Hrafnmenn as somewhat unlikely monster hunters

For discussion of Norse hosts and their strategies and tactics
HughB

Hrafnmenn as somewhat unlikely monster hunters

Postby HughB » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:25 pm

With a C+A of 40ish, I'm always a bit nervous of putting hrafnmenn into a particularly 'heavy lifting' combat situation. However with a skill of 40 and when hovering, it turns out that your average skill 20 monster is hitting them on 7s.

To this end if you can engage a monster that doesn't have a stomp attack and if you can engage them before they can land a swift engage on you - which you should be able to - then they're actually pretty difficult for the monster to attack back and if they do land a grab attack, you've got a reasonable chance of passing your skill check. Most 100mm monsters are going to be parrying on 2s, 3s and 4s but with sheer weight of attacks (a unit of four with a jarl attached for example) you're going to put poking a fair few 9s through and the monster is going to roll a few 0s etc. Could wait until the monster is weary, fly behind and still some attacks in then look to activate first in the next turn to get some easy strikes/difficult parries in there too.

What say you?
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false
Dayle12

Re: Hrafnmenn as somewhat unlikely monster hunters

Postby Dayle12 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:07 pm

Ive never had much luck with hrafnmann or the gunhrafn but thats probably my own inability to use them properly, i have found their particularly squishy,

My best advice though is dont rely on those 9's
And pick your targets wisely with them or theyll just end up being a waste

But the idea behind attacking a monster in its rear arc after its weary is a sound tactic but really dont expect them to survive, If the monster survives,
HughB

Re: Hrafnmenn as somewhat unlikely monster hunters

Postby HughB » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:12 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one that struggles a bit with the ravens. :)

I'm learning the hard way that sometimes just because you can soar doesn't mean that you necessarily should.

I'm slowly developing a list of 'things you shouldn't soar near'.

So far the list includes units that can shoots and drag - particularly walvax - they knock things out of the sky for fun.

I'm tempted to put khtones lists with a gorgor/sthena in there as well cos the grounding spell is not a pleasant experience.

That being said the raven men generally are very good at harrying warmachines/missile troops and getting rid of your opponents ranged game early doors.

With invoke/shoot reaction being a thing life has got harder for them though.

Having tried a mix of ravens, humans and trolls in a list recently I'm tempted to take the trolls out and put more humans in. That might be me feeling cut up because I failed a fortitude 90 test on my troll unit and watched it run away from a combat I needed it not to run away from though.
painting challenge 2019 - 67/100

All absolute statements are false

Return to “Norse”