Taalon's Trolls

For Work in Progress blogs.
Taalon

Taalon's Trolls

Postby Taalon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:39 pm

Bought these beauts off AndyS last week- I love the Mierce Trolls! It's two years since I painted Gamla Bror and although I think I've improved since then I still think because of the awesome sculpting he holds up as one of my best! Anyway I got this unit and wanted to paint them in the theme of British Amphibians. This is because on my way to work each day I cycle past a bit of marshland, and because I'm a nerd, most days I imagine the trolls rampaging around on it. Anyway these are WIP and I have had shaky hands recently but have bashed some base coats onto them!

Oh and I found am old one of Gamla Bror

Cheers!
Slinky

Re: Taalon's Trolls

Postby Slinky » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:22 pm

Looking good! I think the two-tone look with lighter "underbelly" works really well with the Mierce trolls, but I didn't feel confident enough to try it on mine...
Taalon

Postby Taalon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:30 pm

Cheers! I don't pretend mine are amazing or anything (although I'm fairly happy with them given the very small amount of painting time I get) but the two tone in my case is achieved by using a large citadel drybrush (or similar size square brush) choosing two colours, smashing the paint onto the biggest sections of each colour and then kind of blending/not blending where the colours join, it looks random in real animals so what the heck, and the shape of the brush does help it blend if you need it. My confidence comes from beer anyway!
Taalon

Postby Taalon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Err what I was getting at, badly, was don't let confidence or lack of get in the way of trying stuff because it's when you try stuff out that you learn!
Byzantii V

Postby Byzantii V » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:10 am

Cool trolls, Taalon. I especially like the yellowish one with the red war paint.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:34 am

trolls all look great and I do agree with you Mierce sculpts tend to make a pretty simple paintjob still look good. Certainly mine haven't required the amount of work as some other model ranges I've painted to look as good as they do.

Return to “Work in Progress”