Removing mold lines

For Mierce products as well as anything else you may want to show off
AndyP

Removing mold lines

Postby AndyP » Fri May 24, 2013 9:22 am

Purely out of curiosity, how long does it take you to remove the flash and mold lines on minis? I read some peoples stuff on line and they don't seem to take anywhere near as long as I do. Am I just a slow worker or am I more of a perfectionist than these people? An example I can give is the Circle Oroboros battle box for Hordes. An online source said they removed the mold lines and cleaned up the whole box in 1/2 a day, whereas it took me 1 & 1/2 days. Last night I spent 2 & 1/2 hours cleaning and partially assembling Carroweck on horse and Hywel Hir with a craft knife, brass brush and fine sanding stick. (left carrowek's cloak and reigns off and didnt glue him to the horse and left hywel's standard off).
Does anyone else take this long or am I just slow? Want to know as none of my friends bother with this sort of prep as they can't be bothered so I can't really compare.
As I always say. At the end of the day.................it goes dark :-)
AndyS

Re: Removing mold lines

Postby AndyS » Fri May 24, 2013 11:28 am

It takes as long as it takes Andy! Then you undercoat and find more so you have to do it again!
I tend to clean and assemble models in batches, when I'm in the right mood, then I don't have to do any for months, because I paint so Damn slowly!
Wyrd bið ful aræd
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Fri May 24, 2013 12:03 pm

I tend to do the same with batches of models at a time. I just wondered, facing this mountain of resin in front of me, if anyone else took as long as I do :-)
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 pm

I take a long while removing mold lines myself. It is just part of the process. I'm also a slow painter and figure if I'm going to be spending a lot of time on the miniature I want it to be as perfect as possible when I start. For me there is nothing worse then spending a lot of time on a miniature and then finding an obvious mold line. It varies depending on how bad the mold lines are or if they happen to be in tough to reach or detailed areas but in general I spend a lot of time on clean up.
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Fri May 24, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks. It seems to take forever to get the minis ready for priming with clean up, drilling and pinning then gap filling. So long as its not just me :-)
Azhrarn

Postby Azhrarn » Fri May 24, 2013 3:29 pm

AndyP wrote:Does anyone else take this long or am I just slow? Want to know as none of my friends bother with this sort of prep as they can't be bothered so I can't really compare.

I generally take a long time to clean my minis as well, a 28mm model usually takes me around an hour, depending on how badly it's in need of cleaning up.
The Maaru I have took a several of hours to do properly (some chunky channels needed removing with some care, and stuff had to be rebuilt afterwards), most of the cast was very clean though.
War Beckons, and I Answer
Funkychef

Postby Funkychef » Thu May 30, 2013 9:31 am

As others have said, it takes as long as it takes to get it right :)

I do most of my cleaning up and building on my lunch breaks at my desk, so I just take my time and enjoy knowing once it's done it can go home to add to the hoard of painting to do :( I think I'll be investing in an airbrush soon to see f that can help speed things up slightly
Aka Dave
Rick_Boer

Postby Rick_Boer » Thu May 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Funkychef...Oh it helps to get started...But you'll be sitting on a pile of basecoated mini's instead ;)
Funkychef

Postby Funkychef » Fri May 31, 2013 2:34 pm

No, I'm being firm with myself this year, I'm making a serrious dent in my 'to paint' pile

I'm signed up to a tale of gamers challenge to get an army painted with my local club, I've signed up to another painting oaths group on FB, and I'll be getting my project log on whineseer back up and running as well, and I've told myself I want to be able to demo Darklands before the full rules KS with 2 painted starter forces, so there's my motivation for here :)

I'm still going to end the year with a nett increase to my painting pile, curse you KS, but it will be less of a nett increase :)
Aka Dave
Quuids

Postby Quuids » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:56 am

I was just wondering if you guys would mind giving me advice on removing mold lines from resin. Mierce minis is my first foray into resin and I am just newer in general. I feel like I am stripping away a lot of detail when I remove the lines. I looked on YouTube and various blogs and started mostly using an exacto knife to remove the lines. Previously I used files. Does anyone have any tips or techniques that would help me out?

Thanks again, I love this forum!
warchild40k

Postby warchild40k » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:37 am

I use a couple of methods, it depends on where the mold line is located. I will scrape some with an xacto and use files on others, either way I will try to hit the area with some very fine grit sandpaper as well if possible to smooth it out and remove any scrape or file marks. Removing the lines should not remove detail. If a line is that pronounced then it may be a miscast. Lines should generally be pretty fine and easily removed without damaging detail.
grefven

Postby grefven » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:07 pm

I agree with warchild40k. Removing mold lines shouldn't be any problem at all using either files or knives as long as you are gentle and careful.
EVL HMR

Postby EVL HMR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:16 am

Mold lines are an necessary evil with all miniatures. Some have barely any, some the mold,has,slipped and half the,model will need to be scrapped and filed and rebuilt. For me, the worst thing on a mini is a mold line.Personally, it takes me hours to clean a resin mini, I also use watered down miliput to smooth any mold lines that I can't fix with filing. And painting takes me way too long too!
“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”Lance Armstrong
razormage

Postby razormage » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:20 am

EVL HMR wrote:Mold lines are an necessary evil with all miniatures. Some have barely any, some the mold,has,slipped and half the,model will need to be scrapped and filed and rebuilt. For me, the worst thing on a mini is a mold line.Personally, it takes me hours to clean a resin mini, I also use watered down miliput to smooth any mold lines that I can't fix with filing. And painting takes me way too long too!

I'd never thought of using milliput to sculpt back up to a mold line instead of gratuitously filing it down! I'm going to have to give that a try on the next one I clean. Thanks for the idea!
--Ryan Smith
Blog: http://thebeerwaaagh.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @beerwaaagh

Return to “Painting and Modelling”