In all cases wick the water off the brush to prevent the paint pooling in the recesses as you want it on the raised areas.

Andy
Andrew K

Postby Andrew K » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:54 pm

(Wick water off on a paper towel)
James Balmer

Postby James Balmer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the scale 75 ink out.

James

Return to “Painting and Modelling”